U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:06 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,308,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
There are plenty of women from the USA who feel the same.

Even if two good people do find each other, the second problem is that Amercian culture does not support, or is conducive to long lasting relationships.

I have seen nasty scandalous women undermine the relationships of their friends all the way to the mass media that encourages women to be single and chase a career.

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've read about that to. It's conservative to THEM, remember, using their culture as a frame of reference. I do think it's been overplayed as well. Not sure how Thailand compares to other SE Asian nations. I'm mainly familiar with Vietnam, which historically was very conservative, ruled by Confucian values imputed by the Chinese as well as their own strong sense of clan and village honour. Even during the Vietnam War prostitution was viewed more harshly in Vietnam than it was in Thailand. Maybe the lack of that strong Confucian ethic is what makes Thailand a more liberal environment in terms of attitudes towards sex. Of course the Communist government in Vietnam adds to it, but the cultures of the two countries have always somewhat different. Thailand still has a culture of honour, respect, filial piety, and by no means were prostitutes ever admired or encouraged. Thai culture still prefers chaste women who will make good wives.
Well said and interesting.

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 811,225 times
My suggestion to the OP if he would like a Thai bride is to get one from here in the U.S.

This way you can make sure that they are in good legal standing and are not out to use you for a green card at the very least.

If you are looking for subservient Thai woman you can certainly get those here.

If you really want a 'mail order' bride be prepared with lots of cash because you are going to need it. Mail order brides are NOT cheap and will cost thousands of dollars regardless of where they are from.

Payment to the family for taking one of their daughters, payment of your services and pulling strings to help her family will be expected, payment for her to come over to the U.S. ( Unless you plan on moving to wherever the bride is located in which case tell her up front and save yourself the trouble because if you don't you will just be wasting your own time! ), payment for her everyday needs as well as payment for her family to move up in status are just a tiny portion of what you will expected to shell out.

Do what you feel is right. I certainly won't judge. I will however advise to try and protect yourself as much as possible from those who are out to use you.

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I highly doubt that you know how to treat a real woman. Because it you did you would have to beat American women off of you.
The only men who have the problem of beating off Amercian women are celebrities and rich athletes; other then that, the average male in America is IGNORED by Amercian women unless she NEEDS something.

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM

14,452 posts, read 6,392,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
"I am a middle-aged woman who has been looking for a good loving man for a long time but was never able to find one because, truthfully, I'm not the best looking woman around and so many American men nowadays seem to want attractive, petite women. I've gone through so many heartaches and disappointments and it's been so discouraging."

"I feel that time is running short for me so instead of trying to find the right man in America, I decided to search in a country overseas where I hear nice men are eager to meet women such as myself, who have so much to give."

"It was a great experience! I met SO many nice eager men who really seemed to like and appreciate me. They talked to me, flirted with me and made me feel so alive and special. I think I made a connection with one man in particular and I want to remain in contact and see him again. I really feel so happy and hope my days of searching are ending."

I made this scenario up. I just reversed the genders and made the story a bit more applicable so as to come from a woman. There's NO doubt in my mind if the above story was true, most everyone here would be cheering and rooting for this woman. There would be exclamations of "You Go Girl!" "So Happy For You!" "Right On!" Well, you get the point.

Why so much anger and scepticism for the man relating his story? The assumption is that he's trying to buy a sex/domestic slave and he's both a pervert and a fool. Yet, in my phony scenario, nobody would think such a thing. They would applaud a woman trying her darndest to find a good man, regardless of where she searches.

Gender reversal. Works every time.
Actually - the equivalent would have been something like this -

"I've had it with American men. They are shallow, self-centered, superficial and only want to date supermodels. I'm going to a different country where I can find a hot, rich, intelligent, man with good values who appreciates me and puts me on the pedestal that I deserve. American men - eat your heart out! You had your chance but you didn't know a good thing when you saw it. I'm going somewhere else where the men are going to drool all over me and you'll all be sorry!!!"

It's possible to look for something different without being insulting to a whole group of people. There is no reason to insult anyone. If someone isn't happy - they should look for a way to be happy. Happiness doesn't usually come with insults.

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM

14,452 posts, read 6,392,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
The only men who have the problem of beating off Amercian women are celebrities and rich athletes; other then that, the average male in America is IGNORED by Amercian women unless she NEEDS something.
So - the average men in America that are married are only married because their wives needed something? Like what? I didn't marry a celebrity or a rich athlete - so why did I fall in love with 3 people and marry one of them?

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
My suggestion to the OP if he would like a Thai bride is to get one from here in the U.S.
Generally that's not a good idea because once a foreign woman comes to America she takes on the men hating value systems of American women.

Also, foreign women who live in the states tend to develop mental issues because they are alienated in a culture that is not their own and they are disconnected from their homeland, old friends, and family.

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM

12,291 posts, read 9,515,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
You're either very ugly, very poor, or just a very unhappy person..

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So - the average men in America that are married are only married because their wives needed something?

Yes. Those women needed/wanted a house, a car, kids and somebody to pay the bills (i.e, cell phone).

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're either very ugly, very poor, or just a very unhappy person..
You all have the same material, you all assault my character to try and shame me publicly for speaking the TRUTH.

I will have you know that much of what I have learned was from a WOMAN.

http://www.pinterandmartin.com/pub/files/Book%20covers/.thumbnails/1274212526_Manipulated%20Man_w700_h700.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.