U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: When it comes to pornography........
I Am A Women Who Would NOT Want My Husband/Boyfreind To Watch Porn 27 17.53%
I Am A Women Who Wouldn't Care If My Husband/Boyfreind Watched Porn 8 5.19%
I Am A Women Who Would Watch Porn With My Husband/Boyfreind 27 17.53%
I Am A Man Who Would NOT Want My Wife/Girlfreind To Watch Porn 12 7.79%
I Am A Man Who Wouldn't Care If My Wife/Girlfreind Watched Porn 27 17.53%
I Am A Man Who Would Watch Porn With My Wife/Girlfreind 53 34.42%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Location: TX
6,486 posts, read 5,646,792 times
Reputation: 2622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Whether you realize it or not, there is a difference between thinking about something and doing it.
Is it the physical part of cheating that really defines it as cheating? If someone rapes your SO, did they cheat? No, because it wasn't their intention to do it. Similarly, if your boyfriend or girlfriend ATTEMPTS to cheat but fails, is it not just as upsetting?

I suppose one could argue there is a difference between fantasizing about another woman and attempting to cheat physically, but there is no difference between fantasizing about another woman and cheating mentally/emotionally. It's the reason most women have a problem with their SO thinking of another woman while they're having sex. Even though he is physically having sex with her, that's not where his intentions are. He is essentially cheating.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I don't think anyone has the right to try controlling what someone else thinks or does just because you are married to them or dating them. Another persons thoughts are private and no one else's business.
A. This has nothing to do with control. It's simply calling into question the act of fantasizing about another.

B. Other people's thoughts can very easily become someone else's business, because we take our beliefs and mentalities with us as we interact with society. To the extent that how we think affects how we act (try not to transform this is into an extreme statement now), how we think most certainly can affect other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
...trying to control another's thoughts is WRONG!
If you think so, then stop trying to "control" mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
But is it your contention that someone in a committed relationship, should fantasize about having sex with their SO, WHILE they are having sex with their SO? Why would you want to? Fantasizing about having sex with someone while your having sex with that person wouldn't be a fantasy at all.....it would be reality.
Naturally, if you are having sex with your SO, you need not fantasize. But if you are masturbating, I can think of no better person to fantasize about than your own boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife. Mine is who I prefer because that's who I chose to commit myself to! I would never choose another over her, in reality or fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
3rd question: Only if you tell her not to fantasize.
Exactly! Because I never had to tell her not to fantasize about someone other than me (because she has common sense), it's not controlling. She and I AGREE on the subject.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM
 
9,410 posts, read 12,501,461 times
Reputation: 20261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Because I never had to tell her not to fantasize about someone other than me (because she has common sense), it's not controlling. She and I AGREE on the subject.
That's nice that you have someone who is on the same page as you. Now pay us the same respect and realise we have relationships based on the same principle, except fantasies and porn are acceptable to the both of us
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
 
11,868 posts, read 15,443,318 times
Reputation: 20023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Is this a joke?
I hope it was 'cause I laughed.


I can take it or leave it. It's pretty much a non-factor in my life. If my partner wants to watch it occasionally, that's fine. As long as I'm still getting mine, it's all good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: North America
14,204 posts, read 10,894,401 times
Reputation: 5548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
That's nice that you have someone who is on the same page as you. Now pay us the same respect and realise we have relationships based on the same principle, except fantasies and porn are acceptable to the both of us
*begins slow clap*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 11,642,384 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Naturally, if you are having sex with your SO, you need not fantasize. But if you are masturbating, I can think of no better person to fantasize about than your own boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife. Mine is who I prefer because that's who I chose to commit myself to! I would never choose another over her, in reality or fantasy.
.
Just as watching the same porno over and over would get old, so to would it get old fantasizing about the same person. You can't fantasuize about your SO, because you already know pretty much everything about them. There is nothing left to mystery after awhile, thus defeating the very definition of what a fantasy is.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-24-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: TX
6,486 posts, read 5,646,792 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
That's nice that you have someone who is on the same page as you. Now pay us the same respect and realise we have relationships based on the same principle, except fantasies and porn are acceptable to the both of us
Why should I? You say "That's nice you have someone who agrees with you" because that's all that matters in your opinion, not to pay some sort of "respect" to me. I have a different opinion, and it doesn't move me to say "Since your SO is cool with it, pornography/fantasizing about another must be harmless" or to deny that the essence of cheating is mental, not physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just as watching the same porno over and over would get old, so to would it get old fantasizing about the same person. You can't fantasuize about your SO, because you already know pretty much everything about them. There is nothing left to mystery after awhile, thus defeating the very definition of what a fantasy is.
It doesn't even matter to me whether I can call it a fantasy, so I won't bother with semantics. I'll just say my lady keeps me satisfied, no matter how close or far away she is
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
 
4,100 posts, read 6,537,637 times
Reputation: 5657
Default Pornography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You have this erroneous view that fantasising during sex somehow equates or leads to an affair. That's a pretty big leap in thinking.

Do you seek to control other things she thinks about? Like whether she might really be a Republican...or how she views abortion or women's rights or whether she prefers red over yellow as a colour?

Do you see where this controlling never stops?

And how do you know what she's thinking really? Do you guys talk non stop during sex? How do you know that that fantasy she's having that's making her hot and in the mood, is actually helping your sex life?

Trusting someone not to cheat or steal money or pay the bills on time is reasonable behaviour. Trying to control their thoughts isn't.
Very well stated. That is exactly what I'm thinking also. GMTA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Davenport, Iowa
2,467 posts, read 3,826,400 times
Reputation: 3423
Some people like porn, some don't. Some people are okay with their SOs looking at it, some don't. That's the essence of all these threads. I'm not going to change an anti-porn person's mind so I'm not going to worry about them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
 
8,845 posts, read 10,605,226 times
Reputation: 11467
Pornography is the best-ography.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
 
8,680 posts, read 14,040,463 times
Reputation: 15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
That's nice that you have someone who is on the same page as you. Now pay us the same respect and realise we have relationships based on the same principle, except fantasies and porn are acceptable to the both of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why should I? You say "That's nice you have someone who agrees with you" because that's all that matters in your opinion, not to pay some sort of "respect" to me. I have a different opinion, and it doesn't move me to say "Since your SO is cool with it, pornography/fantasizing about another must be harmless" or to deny that the essence of cheating is mental, not physical.



It doesn't even matter to me whether I can call it a fantasy, so I won't bother with semantics. I'll just say my lady keeps me satisfied, no matter how close or far away she is

So now you're in Djuna's head, too? Gee, you like to presume an awful lot.

If you have someone who shares your views, good for you. I have someone who shares mine. Dang straight that's what matters. Your opinion on what is right and wrong, and what partners should and should not think, with or without someone else attempting to control those thoughts, is irrelevant to my relationship. You can opine all you want, but in the grand scheme of things, it means absolutely nothing to anyone but you and perhaps your partner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top