Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM

30,620 posts, read 21,792,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
I wonder if a question like this only gets asked in America. I am Dominican and we have people all skin tones you can imagine. We are all mixed. My dad is what we consider to be "white" and my mom is "black." My dad loves me regardless. In fact, people have said since I was born that I look just like him. My grandmother (my dad's mom) is even "whiter" than my dad, and she loves me to death. My brother has two sons, one of them is his skin tone (brown?) and the other one is "white" like my sister-in-law, one of them even has blue eyes. Does my brother love one of them more than the other? I am sure he does not. If any of you see my family on New Year's day (we all a whole bunch of loud Dominicans, lol), some might think that we are not related as we go from the lighest to the darkest.

I guess I am having a hard time grasping some of these "race related" threads because where I am from seeing people of different skin stones together, getting married and having kids is just part of everyday life.

To the OP, if this question is for real, common sense tells me that if a man of a different race is willing to date me seriously and/or marry me, having mixed children is not a problem. Good parents love their children regardless of what color they might be.
Not just American even though people from around the world seem to like to say that. So racism, doesn't exist in the DR? So cool! There are more than a few examples in the Caribbean with lighter skin favoritism.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,939,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Cupcake View Post
I'm a black woman and very curious about whether non black guys tend to avoid interracial marriages with black women because they do not want mixed children?

I guess white guys view Asian and Hispanic women as a safe bet, because the children produced from those unions will still look fairly white, while the child will more than likely be darker if created with a black woman. I think this definitely plays a role in the low IR rates between black women and non black men. What are your thoughts?
Here it is in a nutshell. If a man loves the woman he will love the child. A main issue with deadbeat dads is in many instances a child is just a byproduct of sex. The man didn't care about the woman so there's no bonding with the child.

The purpose of dating is to get answers to questions such as this. If you find out the man has no desire for kids or something like that it's just wasting time to go any longer.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 AM

526 posts, read 953,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Not just American even though people from around the world seem to like to say that. So racism, doesn't exist in the DR? So cool! There are more than a few examples in the Caribbean with lighter skin favoritism.
Of course it does, racism is everywhere. I'm not from this country so that's why I was wondering. Race/skin color in this country seems to be very important to many people. Not what I am used to, but hey I respect every and all opinions.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,409,808 times
Quote:
Of course it does, racism is everywhere. I'm not from this country so that's why I was wondering. Race/skin color in this country seems to be very important to many people. Not what I am used to, but hey I respect every and all opinions.
It's not your imagination, believe me. Sometimes countries where PC is almost a religion have the biggest racial issues hidden underneath.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,325,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Cupcake View Post
I'm a black woman and very curious about whether non black guys tend to avoid interracial marriages with black women because they do not want mixed children?

I guess white guys view Asian and Hispanic women as a safe bet, because the children produced from those unions will still look fairly white, while the child will more than likely be darker if created with a black woman. I think this definitely plays a role in the low IR rates between black women and non black men. What are your thoughts?
Actually white fathers with black mothers usually produce kids that are for all outwards purposes white.
I have friends and family that are of this mix

Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,325,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You'll find racism anywhere. But for places like DR and PR and Cuba... it's a lot less. Like DRgirl said familys are from the very dark to the very white. I'm of Puerto Rican descent and my father is dark skinned my mother is light skinned (pratically white) I have a great color... color just doesn't matter.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM

365 posts, read 643,496 times
Quote:
I wonder if a question like this only gets asked in America. I am Dominican and we have people all skin tones you can imagine. We are all mixed. My dad is what we consider to be "white" and my mom is "black." My dad loves me regardless. In fact, people have said since I was born that I look just like him. My grandmother (my dad's mom) is even "whiter" than my dad, and she loves me to death. My brother has two sons, one of them is his skin tone (brown?) and the other one is "white" like my sister-in-law, one of them even has blue eyes. Does my brother love one of them more than the other? I am sure he does not. If any of you see my family on New Year's day (we all a whole bunch of loud Dominicans, lol), some might think that we are not related as we go from the lighest to the darkest.

I guess I am having a hard time grasping some of these "race related" threads because where I am from seeing people of different skin stones together, getting married and having kids is just part of everyday life.

To the OP, if this question is for real, common sense tells me that if a man of a different race is willing to date me seriously and/or marry me, having mixed children is not a problem. Good parents love their children regardless of what color they might be.
I just got finish reading "the brief and wondrous life of oscar wao". If what the book is saying has a hint of truth to it. Dominican Republic knows all about race.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,563,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
You'll find racism anywhere. But for places like DR and PR and Cuba... it's a lot less. Like DRgirl said familys are from the very dark to the very white. I'm of Puerto Rican descent and my father is dark skinned my mother is light skinned (pratically white) I have a great color... color just doesn't matter.
I think it's complicated in Latin America; while the racism of DR and PR isn't always like North American racism, it is certainly there and manifests itself in different ways. Cuba is another thing altogether. We have a very nasty history of racism against blacks.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,563,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
I just got finish reading "the brief and wondrous life of oscar wao". If what the book is saying has a hint of truth to it. Dominican Republic knows all about race.
"Where you from? You look like you speak a little French..........."

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,707,829 times
just talking about mixed (black/white) scenarios, sometimes one of the first things they do when they get into an arguement is call the woman the "N" word, even the children too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships