Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
My point exactly. Too bad I can't rep you 'til I spread the love around a bit more (so to speak )
HA! Now that's the kind of spreading of something that I can encourage

Just be sure to practice safe spreading, lolololol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

What about the individual who has had limited relationships with others for several years and during one of those relationships for one reason or another the other partner does not disclose his/her STD and transmits it to our subject individual?

[no promiscuity or onslaught of bedmates - why excoriate such a person for an error in trust?]
I don't understand why everyone is getting off-topic and customizing scenarios to promote a warped concept.

OP detects STD in his/her mate. Bail out. Case closed. His/her health and well-being are more important.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I am so disappointed in some of the posters in this thread - and so proud of others, you know who you are.

Narrow minded thinking is not the sign of an educated mind, regardless of the degrees/pieces of paper or salary.

So sad.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
More than 90 percent of American adults have been infected with herpes simplex virus 1, which can cause cold sores.

Herpes - body, last, viral, contagious, causes, What Is Herpes?

overall, 49 participants (98%) shed HSV-1 DNA at least once during the study. Thirty-seven participants (74%) had positive blood test results.

Study Finds Herpes Virus In 98 Percent Of Healthy Participants

Good luck finding your future wife in the 2% - 10% of the populations that's left

Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am so disappointed in some of the posters in this thread - and so proud of others, you know who you are.

Narrow minded thinking is not the sign of an educated mind, regardless of the degrees/pieces of paper or salary.

So sad.
Like our friend Bill says "That's the fact Jack."

Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
More than 90 percent of American adults have been infected with herpes simplex virus 1, which can cause cold sores.

Herpes - body, last, viral, contagious, causes, What Is Herpes?

overall, 49 participants (98%) shed HSV-1 DNA at least once during the study. Thirty-seven participants (74%) had positive blood test results.

Study Finds Herpes Virus In 98 Percent Of Healthy Participants

Good luck finding your future wife in the 2% - 10% of the populations that's left
I've been very lucky my entire life. I'm not kidding

That apart, I'll go to bed today feeling warm I gave clear, safe and trustworthy direction to someone who asked for help.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
It would all depend on what Sexually Transmitted Disease one had - Herpes is not a big deal. In fact, 1 in 4 have it and that doesn't even count the ones walking around, not tested, and don't know it ... There are plenty of websites out there that provide valuable information .... Now, if they had HIV, I'd be nervous. HIV is tricky, there are ALOT of people in the world that do not get tested and have it ... how scary is that ??????

Here is a website that covers ALL STDs ....

Genital Herpes - STD information from CDC

Old 01-07-2012, 09:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is exactly what I have in mind. I'll present my report and I'll ask for hers. If she takes offence, then at least I'll be glad I safeguarded myself. In New York City, 5 in 8 have STD's I'd suspect, given the area's reckless promiscuity.
If is certainly your choice to eliminate any and all women whom you deem unworthy before dating them.

But here's the thing...where do you draw the line?

You can be as discriminating at you want and STILL end up with a partner who will later down the line have cancer, diabetes, blindness, postpartum depression, Crohn's Disease, COPD, arthritis, Lupus, a stroke or thousands of other diseases that will make your life just as hellish as theirs simply because you live with and love them.

If you want to discriminate when dating, that's fine - it will increase you odds of having a healthier partner.

But don't think for a second you can ever rid yourself of the odds of SOMETHING happening to you or the person you love that won't put your health at risk too, or just make your life much more very difficult.

Because in life, bad stuff sometimes happens.

But when it does you need to know your partner has your back and will stick with you thru whatever health issues you have.

Anyone not willing to do that has no business being married.

If you are willing to walk away from someone you have already fallen in love with just because she finds out she has any disease, especially something as non scary as herpes, you weren't really ready for a serious relationship anyway. I like to think a man of your character would rise to the occasion though

Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If is certainly your choice to eliminate any and all women whom you deem unworthy before dating them.

But here's the thing...where do you draw the line?

You can be as discriminating at you want and STILL end up with a partner who will later down the line have cancer, diabetes, blindness, postpartum depression, Crohn's Disease, COPD, arthritis, Lupus, a stroke or thousands of other diseases that will make your life just as hellish as theirs simply because you live with and love them.

If you want to discriminate when dating, that's fine - it will increase you odds of having a healthier partner.

But don't think for a second you can ever rid yourself of the odds of SOMETHING happening to you or the person you love that won't put your health at risk too, or just make your life much more very difficult.

Because in life, bad stuff sometimes happens.

But when it does you need to know your partner has your back and will stick with you thru whatever health issues you have.

Anyone not willing to do that has no business being married.

If you are willing to walk away from someone you have already fallen in love with just because she finds out she has any disease, especially something as non scary as herpes, you weren't really ready for a serious relationship anyway. I like to think a man of your character would rise to the occasion though
I thought twice and even thrice before typing up "promoting a warped concept" a few posts back. But I am glad I made the right call.

Some of those are regular diseases. I'll stand by my future wife forever, even if it bankrupts both of us.

But STD's. They don't drop from the sky (barring a weird transfusion fracas). They clearly mean one of us was not loyal and the marriage is a failure.

I'm simply amazed you are comparing regular diseases with diseases which are invited owing to breach of loyalty. Well, not really amazed. Not grown up enough. I'll find my growing up for dummies off Amazon. I doubt I'll ever grasp the concept.

And in case you missed the memo, if wife has diabetes, husband does not get it after sex

Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Antlered,

I don't think that people have an issue with the fact that you would be concerned (at least, I hope not). It's the stereotyping that gets under people's skin.

An educated person can contract an STD. And just because you contract an STD does not mean that you are sleeping around. Your partner may have had it and did not tell you. Or, he may not have known that he had it and gave it to you. There are many ways that good people could contract an STD.

That being said, I still don't understand why people depend on the honor system when it comes to this. I have never had a problem getting an STD Panel when I needed one. If all STDs except HIV are not a big deal, and if so many people have them, why are people having unprotected sex with someone without making sure that they are tested?

I'm not giving the woman credit because she was honest with him; it was her responsibility to let him know that she had a disease - no matter what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships