Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
back in High school, this girl liked me and I liked her but both of us had no idea about how we felt for each other. I never made a move because she had a boyfriend and she never made a move because of said boyfriends. So, it's been three years since we graduated and I added her on Facebook back in September and spilled my heart out to her about my feelings and found out she used to like me too. Our chemistry is amazing and I literally think about her everyday since September. I've liked her pictures, commented on her pictures, etc. She has been with that same boyfriend for five years now. It really breaks my heart that we can't be together. I know I need to move on but its so hard. Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? How did you get over it?
Sounds like lust or emotional attachment at best to me.

Get it out of your mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I think the most important thing you can do is to separate yourself from her in every way possible. Get rid of reminders, stop hanging out with her, erase emails and numbers, etc.. You may think it's extreme, but if you really want to move on, this is what you do.

I equate it to grieving the loss of a loved one who has died. In the beginning, it's really difficult; You think about that person all the time, the things you coulda-shoulda-woulda done in the future together. But, over time, the thought of them enters your mind less and less. Don't misunderstand me, they will always be in the back of your mind, but as a memory of what was - not what could be.

Detach yourself and find a hobby to entertain the time you once focused on her. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think the most important thing you can do is to separate yourself from her in every way possible. Get rid of reminders, stop hanging out with her, erase emails and numbers, etc.. You may think it's extreme, but if you really want to move on, this is what you do.

I equate it to grieving the loss of a loved one who has died. In the beginning, it's really difficult; You think about that person all the time, the things you coulda-shoulda-woulda done in the future together. But, over time, the thought of them enters your mind less and less. Don't misunderstand me, they will always be in the back of your mind, but as a memory of what was - not what could be.

Detach yourself and find a hobby to entertain the time you once focused on her. Good luck.

This is exactly how I deal with a break up. I separate myself from her entirely, get rid of all the things that she gave me, delete her from my phone, fumigate my home, anything it takes to make me forget about her and move on.

People shouldn't dwell on the past. If you do, the future passes you by.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
Quote:
THANK YOU! The previous post before yours was kind of rude. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is so hard to "just move on". My feelings for her are so strong that it would take quite some time to feel that much emotion with some new woman. I think one reason my feelings for her is so strong is because I've known her since 8th grade so the chemistry has had a lot of time to build up.
Listen,

If you felt that was rude, your in for quite the rude awakening when it comes time to examine the situation from a logical perspective.

I'm not trying to be hard on you but someone has to. As a man, I want to see my fellow men (whether they be young or old) get laid. I write these words in hope that you'll spend a bit time yourself to see why your post is pathetic. Don't worry, your not alone. Men of all ages, at one point were in a similar situation as yourself. Your seeing things the way you want them to be, not as they are.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Love in the Time of Cholera. The Movie. Good training.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Love in the Time of Cholera. The Movie. Good training.
ha, Florentino would fit in quite well with this forum.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Listen,

If you felt that was rude, your in for quite the rude awakening when it comes time to examine the situation from a logical perspective.

I'm not trying to be hard on you but someone has to. As a man, I want to see my fellow men (whether they be young or old) get laid. I write these words in hope that you'll spend a bit time yourself to see why your post is pathetic. Don't worry, your not alone. Men of all ages, at one point were in a similar situation as yourself. Your seeing things the way you want them to be, not as they are.
Well you are mostly correct but not all men care about "getting laid". I know I don't.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
back in High school, this girl liked me and I liked her but both of us had no idea about how we felt for each other. I never made a move because she had a boyfriend and she never made a move because of said boyfriends. So, it's been three years since we graduated and I added her on Facebook back in September and spilled my heart out to her about my feelings and found out she used to like me too. Our chemistry is amazing and I literally think about her everyday since September. I've liked her pictures, commented on her pictures, etc. She has been with that same boyfriend for five years now. It really breaks my heart that we can't be together. I know I need to move on but its so hard. Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? How did you get over it?
Dude, give it time. Nothing says they'll stay together forever. If you just have fun now, take your mind off of her, that's the best way to stop dwelling on it. And I'll bet they don't stay together another 5 years. Maybe one day you two will wind up together- but in the meantime, go enjoy your life

Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Let's hope this doesn't ever happen! You truly meet the woman of your dreams some day, your old flame breaks up with her boyfriend, and she suddenly wants to unite with you!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
I know how the OP feels because I currently really like someone. Well, I don't know if you can really get over her if you are in love with her. As one poster said, its not that easy especially in your case. I would say that a positive attitude is your best line of defense. You attract what you think about most so think positive. As a guy, I will say that you always have a chance wit the person you love. So many relationships will end. There's always a chance. And lastly, you should be proud of the fact that you love her. Love is the greatest feeling in the world and she should feel really lucky she has a person like you that cares about her. I say don't stop loving her. In the meantime, try to meet other people. You have my support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships