Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyte byrd View Post
sometimes it takes more courage and strength to turn and walk away rather that stand and right-fight.
this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,423,860 times
Weakness? By whos definition? Someone who refuses to restrain themselves might find it weak. But to consider the consequences of gving into a fit of anger is the mark maturity and wisdom. Some experts now feel that the ability to manage emotions and to deal with people is more valuable than intelligence. One key to controlling your emotions is learning to control your thoughts. Negative thoughts can sap you of the energy you need to take action. Proverbs 19:11 says: “The insight of a man certainly slows down his anger, and it is beauty on his part to pass over transgression.” When someone upsets you, try to understand why he or she behaved that way. Was that person deliberately trying to hurt you? Could it be that he or she was acting impulsively or out of ignorance? Taking the time to consider these points is not weakness or copping out. On the other hand, they require patience and intuition to accomplish. Definite traits of a strong mind.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,592,324 times
Many years ago, this girl broke up with me, because she said "we never argued". I thought that was a good thing. I guess it really depends what the argument is about, if its something very personal and close to your heart, chances are its worth standing up for. If its something trivial or nonsensical, because your SO needs drama in their life, I usually laugh pretty hard.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM

307 posts, read 629,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Many years ago, this girl broke up with me, because she said "we never argued". I thought that was a good thing.
That's a perfect example of a woman that loves drama. Maybe you should start holding purses when you are asked. If your "test" theory is correct then the drama queens will self-select out and you will be left with ones that aren't crazy.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,806,451 times
Arguing is brutal and a win/lose situation.
Discussion of differences is a win/win situation.
I would walk away from a relationship early on if involved with a person who wanted to argue rather than discuss differences.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj19 View Post
is it a sign of weakness to be nice and turn the other way?Or should you stand up and give in to the argument??
I don't consider it a sign of weakness to walk away sometimes, in fact I think it shows intelligence to know when an argument is going to go nowhere but bad and walk away to prevent that. There are times to stick up and fight and times where walking away will save your life.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,247,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj19 View Post
is it a sign of weakness to be nice and turn the other way?Or should you stand up and give in to the argument??
It takes more strength to shut up and walk away...but what fun would that be. So be the weaker person and argue.

Last edited by SVTRay; 02-01-2012 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 PM

320 posts, read 537,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I don't consider it a sign of weakness to walk away sometimes, in fact I think it shows intelligence to know when an argument is going to go nowhere but bad and walk away to prevent that. There are times to stick up and fight and times where walking away will save your life.
Agreed... Each person has their own set of issues that he/she feels strongly about. If you're arguing about something simply because you want to be right, then that will probably end up doing more harm than good in the long run. However, if the argument is something that you feel very strongly about, then that is definitely a time (in my opinion) to speak up and clearly state your point of view.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Many years ago, this girl broke up with me, because she said "we never argued". I thought that was a good thing. I guess it really depends what the argument is about, if its something very personal and close to your heart, chances are its worth standing up for. If its something trivial or nonsensical, because your SO needs drama in their life, I usually laugh pretty hard.
That or she think that people who are close should argue because if people are being honest with each other they are bound to disagree. She probably grew up in a household that was full of arguing. I did too, but I was always the odd one out because I was quiet and didn't like an argument. Maybe the fact it was that when people argue it's often ego rather than the rightness or wrongness of something.

I think it depends. If you back down because you know you're wrong and a bad sport, you're being taken advantage of, it's weak. If you argue just to inflate your ego or prove you are smarter, you are just big-headed.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
I'm always single -- don't do what I do and you'll be just fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships