Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM

11,766 posts, read 11,976,290 times

Advertisements

I read this article in the February edition of Psychology Today, and located it online to share. It's 5 pages and definitely worth the read.

Are You with the Right Mate? | Psychology Today

Quote:
No one is going to get all their needs met in a relationship, he insists. He urges fundamental acceptance of the person we choose and the one who chooses us. "We're all flawed. With parenting, we know that comes with the territory. With spouses, we say 'This is terrible.'"

The culture, however, pushes us in the direction of discontent. "Some disillusionment and feelings of discouragement are normal in the love-based matches in our culture," explains Doherty. "But consumer culture tells us we should not settle for anything that is not ideal for us."

As UCLA psychologist Thomas Bradbury puts it, "You don't have a line-item veto when it comes to your partner. It's a package deal; the bad comes with the good."

Further, he says, it's too simplistic an interpretation that your partner is the one who's wrong. "We tend to point our finger at the person in front of us. We're fairly crude at processing some information. We tend not to think, 'Maybe I'm not giving her what she needs.' 'Maybe he's disgruntled because I'm not opening up to him.' Or, 'Maybe he's struggling in his relationships with other people.' The more sophisticated question is, 'In what ways are we failing to make one another happy?'"

Now in a long-term relationship, Toronto's Katz has come to believe that "Marriage is not about finding the right person. It's about becoming the right person. Many people feel they married the wrong person, but I've learned that it's truly about growing to become a better husband."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,733,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I read this article in the February edition of Psychology Today, and located it online to share. It's 5 pages and definitely worth the read.

Are You with the Right Mate? | Psychology Today
The key to success: 1) know the things you like about them. 2) Understand the things you don't. 3) Don't try to change them.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,015,749 times
I skimmed through it. I agree that a preference for the same activities is not that important, as long as both partners can freely do their own thing and still have at least some shared interests. However, most of the time they give each other guilt trips that bring resentment and eventually suffocate each other.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,774,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I skimmed through it. I agree that a preference for the same activities is not that important, as long as both partners can freely do their own thing and still have at least some shared interests. However, most of the time they give each other guilt trips that bring resentment and eventually suffocate each other.
You are very right. There is often so much unnecessary drama in relationships as well. I blame the media

BTW good to see you again, this place isn't the same without you

Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,239,385 times
After getting past my initial amusement over the photos--too cute!--I read the whole thing. I agree with the notion that we are conditioned to be very either/or in our thinking, with emphasis on unrealistic ideals. We can see it here on these threads every day, with people making mountains out of molehills, overanalyzing stuff that is just not that important in the grand scheme of either life or a relationship, and criticizing or dumping others over the smallest offenses, for the most superficial reasons.

What's sad is that it's not necessarily teenagers or inexperienced young adults in their early 20s who do this. It's people in their 30s and beyond. Wayyyyy too many expectations, and far too many people blaming their partners for their unhappiness, as though it's their partner's responsibility, indeed mission in life, to make them happy. And if they are single and miserable, it's the other gender entirely. "Men are..." "Women are..."

Last year, there was a fellow who came on here who was very angry and upset over his wife's disinterest in sex. Some people piled on, and told him to divorce her, give her ultimatums, and so on. Others confronted him and asked him to look at how his own anger and demeanor could be making the situation worse, considering the harsh language he was using when speaking about her.

And you know what? He had the maturity to look at his own role and the effect his own behavior might have had on the deterioration of the marriage. Last I heard from him, over the holidays, things were slowly but surely getting better--and more power to him!

That is the kind of maturity, introspection, and sense of responsibility and accountability the article seeks to impart on people.

I hope everyone here reads it.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,023,080 times
A mate is someone who complements you, not someone who is your mirror image.

I am always amazed by the insipid reasons people use to reject others, then whine endlessly about their failed romantic lives.

So I'm going to make it simple. Here are the things that matter, in no particular order:

1) Shared values. Note that this is far different from shared tastes.
2) A good sense of humor, or at least one that meshes well with yours.
3) Treating the world, especially you, with respect.
4) Mutual physical chemistry.

That's it. Anything else is gravy.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-31-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,239,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

One of things that I am amazed by the insipid reasons people use to reject others, then whine endlessly about their failed romantic lives.

So I'm going to make it simple. Here are the things that matter.

Can't rep you again, or I would.

Bonus for the use of "insipid." I was trying to get to that word last night and it wouldn't let me. I kept thinking, "not vapid, the other 'id.' Grrrrr, what is the word?" Tip-of-the-tongue situation.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-31-2012 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: editorial consistency ;-)

Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,023,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Can't rep you again, or I would.

Bonus for the use of "insipid." I was trying to get to that word last night and it wouldn't let me. I kept thinking, "not vapid, the other 'id.' Grrrrr, what is the word?" Tip-of-the-tongue situation.
Thanks. But I had to reword that sentence because of the bone-headed subject-verb disagreement. The writer in me, I guess.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,883,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I am always amazed by the insipid reasons people use to reject others, then whine endlessly about their failed romantic lives.

So I'm going to make it simple. Here are the things that matter, in no particular order:

Very well said. I totally agree. Mrs. Lao and I are totally different on a lot of things, but we definitely are each others soul mates (if you believe in that sort of thing). But even with all of our differences, we pretty much share all four things you listed.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,444,916 times
This is one of the better articles on this subject, IMO. cpg summarizes most of it nicely, but there are plenty of nuances that make it well worth reading and thinking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships