Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times

Advertisements

So after a nasty break up with the woman I was planning on spending my life with I swore off women for a long while. I have been happily single, just working on bettering myself, and I finally feel like it's time start dating again.

I think I am a pretty good catch. I have my life in order at least. But my concern is that I take care of my grandma, and she lives with me. I do all of her cooking/cleaning/shopping/laundry etc., take her to church, and to her doctor appointments and what not. Basically all of things that you would do for a child.

I'm just wondering what women will think about this living situation? Do you think it'll kill potential relationships for me? How long would you wait to explain the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
So after a nasty break up with the woman I was planning on spending my life with I swore off women for a long while. I have been happily single, just working on bettering myself, and I finally feel like it's time start dating again.

I think I am a pretty good catch. I have my life in order at least. But my concern is that I take care of my grandma, and she lives with me. I do all of her cooking/cleaning/shopping/laundry etc., take her to church, and to her doctor appointments and what not. Basically all of things that you would do for a child.

I'm just wondering what women will think about this living situation? Do you think it'll kill potential relationships for me? How long would you wait to explain the situation?
(You're asking the women but I'll answer anyway)

That's honorable and to be respected.

[and if you find a woman who doesn't agree, kick her to the curb]

Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,907 times
Do you live in her house, or does she live in yours?

That might be your key to explaining it properly.

If she lives in your house, just say she moved in with you when she could no longer live on her own.

If you moved in with her, just say that when you moved in, you took over all the bills and take care of her because she could no longer live on her own.

It's not living with granny that most women would have a problem with, it would be living with and mooching off of granny. No woman wants to see that the guy's granny cook and cleans and pays bills, and he just kinda hangs out and lets her.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
It is an honorable thing to do but it does get in the way of your freedom. What will you do when Ms. Right comes along and you decide it's time to change your domestic arrangement?

I wouldn't keep it a secret. Most women will admire the fact you're a good grandson.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Depends on how you live, if you do good for yourself then I don't think you have a problem. If you wouldn't be able to afford to live alone if you didn't have her , well that might be a problem.

My parents were laughing to me about one of their friends, he moved back with his parents when he was 30 and never moved out, and just always told people he was "taking care of his parents".

Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Yeah I have a good education, a good career, own a car, and pay my own bills and all that I just help my grandma because I lover her, and I am the only one in my family that's able to do so full time because I am single with no kids. And I am still fairly young (pushing 30). It's not forever because you know eventually she will need more care than I can provide, but I am doing the best I can for her for now.

Anyway, I just wanted to get sense of what a woman would think about a guy that lives with grandma, so thanks.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 PM

370 posts, read 1,365,930 times
I think it is sweet you care for your granny.

The only trouble I could see is if you get involved with someone and your grandma gets jealous (think Principal Skinner and his wacky mom) and tries to interfere with you and your ladyfriend.

If your grandma is not like this, then it shows you are both helping each other out and a nice girl would probably be very attracted to you.

Some girls would run the other way but they may be less interested in home and family.

I tested out my husband with my nephew and niece before we got married. He showed he was good dad material.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Oh no my grandma wants to see me have some kids before she goes so she's all for me settling down

Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM

526 posts, read 955,256 times
As someone who's really family-oriented, I think what you are doing is wonderful and to be respected. It shows how caring you are, and the right one for you won't mind it at all. Kudos to you for being such a great grandson and kind human being!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
As someone who's really family-oriented, I think what you are doing is wonderful and to be respected. It shows how caring you are, and the right one for you won't mind it at all. Kudos to you for being such a great grandson and kind human being!
Thanks, but I don't really do it to be noble or anything thing like that. I just do it because that's what you do for family, and it never occurred to me to do anything else. But thanks, that's very nice of you to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships