Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 12:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
That, and that you come across as super controlling, mean spirited, and completely lacking empathy.
Why because I don't date dads? nope that's called being smart. My boyfriend thinks I am the sweetest woman because I am there for him so nope not controlling mean or lacking empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
It is nobody's business and nobody's right to judge anyone who is over 40 and never been married. People need to mind their business and stay out of other people's lives. Are people really this shallow and insecure?
Best post of the thread.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 PM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
A lot of people have this perception that anyone who is over 40 and never been married is somehow "not normal". My experience has not totally borne that out yet, but my friends who fit this description DO seem to have a nerological problem or two. male and females I know.

If Im ever in the dating pool agian (God willing) I know I will only date a divorce or a widower. That is just my preference. Even before I met my SO I made it a rule to only date men over 40 who were DIVORCED or widowed,,,,,Your results may vary. But if women like me expect that, it is only fair for the men to right?

I read that Condileeza Rice has never been married and you know she is over 40...but she had a very important position in life., i.e. politics.

What does everyone think of the never marrieds over 40 men or women alike?
I'm curious, why do you find it so necessary to date men? Do you need their approval? Do you need an audience?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
It is nobody's business and nobody's right to judge anyone who is over 40 and never been married. People need to mind their business and stay out of other people's lives. Are people really this shallow and insecure?

I don't care what other people do--unless they want to date me. Then I reserve the right to make a judgment on whether they are right for me. And vice versa, of course.

I have friends who are over 40 and have never been married. I will say that most of them have had some kind of emotional trouble, usually depression. Not all. But most. That's not to say they are bad people. Just that their depression or other things that they were coping with made it difficult for them to develop and sustain healthy relationships with healthy people. They would either end up in dysfunctional relationships that actually made things worse for them, or their behavior would cause problems in their relationships and their partners would get frustrated, run out of patience, and leave.

Some eventually came around to seeing their patterns. Others continue to take Prozac like it's candy, expecting the pill to do all the work, and then wonder why they can't get past 6 months or a year with someone.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Hah, my husband was 41 when we got married. Hands down the most emotionally stable person I've ever known.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Normal these days. Most people are losing interest in the institution of marriage.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
why.do.people.have.this.notion.burned.into.their.b rain.that.you.must.get.married

its rediculous

Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
sombody mentioned condi rice upthread

I think she is in her 50s, it just reminded me i seen a video of her on "The View" and i just smh how joy bejar sent her a subliminal diss... i dont know why some women seem to get off by stigmatizing older unmsrried women

It isnt your concern or business.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I don't care what other people do--unless they want to date me. Then I reserve the right to make a judgment on whether they are right for me. And vice versa, of course.

I have friends who are over 40 and have never been married. I will say that most of them have had some kind of emotional trouble, usually depression. Not all. But most. That's not to say they are bad people. Just that their depression or other things that they were coping with made it difficult for them to develop and sustain healthy relationships with healthy people. They would either end up in dysfunctional relationships that actually made things worse for them, or their behavior would cause problems in their relationships and their partners would get frustrated, run out of patience, and leave.

Some eventually came around to seeing their patterns. Others continue to take Prozac like it's candy, expecting the pill to do all the work, and then wonder why they can't get past 6 months or a year with someone.

A lot of wise words here, and a fair amount I actually identify with.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Normal these days. Most people are losing interest in the institution of marriage.
Thank you. Except for the legal benefits, I see no good reason to get married. Committing to someone is fine. But why does that commitment need to be sanctioned by the government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships