U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 PM
 
11,672 posts, read 13,873,542 times
Reputation: 19019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
because it was a hoooly night
Very cute.

But seriously, I've had a date or two like that and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Reputation: 16464
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Very cute.

But seriously, I've had a date or two like that and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Yeah, agreed.. I sure wouldn't want to go through that again unless she was a 9 or 10, then I'd just make sure to take a few shots before and hope to god it goes better.


In reality, how hard is it to really talk to someone? How do you sit in silence.. I just don't get that, I don't think that has ever happened to me, even if I wasn't interested. If you both couldn't talk about anything... there's probably something REALLY not compatible with you guys..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
 
1,846 posts, read 2,640,291 times
Reputation: 2489
Hmmm...That is a awkward situation..
I can honestly state that this has happened to me only one time...

It was weird from the beginning..I knew what he looked like from pics..I had spoken to him several times over the phone several times..I did not have any "feelings" either good or bad about him before we met..
When I got there I did not "see" anyone that resembled the man I saw in the pics...until I took another look around the Bar/grill and saw a bald guy making his way towards me, he looked way different...lol, the bald was the only honest thing about him..
We were seated and we did not speak other than for him to ask me what was good on the menu...it was so uncomfortable..I found I was not my usual chatty self..I just didnt care but was still polite..we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways...I never looked back..

It had nothing to do with his looks, I just did not feel anything..which was odd since I can usually speak to anyone and at least find something to discuss but he had no affect, he was very bland...yuck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,504 times
Reputation: 10
I agree it was awkward and uncomfortable for both of us. A part of me wants to just walk away and never look back, but another part wonders where this could lead if I was being myself. It's not that difficult to hold a conversation and usually I can no problem, but this time was different. I just feel like there might be something there. I don't know. I could be wrong.

I should also clarify that unlike your date dr74 it wasn't completely silent. We did laugh and smile but there were more silences than normal for a first date. Going into a first date, esp a blind one, I expect there to be silences but this was just one too many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,932,393 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkf_Tiff View Post
I was set up with this guy by a mutual friend and right off the bat there were awkward silences. I don't know if it was because of me or him, but I just couldn't think of anything to get the conversation going and apparently neither could he. I'm not the shy, quiet type, but for whatever reason i couldn't think of anything to say.

The date did not go well because we couldn't think of any conversation topics. But I still want to give it a second chance even though I'm positive he doesn't feel that way. At the end, he walked me to my car and we said our goodbyes and that was it.

But like i said, I want to give it another try and get to know him better because he really does seem like a nice, genuine guy.

Is there any way I can salvage this situation?
That happened to me recently. We had a couple of good conversations on the phone but when we met in person I think we were both thinking, "Meh..." We walked away after our lunch date and we never spoke to each other again.

[if the spark isn't there, it isn't there]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
 
Location: CA
105 posts, read 101,677 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkf_Tiff View Post
I was set up with this guy by a mutual friend and right off the bat there were awkward silences. I don't know if it was because of me or him, but I just couldn't think of anything to get the conversation going and apparently neither could he. I'm not the shy, quiet type, but for whatever reason i couldn't think of anything to say.

The date did not go well because we couldn't think of any conversation topics. But I still want to give it a second chance even though I'm positive he doesn't feel that way. At the end, he walked me to my car and we said our goodbyes and that was it.

But like i said, I want to give it another try and get to know him better because he really does seem like a nice, genuine guy.

Is there any way I can salvage this situation?
sure, call him and tell him what happened, ask for another try. If he blows you off then at least you know whats up. Bring your better self next time though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,901 posts, read 7,947,230 times
Reputation: 4358
Maybe get drunk before seeing him next time? so you can loose up a bit, booze can be good for this kind of situation. Eat a mint after drinking so he doesnt think you are a drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 AM
 
8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Reputation: 15220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Maybe get drunk before seeing him next time? so you can loose up a bit, booze can be good for this kind of situation. Eat a mint after drinking so he doesnt think you are a drunk.
That's terrible advice. For one thing, drunk people say stupid things and often slur their words. For another, he's going to smell it. For another, he will think she's a drunk.

And then what? He also assumes she's a tramp and tries to get her drunker to see if he can get laid, or she's stuck driving home drunk.

If there's no spark, there's no spark. With millions of men out there, there are plenty to choose from where a date won't be like pulling teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Reputation: 16464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That's terrible advice. For one thing, drunk people say stupid things and often slur their words. For another, he's going to smell it. For another, he will think she's a drunk.

And then what? He also assumes she's a tramp and tries to get her drunker to see if he can get laid, or she's stuck driving home drunk.

If there's no spark, there's no spark. With millions of men out there, there are plenty to choose from where a date won't be like pulling teeth.

I was going to suggest the same thing

Edit: oops, i did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 AM
 
8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Reputation: 15220
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I was going to suggest the same thing

Look at it this way: When people get drunk, their own judgment is off. She may find what he says oh, so witty, when really, he's being an arse. Or she may think he's being an arse when really, he's not gung-ho about sitting across the table from someone who obviously felt the need to get drunk in order to see him.

There's nothing wrong with having a drink or two together. But show up sober and see if there is any natural chemistry, first, and don't get drunk on the first few dates. It just doesn't look good for the person who is drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top