U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,690,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
It would be helpful to know exactly what the OP is talking about.
I agree; we need to know the specific disease before we start speculating.

I do think that it would be pause for concern; this is your health that you are talking about. And while herpes is not a death sentence, it's not exactly the common cold.

When I was dating my boyfriends and I exchanged recent STD test results before we had sex (even oral - you can catch things that way too). Yes, I pissed off several people but better safe than sorry. I'm actually shocked that you would depend on someone to tell you in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,703,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterbetter View Post
i care for a person, but found out she has std, and i am having a hard time with now knowing this and would you continue with the relationship? I understand you can't die from this, but it's still something I don't want to have on my body.... just a tough situation , just asking for any "good" advice...
I think it would depend on how much time you've invested in the relationship and which STD she has.

[agree with others that she deserves credit for honestly disclosing her STD to you]

Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,374,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good grief - so the people who have STD's are not "clean"??? Is that a cultural bias showing through?
I don't see the point in this conversation getting more and more personal. What is your problem when I am warning the OP to invest in the safety of his health?

This has nothing to do with love or experience.

STD's are forgivable when they are transmitted by birth. Otherwise, it screams sexual promiscuity, unprotected sex and an onslaught of bed mates one of whom happened to be the carrier. Not the kind of persons I generally associate myself with.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,728,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I highly doubt it. Most people who don't even know they have herpes don't know simply because it is NOT routinely tested for. I have a hard time believing we test our international friends for it. TB? Sure. HIV, Sure - the things that can actually kill.

You can get a physical every year and seem completely healthy and still have herpes in your body without ever knowing it.
My point exactly. Too bad I can't rep you 'til I spread the love around a bit more (so to speak )

Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I agree; we need to know the specific disease before we start speculating.

I do think that it would be pause for concern; this is your health that you are talking about. And while herpes is not a death sentence, it's not exactly the common cold.

When I was dating my boyfriends and I exchanged recent STD test results before we had sex (even oral - you can catch things that way too). Yes, I pissed off several people but better safe than sorry. I'm actually shocked that you would depend on someone to tell you in this day and age.
This is exactly what I have in mind. I'll present my report and I'll ask for hers. If she takes offence, then at least I'll be glad I safeguarded myself. In New York City, 5 in 8 have STD's I'd suspect, given the area's reckless promiscuity.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,728,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I don't see the point in this conversation getting more and more personal. What is your problem when I am warning the OP to invest in the safety of his health?

STD's are forgivable when they are transmitted by birth. Otherwise, it screams sexual promiscuity, unprotected sex and an onslaught of bed mates one of whom happened to be the carrier. Not the kind of persons I generally associate myself with.
What a bunch of crap What about people whose spouses cheat on them and give them an STD? What about rape? What about blood transfusions?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
What a bunch of crap What about people whose spouses cheat on them and give them an STD? What about rape? What about blood transfusions?
It's understandable. But when the information is presented up front, I vote for the other person to pack and head for the hills. Is that too wrong of a choice that the other person protects his/her health? Geez

Health takes precedence to anything and everything. What if the person dies in 12 months coz the HIV strain kicked in more severely. I am not sure what the OP is dealing with, he/she has disappeared. But if it were HIV, the relationship should continue and the person contracts it and spend a fortune, time and effort with doctors and mental agony? You folks kidding? Am I being punk'd here??

Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 PM

38,226 posts, read 37,208,441 times
Quote:

What happened to your thought processes?????? Like another said, what about the spouse that goes out and cheats and brings home an STD. What about the soccer mom drivng her kids home and gets hit by a drunk driver, needs a blood transfusion, happens to get a disease in the process????

Think... my friend, before you press the keys.......

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

What happened to your thought processes?????? Like another said, what about the spouse that goes out and cheats and brings home an STD. What about the soccer mom drivng her kids home and gets hit by a drunk driver, needs a blood transfusion, happens to get a disease in the process????

Think... my friend, before you press the keys.......
Chow, read my post above. Special cases like those are unfortunate. But I'm merely saying people hanging out with prospective mates should be careful and when information is detected, they need to "protect" themselves, first. It's absolute madness to give it a shot in the name of love. It's warped and desperate.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,703,251 times
Quote:

What about the individual who has had limited relationships with others for several years and during one of those relationships for one reason or another the other partner does not disclose his/her STD and transmits it to our subject individual?

[no promiscuity or onslaught of bedmates - why excoriate such a person for an error in trust?]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships