Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I'm Gay and I have a goat for a pet. Well, actually, he's a ferret, but he's a Capricorn, sign of the goat. Just don't care for cats!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
No reply from Lao?? I guess the cats got his tongue!!
The Siamese Cat, lol

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm Gay and I have a goat for a pet. Well, actually, he's a ferret, but he's a Capricorn, sign of the goat. Just don't care for cats!

So it's ferret's that gay men have has pets! I guess the OP thought it was a cat.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
So like I had 3 cats when I was married so what does make me??? Not to mention 2 dogs.

I'm confused sexually now.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So like I had 3 cats when I was married so what does make me??? Not to mention 2 dogs.

I'm confused sexually now.
About a 2 on the Kinsey scale I guess...

Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Since you're the expert Lao (and Facebook polls with representative samples are so reliable), can you answer the question I put to you before, do you find it more common for:

(a) single women to own cats?

(b) single gay men to own cats?

than single straight males?
I think it is absolutely more common for women to own cats than men. Gay/straight has NOTHING to do with it. NOTHING AT ALL. Its ridiculous to even try to somehow equate sexual preference to cat ownership. I think everyone the world over knows that more women own cats than men. Sure there are men cat owners, but the majority of cat owners are women. Never heard of an "old can man", but "old cat lady" is quite common.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think it is absolutely more common for women to own cats than men. Gay/straight has NOTHING to do with it. NOTHING AT ALL. Its ridiculous to even try to somehow equate sexual preference to cat ownership. I think everyone the world over knows that more women own cats than men. Sure there are men cat owners, but the majority of cat owners are women. Never heard of an "old can man", but "old cat lady" is quite common.
However, I've never heard of an "old dog man" either... Maybe the old cat ladies are fulfilling a primeval feminine need to take care of other sentient beings, provide shelter etc.

But yeah, I associate cats with women and dogs with men despite the fact that I love both and I know single -straight- men who have cats. I don't know why but the association is there.

Remember The War of the Roses? Kathleen Turner had a cat and Michael Douglas had a dog. Both animals were supposed to represent what their owners were like. I know, I know: far from being conclusive, that movie... Wasn't it?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Statistics say more women than men own pets in general. However, although there are no hard (or soft) statistics (it is rare to find an owner, man or woman, walking a cat in public), it seems that single, heterosexual male cat owners are on the rise. Over the last few years Sandra DeFeo, an executive director at the Humane Society of New York, said she had seen an increase in the number of single, straight men who are adopting cats. There has been a 25% rise in the number of men adopting cats in the last 5 years.

I'm a heterosexual women who loves all animals, but I am not a cat person and own dogs. I even became a dog foster for a dog rescue organization and work with a group almost completely comprised of women, maybe one man, who do the same.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I haven't noticed it myself but I live in Australia so it's different here.

Single women are definitely just as likely, or perhaps even more likely, to own a pet dog than single men though, in my experience.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Statistics say more women than men own pets in general. However, although there are no hard (or soft) statistics (it is rare to find an owner, man or woman, walking a cat in public), it seems that single, heterosexual male cat owners are on the rise. Over the last few years Sandra DeFeo, an executive director at the Humane Society of New York, said she had seen an increase in the number of single, straight men who are adopting cats. There has been a 25% rise in the number of men adopting cats in the last 5 years.
Cats are more convenient. Most are very independent and they don't need as much space (though lack of space is more of an European problem). I guess this is the main reason: people who want to live with animals but have hectic schedules are left with fewer options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships