Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned this before: for the past 10 years or so we have two types of marriages available here in AZ - a regular marriage and a covenant one. The latter requires pre-marital counseling and can't result in a no-fault divorce. I've been curious whether people opt for it, but haven't come across any info on the subject so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
I never had the thought of divorce when getting married so the state we married in is irrelevent.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I never had the thought of divorce when getting married so the state we married in is irrelevent.
The state a couple marries in doesn't matter anyway. It's the state they divorce in that counts and people move quite a bit here.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the real issue of community property is not as to real property, real estate, but with debt. she can take out credit in her name but you are 100% responsible for the debt. after the marriage the lawyers will "negotiate" a settlement on the debt. translation buddy u r guna pay her credit cards.
that is the real difference in community property, u r responsible for the community debt and all debt is community property incurred during the marriage. of late we are finding guys having their checks garnished for her prior student loans. surprise suprise. this is something new.
community property debt, its one of the few types of debt that u r 100% responsible and yet your consent is not required nor your written approval. sounds a bit like slavery doesnt it?
You used to be funny but now you're just bitter.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You used to be funny but now you're just bitter.
divorce is a very sensitive subject. i will strive to make it not too painful to talk about.
yes clowns that hit too close to home often get fired.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...320-442-1-.jpg

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-02-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Isn't that sort of planning for a divorce? To me it's like a prenup. The divorce is planned before the wedding plans are even finished
I don't think too many people get married planning for divorce but life happens. The reason I asked is because I got caught up watching some you tube videos on Estate planning and some how it went to divorce and then to community property states.

So after viewing some explanations on some things I just wondered if people thought about the difference before they got married? Knowing what I know now, I would consult an Attorney first and find out state laws.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why would you marry someone who was fiscally irresponsible or that you could not trust?
People sometimes become fiscally irresponsible over time and are not irresponsible at the time of marriage.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Did anyone consider what state they were married in pertaining to a state being a community property or common law state?

I was watching some You tube videos on the subject and I would thin it would be a major consideration if people knew the difference.
Wow, I never in a million years would have thought to consider this! And I still don't know, technically (I'm going to go look it up now b/c I'm curious)...we were married in Vegas, and I have no clue about NV marital laws.

Of course, we lived in NJ for three years and now we have lived here in CA for seven years and I believe both states are community property states...I think. I mean my first divorce happened in NJ but we had no property to split and I remember having that fact verified but it didn't pertain so much to us. CA I'm almost positive is a community property state b/c of the scene in Blind Date where Kim Basinger told the Asian woman in the ladies' room that by CA law she was entitled to 50%.

Now I really am curious!

Bottom line: no, obviously my vote is, I did not consider this before marrying.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
By the time a marriage gets to divorce court, it is about survival.
Oh please, divorce isn't always that much drama. I didn't try to rape my ex for anything and he didn't try to rape me for anything. Neither of us had a second thought about fighting for the newer car or any silly thing like that. What I really wanted was to be free. And he had no urge to beat me to a pulp financially.

Divorce can be ugly, certainly. But not every divorce is. It's just that the calm ones get so much less press (and so much less sympathy).

Are you worth all that much, Alanboy? Then don't marry and don't cohabitate. Problem averted.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh please, divorce isn't always that much drama. I didn't try to rape my ex for anything and he didn't try to rape me for anything. Neither of us had a second thought about fighting for the newer car or any silly thing like that. What I really wanted was to be free. And he had no urge to beat me to a pulp financially.

Divorce can be ugly, certainly. But not every divorce is. It's just that the calm ones get so much less press (and so much less sympathy).

Are you worth all that much, Alanboy? Then don't marry and don't cohabitate. Problem averted.
With divorce courts like they are today, I'm gonna do my best to position myself to survive since it is open season on men most times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships