Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

In today's world of online dating I 've notice a common occurence, many people like to say they have "no preference" when it comes to a person's race. I'm often confused by this notion, and left wondering if they are being truthful.

In this thread let's try to discover if there is any truth to this pattern. Do you prefer one particular race, more than one race but not all of them, or have "no preference" in a potential mate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In today's world of online dating I 've notice a common occurence, many people like to say they have "no preference" when it comes to a person's race. I'm often confused by this notion, and left wondering if they are being truthful.

In this thread let's try to discover if there is any truth to this pattern. Do you prefer one particular race, more than one race but not all of them, or have "no preference" in a potential mate?
I don't think it means definitely "no preference." If I were to say it, it will mean that while I may not generally be attracted to a certain race, I don't necessarily want to exclude the very few who I may find appealing, for some reason. It's the same with any other preference... I don't really want a man with small children, either, but there just may be one who I can make an exception for.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Some people just don't want to seem racist. If they don't want to date a certain race they'll simply ignore them.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
If the person is right, their race does not matter. That's not to say that I don't find some races/ethnicities more or less attractive in general, but an individual person can totally overturn those general preferences by being compatible and attractive - to me.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post

My preference in a physical sense is 'broadly' as follows...

Asian
White -tie- Latina
Other
Black

However, my preferences will go right out the window once I get to know them. And I have found certain Black women to be very attractive in a physical sense.

Forget preferences. There's MANY people who won't even consider dating certain races.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
There's a difference between finding someone to have a bit of fun with and finding a spouse to have children with.

Even among people who have a set ideal of what their future partner/family will be like, they would still be open to dating people outside that ideal, but not with the intention (at least initially) that the relationship will last.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
My preference in a physical sense is 'broadly' as follows...

Asian
White -tie- Latina
Other
Black

However, my preferences will go right out the window once I get to know them. And I have found certain Black women to be very attractive in a physical sense.

Forget preferences. There's MANY people who won't even consider dating certain races.
There is a difference between having preference and outright eliminating most of the human race. The reasons why someone doesn't date outside their race differ so I don't judge them. It's not something that's expected, but my personal philosophy is that race really doesn't matter. I've found women of all races - from the darkest Africans (I once mentioned in another thread I found extremely dark not that attractive, but upon seeing some of the beautiful African women I truly think I am changing my mind on that one), to the palest girl from Ireland. I do admit some features still are less attractive to me, but individuals of all races can have them.

At the moment I think I'd like the idea of finding a mixed race girl. They probably aren't as hung up about the idea of race, either.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Maybe people want to cast a wide net.

My "preference" is people that are similar to me. Which can range from darker-skinned whites to Latino to Asian to light-skinned black. But, you never know.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
One of these days we will realize that the blood that races through our hearts is one color.

[seriously ]

Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
Why is this so hard to get your head around? It really doesn't matter. Shared values are more important to some people than shared skin color. Capeesh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships