Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

I can relate with my fiancee. She has a very petite frame, and when she was younger was extremely skinny. However, she developed hypothyroid, which has been a major factory in her gaining some weight. She is still very attractive, but she is significantly heavier than when she was rail thin 10 years ago too.

Her medical condition works on her in two negatives. First, it causes her body to fail to properly process carbs. So even on a low carb diet, instead of burning them off the body turns them to fat. The second negative is energy level. Because the body is not getting the maximum energy from it's fuel through this inefficiency in processing carbs, she tires quicker, feels lethargic easier than others, and overall requires more sleep to recharge. So allthough she loves to be active, this hinder's her ability to exercise as well.

So it works as a double edge sword, and is a constant struggle for her every day of her life, even with it being treated with medication.

It weights on her psychologically, because her self image is based on how she used to be, and that she may struggle and never get back there no matter how much she tries.

I just make sure she knows I love her for who she is, am attracted to her, and am not judging her. If she asks for something specific that will help her, I let her do it, have it, etc. It is a very tough and sensitive topic for her, that causes her some down feelings. I just try to counter them by building her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh05 View Post
Your SO or close friend is overweight due to a medical condition. People in the street shout a rude comment about her size.

Additionally, She later tells you that she's been getting it a lot recently. Mean comments in the gym/swimming pool and even in work.

You're a guy...how do you feel and what do you do.
1. I'd feel nothing.

2. I'll have a word with the other person to issue a warning. In my old country, I can simply teach him a proper lesson with hired hockey sticks and some currency notes for the doctor. But I understand other countries don't work this way.

3. Find a richer gym where the scum of society doesn't hang around.

4. Buy her a milk shake

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
How do you get overweight from a medical condition?
Easy - by having to take meds that make you balloon.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Quote:
How do you get overweight from a medical condition?

Generally diet is the major factor in obesity......

Evidently you have never had to be on a long-term course of steriods or you wouldn't say this. This medication can absolutley make you blow up like a puffer fish and has nothing to do with over-eating.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
I would just support her and tell her that you care about her for her, not for her weight, etc. Those other people are childish, and life has a funny way of working. Most likely they will become big. All you can really do is be there for her and support her, and do the best you can to let her know that you don't think of her as such. If she starts taking things out on you because of her insecurities, let it go. Understand why she is doing it and just let it go. know that whatever it is, it really isn't about you.

I had a friend who married a thin girl who after a few years got fat. When she was fat, she started acting out towards him. Ex, He always let her walk in front of him. That's how he was raised. Let the women go first. She started to lash out by saying, you just want to look at other girls, etc, etc. He knew why she was insecure and so he just let it go. When she eventually lost weight,(had some kind of surgery) she was asking him why he stayed with her throughout the times when she was fat. He said when I married you, I took our vows seriously. For better or worse. He said that he would always love her no matter what size she was. Sometimes people just need that kind of reasurrance..I'm pretty sure she will always remember that about him.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Easy - by having to take meds that make you balloon.
Thats right. Remember Jerry Lewis a few telethons ago? He was HUGE! And it was from medicine.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Your SO or close friend is overweight due to a medical condition. People in the street shout a rude comment about her size.

Additionally, She later tells you that she's been getting it a lot recently. Mean comments in the gym/swimming pool and even in work.

You're a guy...how do you feel and what do you do.

I would hope any man who cares about a woman would be appalled to hear or see her be mistreated. Surely that makes sense to you?

When you are not with her there is nothing you can do other then to comfort her when she tells you about it and be as supportive as possible for her emotionally.

Then remind her how proud you are that she's at the gym and in the pool trying to improve her level of physical fitness.

If you ARE with her when this happens, you'd have to decide on a case by case basis what to say or do, depending on what kind of people are being rude.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Evidently you have never had to be on a long-term course of steriods or you wouldn't say this. This medication can absolutley make you blow up like a puffer fish and has nothing to do with over-eating.

didn't realize so many american women are on steroids causing them to be overweight....

seriously?

it has to be a VERY small percentage of people with a medically induced overweight situation

Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
thank you for the responses so far. this is not actiually about my partner but i don't want to go into too much details about the situation (at least not just yet).

To top things off this woman tried to take her own life after getting so upset that everything was so beyond her control.
She needs some real help. There are people who just can't lose weight and keep it off. If her quality of life is so poor that she would rather be dead....go fix the problem. Get weight loss surgery, probably the duodenal switch because that has the best long term results for people who are weight loss resistant.

If she was my friend, I would encourage her to take back her life.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
didn't realize so many american women are on steroids causing them to be overweight....

seriously?

it has to be a VERY small percentage of people with a medically induced overweight situation
The OP clearly stated she gained weight from a medical issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships