Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
I know those terms quite well and also know that the South Asian ethnic men and women that are born and brought up here hate the immigrant South Asian population with a disdain, it's funny considering that I am neither a FOB nor an ABCD. I did all my university education here, so the ABCD's here can't slot me into being a FOB either, LOL.
I don't know why they hate them? I respect all immigrants that come here regardless of race, They are very hard working individuals. It takes time to adjust to the American culture. I have friends that just came from India/Pakistan also. They are very friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM

474 posts, read 495,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I don't know why they hate them? I respect all immigrants that come here regardless of race, They are very hard working individuals. It takes time to adjust to the American culture. I have friends that just came from India/Pakistan also. They are very friendly.
They hate them because they kinda feel threatened by the influx of smart, capable young people that could compete with them for jobs, university admissions etc etc. Apart from that, a lot of the so called ABCD's have an entitlement complex which makes them feel that they are entitled to the best of everything since they were born here and since their parents who immigrated here were only the "true" immigrants, etc etc(doesn't make sense at all but that's what I have been told).

Finally, I find it extremely hilarious when they refer to themselves as American-Indians because there's no such thing as an American-Indian considering that a dual citizenship between the two nations doesn't even exist on paper. Why be something you aren't, I usually urge them to call themselves just American since that's what they are and to not use an inappropriate term like American-Indian etc etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 PM

474 posts, read 495,748 times
Quote:
Btw, based on your posts, I am assuming that you are in your mid to late 30s, and are a business owner, am I wrong?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
They hate them because they kinda feel threatened by the influx of smart, capable young people that could compete with them for jobs, university admissions etc etc. Apart from that, a lot of the so called ABCD's have an entitlement complex which makes them feel that they are entitled to the best of everything since they were born here and since their parents who immigrated here were only the "true" immigrants, etc etc(doesn't make sense at all but that's what I have been told).

Finally, I find it extremely hilarious when they refer to themselves as American-Indians because there's no such thing as an American-Indian considering that a dual citizenship between the two nations doesn't even exist on paper. Why be something you aren't, I usually urge them to call themselves just American since that's what they are and to not use an inappropriate term like American-Indian etc etc.
That can go for Americans in general too right? President and Congress supports bringing in people other countries that are skilled workers though.

Lot of ABCD's are spoiled but they don't understand that their parents and grand parents worked hard to get where they are now though. Not just ABCD's but other middle-upper class kids also.

How come there is a African-American term but not European-American?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Btw, based on your posts, I am assuming that you are in your mid to late 30s, and are a business owner, am I wrong?
Lol.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
OkC by far.
Iffy nod at best.

OKC doesn't have IMing, forums, flagmod (neat when it was around until...very recently?) anymore and it looks like it is going down for the count sooner than later.

POF has a bunch of garbage.

I live in Houston...not much to look at on either site. Mostly a combination of obese, laden with kids, non-educated, ready to get a sleeve tattoo to go with the tat that has the ex's name on it (Ooopsie!)....very endearing pool, indeed.

Ah, the free time I get with a vacation during the holidays...oh, as for women going for personality, no offense, but LOLZ. Most on those sites would not know personality if it greeted them at the door like the Prince Charming that they'd want to likewise appear at said door.

Just saying. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. The cool features are gone. I guess. Can't find anything online that can tell me when this went down.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Absolutely right, and agree 100% with what you have said. I did an experiment once on it, I created my original profile and I am a decent, average looking guy not a model, and then I created a fake account with a couple of pic's of a model in it. Guess what, my original profile was very sensible, deep and thoughtfully put mentioning all my hobbies, thoughts, likes etc etc and yet my response rate was probably 10%.

However, with the other model's profile that included nothing, I mean barely anything in it except a couple of pic's, I sent this message, " Your profile looks quite interesting and you look very pretty, tell me something unique about yourself" and sent that to 20 women, guess what, 17 of them responded back to me and a few of them gave their numbers in the very first email itself, also these were normal women not desperate ugly women, they were all mostly 8/10's. One of them even said "Man, are you a model or something you look super hot, can't wait to meet you" and then she texted me for a couple of times asking me when I could meet her etc etc.

So yeah, it's all about looks my boi, if you don't have them, go get a plastic surgery or something done , or join the club of perpetually single guys here
Yep, I knew it! Thanks for condicting the experiement for me! And women say that humor and personality is what matters. Right! I hate my pics and I knew they were probably a detriment, even though they're not terrible. I just know I look better in person. I may try what you did. Good idea! I'm thinking of putting a pic of a model or celebrity who looks similar to me. There are a few.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
Quote:
Does anyone use this site? It seems like it is the only true free matchmaking site? You can do most stuff without paying?

How has been your experience?
I liked it better than match.com, but it still sucks for a guy.

Because it's free, you have a lot of people up there who just aren't sure what they want, or they raise their standards to only going out with guys who they think are 10's because they aren't paying anything, no reason to test the field out. Also, with free sites: women get 50 emails a week. Good luck trying to get noticed. It's a crap shoot.

I did meet my ex gf on that site. She ended up being very immature in what she was looking for and it ended.

Now I use eharmony. It's easy as cake. It gives you more direction as to how to describe yourself and what you're looking for. It matches people for you, you don't have to do the searching. And the best part about eharmony: no reading entire profiles and trying to find something clever to write to her and hope she responds. Instead, you just have to send 5 questions for her to answer if she's interested. Otherwise she just clicks a button to close the match which tells you she's not, or she'll just respond and send you 5 questions and you get to know them from there. I like it because you can help narrow down the type of girl you're looking for by the questions you ask and how she responds.

But yeah, much better quality women, I've only been on there a week and a half and I have 3 phone numbers and 2 dates lined up with attractive, not at all fat, smart, and moral women. No party girls, no young "I don't know what I want" girls, no head-cases. Just nice girls looking for the same things I am.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Houston is the 4th largest population. You should get hundreds of matches within 5 miles.

You can refine your searches by education level and body type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Iffy nod at best.

OKC doesn't have IMing, forums, flagmod (neat when it was around until...very recently?) anymore and it looks like it is going down for the count sooner than later.

POF has a bunch of garbage.

I live in Houston...not much to look at on either site. Mostly a combination of obese, laden with kids, non-educated, ready to get a sleeve tattoo to go with the tat that has the ex's name on it (Ooopsie!)....very endearing pool, indeed.

Ah, the free time I get with a vacation during the holidays...oh, as for women going for personality, no offense, but LOLZ. Most on those sites would not know personality if it greeted them at the door like the Prince Charming that they'd want to likewise appear at said door.

Just saying. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. The cool features are gone. I guess. Can't find anything online that can tell me when this went down.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yep, I knew it! Thanks for condicting the experiement for me! And women say that humor and personality is what matters. Right! I hate my pics and I knew they were probably a detriment, even though they're not terrible. I just know I look better in person. I may try what you did. Good idea! I'm thinking of putting a pic of a model or celebrity who looks similar to me. There are a few.
Why would you want to put fake pictures? That is wasting your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships