Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

this movie I'm watching is awkward.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Used to have a little Triumph, that car was awesome. Wish I had kept it. Sold it for almost nothing. No room for car seats in that car.
I was in love with Triumphs! I had 3 TR-6s - one with the hardtop. I even was crazy enough to drive from NY to Key West - she got me down and back, no problem.

Yeah, no room for car seats, but plenty of room for fun.

Wood dashboards ... now THAT is class!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Front seat or back seat?
I must say, I am offended that you would imply that I would engage in carnal practices in such a fine vehicle.

... I saved THAT for the Caddy.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Got me with that one for sure. Hardly saw one out on the road when I was a kid and I cant think of when I last saw one, been a long time.
Ever since I got rid of mine in the early '80's I think I've seen one other one. Not exactly a high-production run, I guess. I had the 1.6L 100HP - I remember thinking it weird because it was a transverse-mount - the first one I ever had.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I was in love with Triumphs! I had 3 TR-6s - one with the hardtop. I even was crazy enough to drive from NY to Key West - she got me down and back, no problem.

Yeah, no room for car seats, but plenty of room for fun.

Wood dashboards ... now THAT is class!

I used to do that road trip many times in that little Nissan. She did an easy 110 mph on the highway. My aunt and uncle lived near Tampa, Fl. and I'd haul ass down there a lot from up north. One trip I had a bizarre experience. I left her house at 10:00 in the morning and was home and in bed by 2:30 in the morning. When I crossed the boarder from Kentucky into Ohio it was as if I had just jumped over an entire state. Plus, the entire state of Ohio was covered in heavy fog, I couldn't see anything so it took me twice as long to get through it and still did that trip in that time frame. It was a Twilight Zone experience.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I used to do that road trip many times in that little Nissan. She did an easy 110 mph on the highway. My aunt and uncle lived near Tampa, Fl. and I'd haul ass down there a lot from up north. One trip I had a bizarre experience. I left her house at 10:00 in the morning and was home and in bed by 2:30 in the morning. When I crossed the boarder from Kentucky into Ohio it was as if I had just jumped over an entire state. Plus, the entire state of Ohio was covered in heavy fog, I couldn't see anything so it took me twice as long to get through it and still did that trip in that time frame. It was a Twilight Zone experience.
Whoa ... did you pick up Rod Serling as he was hitchhiking? Sounds like the ideal setting for it.

I used to fall asleep coming home, somewhere around North Carolina - I'd always drive straight through (it was about 22 hours) and I'd doze off, feel the gravel from the shoulder under the tires and then jolt awake. I'd pop another No-Doze, pour some more coffee and crank up Pink Floyd on the cassette player.

Those were the happiest days of my life, even though I was usually going South to get over another failed girlfriend experience ...

Last edited by SifuPhil; 04-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: dumb spelling error of Rod STERLING

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Whoa ... did you pick up Rod Sterling as he was hitchhiking? Sounds like the ideal setting for it.

I used to fall asleep coming home, somewhere around North Carolina - I'd always drive straight through (it was about 22 hours) and I'd doze off, feel the gravel from the shoulder under the tires and then jolt awake. I'd pop another No-Doze, pour some more coffee and crank up Pink Floyd on the cassette player.

Those were the happiest days of my life, even though I was usually going South to get over another failed girlfriend experience ...
I never fell asleep or got tired and there was specific music I had with me for different legs of the trip to keep me pumped up. I think it's an easier drive to do when you are alone verses being with someone else in the car. I also made that trip many times after a break up. Clear my head and it was liberating.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I never fell asleep or got tired and there was specific music I had with me for different legs of the trip to keep me pumped up. I think it's an easier drive to do when you are alone verses being with someone else in the car.
The only time that I made that trip and it seemed endless was when I went with my wife.

I had made so many trips up to that point that I was like Dr. Sheldon Cooper - I had specific places I would stop to eat, stop to rest and stop to pee - all on a scientifically-prepared schedule.

She blew it all with the unplanned stops at Kountry Junktions and fireworks stands. And South of the Border - don't even MENTION that name!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The only time that I made that trip and it seemed endless was when I went with my wife.

I had made so many trips up to that point that I was like Dr. Sheldon Cooper - I had specific places I would stop to eat, stop to rest and stop to pee - all on a scientifically-prepared schedule.

She blew it all with the unplanned stops at Kountry Junktions and fireworks stands. And South of the Border - don't even MENTION that name!
Exactly.

One trip down there I made from Nashville,TN from our regional offices and went through the deep, deep south and I actually was on a portion of a highway that just abruptly ended at the base of this hill. It was bizarre. It was near Tupelo I think. I ended up on some old road and all these old slave shacks lined the road and people still lived in them and I felt like I had wandered back to the civil war era. But going by myself I could do as I pleased and experience different things like stopping at this little gospel church in Miss. or Alabama. I was the only white girl in a two hundred mile radius and it startled a lot of people, but I had a blast. I got to do all kinds of stuff like that and probably wouldn't have if someone was with me.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

One trip down there I made from Nashville,TN from our regional offices and went through the deep, deep south and I actually was on a portion of a highway that just abruptly ended at the base of this hill. It was bizarre. It was near Tupelo I think. I ended up on some old road and all these old slave shacks lined the road and people still lived in them and I felt like I had wandered back to the civil war era. But going by myself I could do as I pleased and experience different things like stopping at this little gospel church in Miss. or Alabama. I was the only white girl in a two hundred mile radius and it startled a lot of people, but I had a blast. I got to do all kinds of stuff like that and probably wouldn't have if someone was with me.
Understood.

One time I did my best imitation of Joe Pesci: I pulled into this tiny little house/diner way off the main drag in Georgia with my long hair, dark glasses, black clothes and ragtop Vette with NY plates, music blasting. I could see the locals peeking out from their windows, and I walked thump-thump-thump with my cowboy boots (with the silver tips and heels) into this fly-specked, dusty little living room, sat at the counter and I swear the menu was just like the movie - "Breakfast-$1.49".

And yep, they gave me grits and I didn't know what they were. I could FEEL everyone watching me as I ate there, and I was expecting either a shotgun shoved into my back or the guys from Deliverance shoved somewhat lower, but as it turned out it was a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships