Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,631,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Anyway I think I have made up my mind, I am going to wait until her birthday in August so I can save up some money for a ring and a trip somewhere, plus it gives us time. Thanks guys.
Sounds like a good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,642,069 times
Quote:
Anyway I think I have made up my mind, I am going to wait until her birthday in August so I can save up some money for a ring and a trip somewhere, plus it gives us time. Thanks guys.
This is a good plan, though a better one would be to wait until August 2013

If you guys are still together by August come back and let us know!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,837,710 times
Lol I have every faith we will be!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Lol I have every faith we will be!
I sincerely hope so

Just know, it usually takes approximately 2 years for the "honeymoon phase" of a relationship to wear off.

If you marry before that happens you risk having a rude awakening later down the line and not being happy with the relationship you are left with.

Just a word to the wise

Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,070,196 times
You have already made your decision but I will comment;

Is it too soon ? maybe, maybe not, it isn't that simple.
Are you too young ? Maybe, it depends on your position in life; college, career, living status, are you "ready" to be Dad?
There are loads of things ya'll don't know about each other yet.

Years ago it was very common to be married and have children already at your age.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I sincerely hope so

Just know, it usually takes approximately 2 years for the "honeymoon phase" of a relationship to wear off.

If you marry before that happens you risk having a rude awakening later down the line and not being happy with the relationship you are left with.

Just a word to the wise
I don't agree with this. Everyone is different, every circumstance is different too. There are no blanket "rules" for these things.

OP, do what feels right for you and to you.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I don't agree with this. Everyone is different, every circumstance is different too. There are no blanket "rules" for these things.

OP, do what feels right for you and to you.
You don't have to agree with me, the science is there to prove me right

In general, those who marry before the relationship has aged beyond the euphoric brand-new-in-love honeymoon phase often don't make it in the long run.

Time is your friend, especially when you are only 22

And if the love is real and meant to be, it will be. Giving the love time will only enhance it, not ruin it.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You don't have to agree with me, the science is there to prove me right

In general, those who marry before the relationship has aged beyond the euphoric brand-new-in-love honeymoon phase often don't make it in the long run.

Time is your friend, especially when you are only 22

And if the love is real and meant to be, it will be. Giving the love time will only enhance it, not ruin it.
There is no hard science on this. Only anecdotes, personal opinions and speculation. Divorce as a phenomenon has not been around long enough to gather stats or conduct hard scientific experiments. Even people who stay married don't always date for an arbitrary amount of time, like 2 years and there are people who do stay married after dating a shorter time. The OP needs to do what feels right to him and his lady, not anybody else.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
There is no hard science on this. Only anecdotes, personal opinions and speculation. Divorce as a phenomenon has not been around long enough to gather stats or conduct hard scientific experiments.
We will just have to agree to disagree

I stand behind my statement. If couples want their marriage to make it long term, they need to give themselves time to get beyond the honeymoon phase before they say "I do".

Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
We will just have to agree to disagree
Fair enough.

Quote:
I stand behind my statement. If couples want their marriage to make it long term, they need to give themselves time to get beyond the honeymoon phase before they say "I do".
It's good to know the fundamental values about each other and experienced an argument or two but not too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships