Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
I'm a guy and I must say I agree with this. Plenty of men DO think that they can 'buy' a woman by posting 'flash' pics of their crap that they POSSIBLY are in debt for. You cannot determine whether someone is wealthy based on a few pics... and even if it were the case, is that what you really want - a guy who puts a higher premium on 'stuff' than an actual REAL relationship not based on 'stuff'?
You know, I used to feel kinda sorry for these guys. But then I realized that like attracts like. If you predicate your worth on how much money/stuff you make, you'll attract a person who does the same. Perfect match!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Either it's one heck of a profile, or you're so simple and boring you can fit everything about yourself in terms of value in a relationship to be summed up in a few sentences.
Uh, huh. I just don't remember asking for feedback on my profile though.

Quote:
If that's your strategy. I always found it creepy when guys I knew told me they only search for brand new female profiles so they can get to them before anyone else. But if that's what you're looking for, an advantage of time over your competition then I hope that helps you.
Actually, you have a better chance of finding someone who is seriously looking for long term relationship with the new members than the ones who have hung around Match for years and are pretty much addicted to it. That's the idea. The guy I have met is already ready to shut down his account and he just joined. Half of my supposedly "matches" were there the last time I was there. Three years ago. Same pictures, same profile, same boring lines, same everything. Now, that's creepy.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
I'm a guy and I must say I agree with this. Plenty of men DO think that they can 'buy' a woman by posting 'flash' pics of their crap that they POSSIBLY are in debt for. You cannot determine whether someone is wealthy based on a few pics... and even if it were the case, is that what you really want - a guy who puts a higher premium on 'stuff' than an actual REAL relationship not based on 'stuff'?
Exactly. It's so shallow and frankly kind of stupid. Even the mirror shot guys are smarter than them.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Actually, you have a better chance of finding someone who is seriously looking for long term relationship with the new members than the ones who have hung around Match for years and are pretty much addicted to it. That's the idea. The guy I have met is already ready to shut down his account and he just joined. Half of my supposedly "matches" were there the last time I was there. Three years ago. Same pictures, same profile, same boring lines, same everything. Now, that's creepy.
What's even creepier is that some of these guys will actually announce in their profile that the last relationship that they had with someone they met on Match.com recently ended, and that's why they're back on the site again. Doh!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I have not been lucky on Match...found a couple of guys who were okay...but most seemed to be players. I will stick to just meeting guys at church.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM

It would feel really strange for me to go to church with a hidden agenda of trying to meet guys

Seems like most of them are already married too. Isn't that the reason they are at church in the first place?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Well, I go to church for religious reasons, but there are single men there...it is better than a bar.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
I did join Match or Harmony but that was some time ago. It was the site that asks you an absurd amount of questions to determine your personality and match. All I can say is I did meet one of my matches and was horrified to learn that he was abused mentally by his mother. I have no clue how they matched me up with such a person as I came from a very loving and family oriented background. That was the end for me.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM

9 posts, read 18,613 times
I think online dating can become an exercise in frustration at times. I guess I was naive that a man would post pics of certain items in his profile knowing he would only attract specific kinds of females. I thought men would want a woman that wanted them for who they are, not what they had. So I was idealistic. I tend to be that way naturally, which can be a negative at times. The dog thing I understand because I have always loved animals and I have met people who can not stand to have an animal in the house. That would be an automatic "no" for me, and I think someone who posts that you must love their dog/cat/whatever is trying to cut to the chase and automatically eliminate the possibility of someone who hates animals. I was disturbed as well by leaving the site for a year and a half and going back to see that a large proportion of people who were there a year or longer ago were still on there. I could chalk that up to different things..perhaps they are eccentric and have had a hard time getting in to a relationship with someone, perhaps they are clueless when it comes to human behavior/dating/mating. They could be dysfunctional, they could be in it just for the game. Maybe there are just as many women with issues on the site as men and maybe some of the men find it equally difficult to find a normal type of relationship on there. I think when a person ponders the wide range of human behaviors/personalities out there that it is likely that online you are capable of meeting people from every type of variability therefore it seems you are running in to a wide range of issues (which you are). When you stay in your own circle of friends/group you are less likely to see this wide range that you experience on-line. So the on-line experience can seem strange, overwhelming, or even idiotic. I think you have to keep things in perspective and realize what you are expecting to encounter is unrealistic. As much as the personalities vary the IQ level you run in to also varies. One horrible thing...the worst? When someone posts pictures that are blurry or 5 or more years old. A picture that does not reflect reality is horrible...no excuses for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships