Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
So, he just wants to live the good respectable family life that men and families enjoyed before the 80's and earlier. Is the world gone mad?

No before the 80s most women reared the children, but most men helped out when they came home. What this guy wants is essentially a domestic slave who is at his bidding. I fail to see what most women would find endearing about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Yeah, liberals are good at being selective and choosing whose choices are worthy of respect, as if they are God and all-knowing. I think people should be able to choose to live however they like and it should be respected.

That said, even besides Muslims and other foreign cultures,
many Americans live according to these gender roles, taking on different responsibilities as a team. Many middle-class folks live this way, even if they aren't vocal about it and don't acknowledge it or point it out. Though it's probably most pronounced within the working class, which is where you'll find the women who are most dependent on men combined with less political correctness. Dare I say different roles according to gender are actually natural?

Now obviously it becomes a problem or at least troubling to most of us when the man has so much influence he's actually controlling the woman, as if she were a 13 year old child. Or if he treats her as if she literally doubles as a maid. Even then, who am I to say what's right or wrong in that regard? I guess when it comes down to the guy not letting the woman leave the lifestyle if she wanted to or intimidated her to stay is when it flat out becomes wrong.

Most women in those countries are not really given much of a choice since the laws, and social beliefs are stacked against them. Different responsibilities mean just that, they pitch in together even if one takes a more submissive role. It doesn't mean the wife works 18 hours a day, and the hubby only works 8, but then wants his play time as well.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,465,732 times
It's an attitude still common in some countries, with some rednecks, and some fundamentalist religious groups even in this country.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That a man is the king of his castle, if he comes home from work he expect his meals hot,kids taken care of,house clean,and her not to complain when he goes out to unwind everynight. WDYT? My sister is extremely liberal BTW, so you can guess how well this went over.
At least he didn't add, "And your legs spread on command."

But I might have responded, "And what do you bring to the table, that you feel entitled to this?"

I'll bet the answer would have been hilarious.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM

48,514 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I actually have no problem with this.

He was honest and upfront, and you can't really ask for more than that. Everyone is entitled to their wants and needs.

Do I think he will fulfill his needs easily? No. But it's better than someone who pretends they think differently.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
I wannabe a Sir

Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,560 times
Quote:
That a man is the king of his castle, if he comes home from work he expect his meals hot,kids taken care of,house clean,and her not to complain when he goes out to unwind everynight. WDYT? My sister is extremely liberal BTW, so you can guess how well this went over.
Hey I was married to that guy! Seriously. My first husband felt the same way and I was too stupid to realize there was something wrong with it until after marriage. I was young, that is all I have in the way of excuses. My teenage daughter just spent a week with my ex and the whole disfunctional, male-dominating family and I used it all as a teaching tool. I hope that when she marries she will be a little wiser than I was and realize how ridiculous this type of attitude is. She couldn't believe how her uncles, Dad and grandfather just sit at the table after dinner and expect the women in the family to jump up and clean up the dinner they have all spent hours preparing. She was also astounded at the grown women fixing their husband's plates for breakfast, lunch and dinner. These men can't even put a little mashed potatoes on their own plate! All I can say is....glad I got out when I did.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I actually have no problem with this.

He was honest and upfront, and you can't really ask for more than that. Everyone is entitled to their wants and needs.

Do I think he will fulfill his needs easily? No. But it's better than someone who pretends they think differently.
Well, sure. We're okay with the fact that he was open and honest about it. But I'm still not okay with guys being like this in the first place.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Quote:
What's the problem? He's being honest and women always say they want a man to be honest.. Now get me a beer and the remote.. Keep until I need another one.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:17 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,808,514 times
Quote:
That a man is the king of his castle, if he comes home from work he expect his meals hot,kids taken care of,house clean,and her not to complain when he goes out to unwind everynight.
Yeah and?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships