U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,785,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
HIV and herpes are the same in one aspect - neither of them has a complete scientific cure.

It doesn't matter if it's herpes or HIV.

It's permanent. Let's be responsible and not encourage spreading it
WOAH! Where did you see me "encourage spreading" anything???

But herpes is not the end of the world. It also has no place in a conversation about HIV - that's like comparing a cold to liver cancer

Get educated my friend.

1 in 5 people now have herpes, though 80% of those don't even know it.

You could even be one of those 80%.

But suppose your lady love was in the 80% - you date, you fall in love, you know she's "the one".

Then a routine exam or sudden breakout leads to a formal diagnosis by her doctor.

Are you telling me you are going to drop the love of your life like a ton of bricks over that?

Because I'm telling you, anyone who would drop the love of their life just because they discovered they had herpes isn't really ready for the tough work being in a successful relationship involves. They should just date until they grow up a bit more.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 01-07-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,507,843 times
Quote:
You can't be serious

Herpes/HIV are set for life. You really think people should overlook that and enjoy intimacy and marry such persons, with repeated trips to the doctor. That's not having a heart, it's being irresponsible with personal health. One can freaking die, get all sorts of crazy things, that too things in the package. Don't pull that Rick Perry on me.

An asexual relationship perhaps. If both are 70+ and need each other's arms to go pee at night

And comparing heart disease to STD, are you under the influence or something? Please! What an insult to the millions who have natural heart disease to be pitted against contracting something by careless sexual contact.
What an incredibly self centered post.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,594,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WOAH! Where did you see me "encourage spreading" anything???

But herpes is not the end of the world. It also has no place in a conversation about HIV - that's like comparing a cold to liver cancer

Get educated my friend.

1 in 5 people now have herpes, though 80% of those don't even know it.

You could even be one of those 80%.

But suppose your lady love was in the 80% - you date, you fall in love, you know she's "the one".

Then a routine exam or sudden breakout leads to a formal diagnosis by her doctor.

Are you telling me you are going to drop the love of your life like a ton of bricks over that?

Because I'm telling you, anyone who would drop the love of their life just because they discovered they had herpes it isn't really ready for the tough work being in a successful relationship involves. They should just date until they grow up a bit more.
I wish I could be as saintly as you, but hear me out here

1. If she knew she had it and never told me, she led me on and she basically manipulated me. Then that means I can't have a relationship with her.

2. If the STD was in her by birth, she would have known at some point, owing to repetitive medical tests in life, for jobs, schools etc., and she should have told me up front. She didn't, and that's a big let down.

3. She didn't know she was getting it but she got it, which means she ho'ed around, had drunk sex blah blah blah..... a woman of character or a man of character "guards" his sexuality and never gets into bed for the sake of gratification. Yes, stand up women and men do exist. Even if she has had a few partners in her long life, she would have been extremely careful and conservative in making an educated selection of who she is intimate with. Birds of a kind flock together. All women I have been involved with in my life were stand-up, educated women who didn't basically ho around.

4. I don't have any disease of that nature in me, coz to this day I am well, alive and kicking

Sorry, loves, it just does not cut it. I will not get involved with a woman of a disreputable nature. Neither will I blindly recommend someone to go ahead and yap on about true love gibberish and experience.

Health is wealth. It's self-destruction. Love need not come at a self-destructive price... sounds masochistic There's nothing to grow up about here. It's a matter of self-destruction or not.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I wish I could be as saintly as you, but hear me out here

1. If she knew she had it and never told me, she led me on and she basically manipulated me. Then that means I can't have a relationship with her.

2. If the STD was in her by birth, she would have known at some point, owing to repetitive medical tests in life, for jobs, schools etc., and she should have told me up front. She didn't, and that's a big let down.

3. She didn't know she was getting it but she got it, which means she ho'ed around, had drunk sex blah blah blah..... a woman of character or a man of character "guards" his sexuality and never gets into bed for the sake of gratification. Yes, stand up women and men do exist. Even if she has had a few partners in her long life, she would have been extremely careful and conservative in making an educated selection of who she is intimate with. Birds of a kind flock together. All women I have been involved with in my life were stand-up, educated women who didn't basically ho around.

4. I don't have any disease of that nature in me, coz to this day I am well, alive and kicking

Sorry, loves, it just does not cut it. I will not get involved with a woman of a disreputable nature. Neither will I blindly recommend someone to go ahead and yap on about true love gibberish and experience.

Health is wealth. It's self-destruction. Love need not come at a self-destructive price... sounds masochistic There's nothing to grow up about here. It's a matter of self-destruction or not.

My friend, you know I love ya, but you've got a lot of growing up to do when it comes to relationships.

It's really sad to me that you assume any woman with herpes would have to be of a "disreputable nature" was not "standup" or "educated".

You really could not be more wrong.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,755,666 times
It would be helpful to know exactly what the OP is talking about.

If it's Herpes, which type? I've seen studies that show that up to 80 or 90% of the adult population has Type I, so unless you've actually had a blood test and it was negative, you have NO way of knowing whether you might already have it yourself. Absence of symptoms does not equal absence of the virus.

Antlered, when's the last time you were tested?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
It would be helpful to know exactly what the OP is talking about.

If it's Herpes, which type? I've seen studies that show that up to 80 or 90% of the adult population has Type I, so unless you've actually had a blood test and it was negative, you have NO way of knowing whether you might already have it yourself. Absence of symptoms does not equal absence of the virus.

Antlered, when's the last time you were tested?
<deleted>

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 01-07-2012 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Personal info

Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much for making it personal. Last week of December. Total body test for my upcoming permanent residency/citizenship process. American government makes sure people like me are clean.
Good grief - so the people who have STD's are not "clean"??? Is that a cultural bias showing through?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,755,666 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for making it personal. Last week of December. Total body test for my upcoming permanent residency/citizenship process. American government makes sure people like me are clean.
The Government makes you get a type-specific test for Herpes

Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My friend, you know I love ya, but you've got a lot of growing up to do when it comes to relationships.

It's really sad to me that you assume any woman with herpes would have to be of a "disreputable nature" was not "standup" or "educated".

You really could not be more wrong.
I'm sorry I'm not sorry for having such high tolerance levels when it comes to jeopardizing my health. In that case, I am better off not growing up

Old 01-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
The Government makes you get a type-specific test for Herpes
I highly doubt it. Most people who don't even know they have herpes don't know simply because it is NOT routinely tested for. I have a hard time believing we test our international friends for it. TB? Sure. HIV, Sure - the things that can actually kill.

You can get a physical every year and seem completely healthy and still have herpes in your body without ever knowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships