Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,337 times

Advertisements

On any level? Meaning, people you meet remind you of a family member or their attitude and it's a positive or negative reaction? Or due to emotional memories, you feel a certain way at a certain point in a relationship and there is little you can do to either walk away or make further commitment? Are there people completely free of any ill-effects from their upbringing or find they've never dwelt on old issues?

Finally, how soon in a relationship does anyone ever want to hear about this type of baggage? I've met people who make it a point to tell me all their psychological issues, meds, daddy issues, whatever, and others never seem to go there. I'm never sure if people are asking for help, sympathy or just want me to be aware they've suffered. Anyway, just curious as to what people thought on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Does your pre-adult family life affect intimacy/relationships?

OF COURSE it does, more than just about anything else in your life.

If you feel you have some family baggage that may impact your future relationships, do consider some individual counseling to help you unpack some of that baggage before you try to get seriously involved with someone.

Best of luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Does your pre-adult family life affect intimacy/relationships?

OF COURSE it does, more than just about anything else in your life.

If you feel you have some family baggage that may impact your future relationships, do consider some individual counseling to help you unpack some of that baggage before you try to get seriously involved with someone.

Best of luck!

Agreed completely. Your upbringing effects your relationships with others but only to the extent that you allow it to.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Agreed completely. Your upbringing effects your relationships with others but only to the extent that you allow it to.
Agree that at the end of the day each person has the responsibility to decide what their life will be regardless of who and where they came from

The reality is though, that the younger and less mature among us often don't even realize they have that responsibility or any choices at all when it comes to allowing or not allowing dysfunction into their lives.

When we are lucky, with age comes a clear view and valuable wisdom

Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agree that at the end of the day each person has the responsibility to decide what their life will be regardless of who and where they came from

The reality is though, that the younger and less mature among us often don't even realize they have that responsibility or any choices at all when it comes to allowing or not allowing dysfunction into their lives.

When we are lucky, with age comes a clear view and valuable wisdom
I agree with this too. Far too many people let others make their choices for them and believe that they are truly helpless and cannot help themselves.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM

44,345 posts, read 20,044,222 times
I agree, especially with the first couple of replies. All relationships and life experiences affect who you are and how you interact with other people.

I don't feel there's any specific timeline for divulging stuff about personal baggage, past or present, to a partner. I would advise against getting into anything too heavy on the first date or two, but every relationship is different and progresses at a different rate. You just have to let nature run its course, and hopefully you would know when the right time is to talk about such things.

That said, I do think it's very important to be forthright about important things which may be potential stumbling blocks in a relationship. Keeping secrets will only lead to problems down the line. The big stuff should come out fairly early in the relationship.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-05-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Given my very strange father and the unhappiness he caused in his family life, I've pretty much had a negative example to go by.

It's not all his fault. He had serious depression issues. But he was also capable of amazing self-centeredness. So whenever I encounter a situation in my family life that I'm not sure what course to take, I ask myself, "What would Dad do?" and then choose the opposite. Typically works rather well.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Yes. I'm terrified of entering new relationships cause of the abuse I've been through.

I tell them from the get-go I need to take it slow. Details come later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships