Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times

Advertisements

So I've been pretty much out of the dating game for most of the last 3 years, that is, up until 2 weeks ago. I just started dating this woman, and our connection is so strong that we've decided to be in a committed relationship.

I want to do something very nice for her on her birthday without going overboard. Her birthday also happens to be 4 days after Valentine's Day. So I need to get this together rather quickly. I think the birthday will be a bigger deal than Valentine's Day. Her girlfriends are throwing her a party, so I don't need to be concerned with that, but what are some thoughtful, inexpensive gift ideas? How much should I do? She's not materialistic at all, so thats a great thing. It just needs to be thoughtful and maybe a bit creative. Ideas needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Wow! Congrats to you on the relationship. As far as ideas, something related to her interests? Hopefully you know what that would be. I always like a man that cooks for me and goes all out...nice table setting, candles, fresh flowers on the table, good food, followed by wine on a comfy couch with the lights turned low.....

Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
By Valentine's and her birthday, you'll only have been dating for about 5 weeks so whatever you do, don't go overboard for either one.

Is there a place where you could get a dozen heart-shaped cookies, or something similar, that isn't a dozen roses for $100?

As for her birthday, a nice dinner out, and maybe a token gift, like a CD or book by her favourite artist or author (if she's into music or books). Something that shows you pay attention to her and her interests. My SO is very thoughtful about gifts, and that is more important to me than what money is spent.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
By Valentine's and her birthday, you'll only have been dating for about 5 weeks so whatever you do, don't go overboard for either one.

Is there a place where you could get a dozen heart-shaped cookies, or something similar, that isn't a dozen roses for $100?

As for her birthday, a nice dinner out, and maybe a token gift, like a CD or book by her favourite artist or author (if she's into music or books). Something that shows you pay attention to her and her interests. My SO is very thoughtful about gifts, and that is more important to me than what money is spent.
agreed!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So I've been pretty much out of the dating game for most of the last 3 years, that is, up until 2 weeks ago. I just started dating this woman, and our connection is so strong that we've decided to be in a committed relationship.

I want to do something very nice for her on her birthday without going overboard. Her birthday also happens to be 4 days after Valentine's Day. So I need to get this together rather quickly. I think the birthday will be a bigger deal than Valentine's Day. Her girlfriends are throwing her a party, so I don't need to be concerned with that, but what are some thoughtful, inexpensive gift ideas? How much should I do? She's not materialistic at all, so thats a great thing. It just needs to be thoughtful and maybe a bit creative. Ideas needed!
None of us know her.

You have a strong connection to her.

Why are you asking us?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

She may be watching her diet, so not sure about cookies or food items.

I agree with a book or CD, just to play it safe.

By the way, congrats on scoring big, ATL!!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
We have a proud new owner of a relationship!

Seriously, Congratulations and I suggest flowers delivered to her work and a card.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Default Go to a jazz concert!

I think a nice present would be two tickets to a concert of some sort, maybe a jazz concert. Then then stop at a fun place for late night snack/drink.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Congrats. That was quick.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 59,120 times
Congratulations! This isn't something specific, but get her something thoughtful. It doesn't have to be anything expensive, just something to show you put time into thinking about what to get. For example, if you have an inside joke you can get her something pertaining to that (maybe not the only thing you do for her but something to make her laugh)! Or maybe she mentioned she really wanted to go see a certain play or movie... Just something to show you are paying attention to what she says =) Maybe some flowers too! Not roses, do something original! All girls are different and you will know what she likes better than anyone on this forum Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships