U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 870,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight13 View Post
Some background on me:
Im 20 and in college for computer science
no kids
5'10
130 lbs
I dNt TyPe LyKe DiS
I have three pics up(two of my face and one full body shot-fully clothed)
and I filled out all of the profile components,
not sure what the problem is, I get a lot more attention IRL,
Quote:
No I dont have kids(I put that in the OP), I'm mixed black and Cuban, live in Orlando and no lol, I put English and Spanish as my language
Based on your description, for some reason your profile isn't coming up in an OKC search.

The only tall, 20 yr old black and cuban woman on OKC in Orlando is a weed lover, outwardly sexual in a ghetto way, and uses lots of profanity in her profile. If that's you I can understand the lack of responses based on the typical OKC crowd.

OkCupid | Yoitsdedie / 20 / F / Kissimmee, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,820,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Based on your description, for some reason your profile isn't coming up in an OKC search.

The only tall, 20 yr old black and cuban woman on OKC in Orlando is a weed lover, outwardly sexual in a ghetto way, and uses lots of profanity in her profile. If that's you I can understand the lack of responses based on the typical OKC crowd.

[URL="http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Yoitsdedie"]OkCupid | Yoitsdedie / 20 / F / Kissimmee, Florida[/URL]
Doesn't seem like the OP. If it is, then she's definitely lying about being 5'10" and 130 pounds.

Knight, honestly? You might not be getting responses because you're so young and you're still in school. You're not yet old enough to have a drink legally or, even if you don't drink, get into a place where alcohol is served, like to go out dancing.

I admit, I don't know much about those free sites, but do they have a lot of people your age, in school? I would think that most folks looking for a serious relationship would be at least in their mid-20s on there--which could be another strike against you. Right or wrong, they're going to assume that you have some growing to do before getting into a serious relationship. And they might want someone who has at least started on a career. Students aren't stable prospects for those who are out of school.

As for the debate about who gets the most messages, it would be attractive women with recent photos and well-written profiles, who do not sound like every other woman on there ("I like walks on the beach, I'm not looking for just sex..." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...) but who seem approachable and not full of themselves.

I can only speak for Match and what used to be Yahoo Personals (not sure if that's still around), but a few years ago, when I had profiles on those sites, I got just over 60 messages on the first night, which tapered off to about 8-10 a day after a couple of weeks. There were the usual form letters and "hi, how are you" one-line messages, but the majority of them were real messages indicating that the person read my profile. Yahoo had an option to let people IM you, and I got quite a few responses that way, too. Those tended to bring a higher ratio of undesirables (20-something dingbats wanting to "experience" an older woman), but they were blocked easily enough.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM

512 posts, read 466,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I can only speak for Match and what used to be Yahoo Personals (not sure if that's still around)
I think Yahoo Personals got absorbed by Match at some point.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM

267 posts, read 261,086 times
I've been on Okcupid and plenty of fish...on POF, I'll get 10-15 messages a day. Okcupid (with the exact same pictures and profile), I only get about 1-2 messages a WEEK. I have no problem initiating contact on either site, but for some reason, get very little response from guys on okcupid. I don't get it... I had actually shut down my POF profile because a guy I dated is still on there and I hated seeing him online, and thought I could get by with okcupid, but I think I have to start POF back up again!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM

4,298 posts, read 3,457,186 times
Do you contact your Enemies on OKCupid?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM

I contact just about anyone that I have interest in...Sometimes the enemies are that way for stupid questions I don't care about anyway And yes, I do more than say hi, I always try to relate to something in their profile or make a joke...works on POF but nada on OKC.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM

512 posts, read 466,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I contact just about anyone that I have interest in...Sometimes the enemies are that way for stupid questions I don't care about anyway And yes, I do more than say hi, I always try to relate to something in their profile or make a joke...works on POF but nada on OKC.
Wait a second, and you are a girl??

Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM

8,941 posts, read 7,307,831 times
I thought POF was sort of known as a sausage party anyway. If that's true then it would stand to reason that a woman would get a lot more messages on POF.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM

19,591 posts, read 11,755,876 times
Quote:
To be fair I only started it up last night,but it's been a slow start. Ive had 41 visitors but only two messages. I keep hearing about how girls usally get a bunch of messages on these sites but that has not been the case with me.
Some background on me:
Im 20 and in college for computer science
no kids
5'10
130 lbs
I dNt TyPe LyKe DiS
I have three pics up(two of my face and one full body shot-fully clothed)
and I filled out all of the profile components,
not sure what the problem is, I get a lot more attention IRL,

I would be happy that I got more attention in real life since it is real life and not some yutz on a computer screen.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
Wait a second, and you are a girl??
Yup, I'm a girl. Pretty, 30, independent and educated. Haven't had a single message in a week...will have to go back to the sausage party at POF cause OKC is killing my ego!

Or else go hang out at Starbucks all the time...I met a couple of guys that way when I was going for my 2nd degree...but that was close to a medical school and I don't live close to there anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships