Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What's all this home depot stuff mean?
LMAO

Old School - So get when it hits your lips! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I see nothing wrong with them at all. Like many things, a pre/post nuptial agreement can be as little or as much as you want them to be. I'm all in favor.

Besides, you think you know a person until you split up with them. That's what you really find out what they are made of.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I think most people tend to change their minds about a prenup after they go through a divorce. Like Dewdrops stated in her post, I too made a vow until death do us part. That vow didn't matter to my exwife when she decided to sleep around with four different men I thought were friends. She ended up filing for divorce three times in one year and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't afford her attorney fees. The title to valuable property my father had given to me before I married was taken from me and assigned to her attorney. I lost almost everything I had except my desire to excel at my business. She was given that first business too, but I started a second one she wasn't able to take. To answer your question, yes, she is still alive. I'm not going to tell you the thoughts that went through my mind while all of this was going on. I swore I would never marry again...
Your ex-wife was a terrible person...but it reminds me after I had my first child I swore I would never do that again...did you stick to it??I didn't!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
I think most people tend to change their minds about a prenup after they go through a divorce. Like Dewdrops stated in her post, I too made a vow until death do us part. That vow didn't matter to my exwife when she decided to sleep around with four different men I thought were friends. She ended up filing for divorce three times in one year and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't afford her attorney fees. The title to valuable property my father had given to me before I married was taken from me and assigned to her attorney. I lost almost everything I had except my desire to excel at my business. She was given that first business too, but I started a second one she wasn't able to take. To answer your question, yes, she is still alive. I'm not going to tell you the thoughts that went through my mind while all of this was going on. I swore I would never marry again...
Wow...that was absolutely horrible of her, to do to you!!

A follow-up question though: how was she legally able to seize your mentioned pre-marital assets? (I thought pre-marital assets were "off-the-table" from divorce proceedings, at least in non-community property states?) Do you live in a community-property state?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What's all this home depot stuff mean?
Here:

How Do I Know When I've Found Misses Right?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Yep, the next guy I hook up with better be ready to sign the paperwork. Second thought, I think I am better off just dating.

If he has an "issue", there is a problem, and it is not me. You leave with what you come with. No problems there.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
I'm reminded of a joke. One guy discussing his divorce with another, "You never really know a woman until you meet her in court. She cried and the judge wiped her tears with my checkbook."

Seriously, I'm a woman and I'm all for them. I think when you are both young and just starting out without a lot it's ridiculous, but if you are older or on your second marriage and have established yourself and your finances a great deal then it makes sense to me. I busted my hump. I paid for college, I bought a house on my own, I accummulated some coin...for me I'd do it to cover my rear end. Whatever we accummulate after the date of marriage however would become community property and rightfully so, even if one person stayed home. Everything in a marriage works as a support mechanism.

I wouldn't even let the guy I lived with drive my car or vice versa because if he got in an accident with my car I could be sued and lose my house since I was the owner of the vehicle.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Whatever we accummulate after the date of marriage however would become community property and rightfully so, even if one person stayed home. Everything in a marriage works as a support mechanism.
I think most people assume that what you come in with, you leave with. I know that's the law in my state, not sure about others.

However, some here are saying that what you earn in the marriage should be yours and yours alone, e.g. Kobe's wife should not get his millions because he was the basketball player and earned the money while she stayed at home. I think that is what is being argued here.

So it's not really about having the prenup, it's about what the prenup states. I don't think most people would be offended if they were offered a "hands off my pre-marriage assets" contract.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
If my husband had asked me to sign a prenup, he wouldn't be my husband today. I don't want to be married to someone who questioned my intentions or my character or my trust. I love him fully and completely, and if he didn't believe it was going to be like that "til death do us part", then he's not the guy I wanted to marry.

I was eager to go through premarital counseling, and then after marriage to engage in marital strengthening classes through church, take communication classes to learn how to discuss issues, etc. I will take every preventative measure to keep our marriage strong. I will not make plans for what to do if it falls apart--because neither of us are going to let it get to that level.

My husband and I have the same earning potential, similar financial values, and common financial goals. Unless zombies eat his brain tomorrow, I think we'll be okay.

Some people have accused me of being cocky or naive. I don't care--my marriage is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships