Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,139,471 times

Advertisements

There is a thread about open relationships. Which led me to think about another question. What if right now your significant other asked you about having an open relationship? Where would you stand on it. What would you do if your partner approached you with this idea. This can be a new partner (someone you just started dating) or someone you've been married too for many years. How would them asking that question effect your relationship? Or would it effect your relationship?

Your thoughts please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
If my beloved husband asked me to consider this lifestyle, my first question would be,

WHAT TIME IS THE APPT WITH THE MARRIAGE COUNSELOR?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If my beloved husband asked me to consider this lifestyle, my first question would be,

WHAT TIME IS THE APPT WITH THE MARRIAGE COUNSELOR?

I think knowing my girl wanted sexual relations with someone else would be enough for ME to leave her..I don't think that our relationship could last. Just the knowledge alone would bother me. I couldn't handle it. So it makes me wonder if many relationships have failed because one partner or another brought it up..

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
I would be fine with it as long as the boundaries are clearly defined and adhered to. There is always the risk of losing someone, open relationship or not.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I would be fine with it as long as the boundaries are clearly defined and adhered to. There is always the risk of losing someone, open relationship or not.

So your saying that it doesn't bother you that your partner wants other people?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I think knowing my girl wanted sexual relations with someone else would be enough for ME to leave her..I don't think that our relationship could last. Just the knowledge alone would bother me. I couldn't handle it. So it makes me wonder if many relationships have failed because one partner or another brought it up..
My marriage wouldn't fail just because he might ask the question.

But that would be because I would work hard with him to get to the bottom of the real issue and work on that

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,039,892 times
I'd say "sure honey, just meet me at the lawyer's office first so we can get those divorce papers filed".

Because while he may be asking for an "open marriage" what I'd be hearing is "I think I can do better but I don't want to leave the safety of this relationship until I figure that out for sure".

So buh-bye! Have fun with that!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,144,864 times
I'd probably break up with her, or if I were married, I would go to a divorce attorney. Open relationships and breaks are the same thing, in those cases, you're not in a relationship anymore. You're telling me you want to see other people, fine, do it. But we'd be done, you know?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'd say "sure honey, just meet me at the lawyer's office first so we can get those divorce papers filed".

Because while he may be asking for an "open marriage" what I'd be hearing is "I think I can do better but I don't want to leave the safety of this relationship until I figure that out for sure".

So buh-bye! Have fun with that!

Yeah, something would just not sit right with me. Her asking in the first place is something that I think would constantly nag at me. I would always wonder what mader he ask that all of the sudden? Does she want someone else? Am I not satisfying her? I guess I could try to pretend that it wasn't about me, but in the end I don't think I could fool myself for ever..It wouldn't work for me personally.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM

164 posts, read 186,104 times
What did the five fingers say to the face?

*NOTE: I am kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships