Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
My first date with my husband consisted of a trip to Barnes and Noble, where we bought coffee at the cafe and talked for hours.
I've had dates like that too, and with the right person, they are wonderful. After all, getting to know each other is the best part of the dating experience.

However, not every date is going to be like that. Eventually, money is going to be spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Dating is expensive for both men and women.

In the beginning the man may be springing for expensive dinners, entertainment, gifts, etc. But the woman typically spends a lot to look good by buying new clothes, shoes, lingerie, getting manicures/pedis, getting her hair done, facials, etc.

That's just how it is.
This is absolute rubbish. None of the women I have dated in my lifetime have done anything special to look good on a date! I have not seen any new clothes, nor have I seen any new shoes specifically bought for the date nor have I seen any hair done specifically for me. Absolute and TOTAL rubbish.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is absolute rubbish. None of the women I have dated in my lifetime have done anything special to look good on a date! I have not seen any new clothes, nor have I seen any new shoes specifically bought for the date nor have I seen any hair done specifically for me. Absolute and TOTAL rubbish.
I both agree and disagree. Let's face it - there is more pressure on women to look good and more pressure on men to make money. So, although a woman might not buy a whole new outfit or get a whole new hairdo for each and every date - most women do spend more money than men to look good overall each and every day. My husband shaves his own head and even the guys that I know that get their haircut by a professional rarely spend more than $20 or $30. My hairdresser costs $150. And makeup can be really expensive. Especially if you wear it everyday. And I'm not talking about wearing so much make up that you look like a tramp - I mean just everyday makeup where you still have a sort of natural look. It's expensive. And all this is just the tip of the iceberg. Why do we spend all this money on our hair, our makeup, our skin products, our hair products, our clothes, our shoes, our underwear, etc.? To look good. For men and for ourselves. But honestly, part of me wonders if we'd really go through all this if men truly didn't care what we looked like.

So - while a woman might not have done all of this specifically for one date - rest assured she has still spent a lot of money to look good. However - it still doesn't really matter to me. Dating shouldn't be about money and who spends what and how much. Because honestly - if you met the right person and found the love of your life - would you really care if you had to pay for a few dates in order to be happy for the rest of your life? The whole point of dating is to find the person you want to be with - not to keep track of who spends what and how much.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 02-03-2012 at 10:54 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I both agree and disagree. Let's face it - there is more pressure on women to look good and more pressure on men to make money. So, although a woman might not buy a whole new outfit or get a whole new hairdo for each and every date - most women do spend more money than men to look good overall each and every day. My husband shaves his own head and even the guys that I know that get their haircut by a professional rarely spend more than $20 or $30. My hairdresser costs $150. And makeup can be really expensive. Especially if you wear it everyday. And I'm not talking about wearing so much make up that you look like a tramp - I mean just everyday makeup where you still have a sort of natural look. It's expensive. And all this is just the tip of the iceberg. Why do we spend all this money on our hair, our makeup, our skin products, our hair products, our clothes, our shoes, our underwear, etc.? To look good. For men and for ourselves. But honestly, part of me wonders if we'd really go through all this if men truly didn't care what we looked like.

So - while a woman might not have done all of this specifically for one date - rest assured she has still spent a lot of money to look good. However - it still doesn't really matter to me. Dating shouldn't be about money and who spends what and how much. Because honestly - if you met the right person and found the love of your life - would you really care if you had to pay for a few dates in order to be happy for the rest of your life? The whole point of dating is to find the person you want to be with - not to keep track of who spends what and how much.
^^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. Reps to you.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
None of the women I have dated in my lifetime have done anything special to look good on a date!

Well then, you are the exception to the rule.

BTW, how would you know what they did before going out with you? In general, no one tells their date that they just spent $80 to get their hair done, or just bought a new top to wear on the date.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default The COST of love and dating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It doesn't sound like anyone considers the benefits or expected benefits of dating. Implicitly, if you think dating has 0 expected benefits, why do you date and spend money? That's irrational: micro-economics 101.
To each his own. If you wish to consider a date owing you for what you paid for dinner, that is your business. I took a lady out to dinner for the companionship and enjoyment of talking and getting to know her better. I never once took a woman out and spent money on her for the purpose of getting her into bed. I found I could do that without bothering about spending money and buying food. For the guy that has that in mind, I'm not going to say "Good Luck", I'm going to say go "suck and egg", you don't deserve more...

Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
The things she spends on to make herself look good are for his benefit. If she's just staying home to do laundry, she's not going to buy a new outfit & shoes, and get her hair & nails done.

Likewise, if a man spends money on new clothes for a date (or anything, specifically for that date), that can be included in his dating expenses.

However, women are more likely than men to spend lots of money on fixing themselves up for a date. Most men expect a woman to look good when he takes her out. And looking good costs money.
i appreciate the insight. i always wondered how women rationalize these things.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default The COST of love and dating

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i appreciate the insight. i always wondered how women rationalize these things.
Would you call it 'rationalizing' these things? I'm sure most women put some effort into looking their best when they go out on a date. Have you ever picked up a date and after seeing what she was wearing, wish you weren't committed to this date? Most women care about how you feel and do their best to look good for you. Yes, it all costs money. Many women go the extra mile, it would be nice if more men realized and appreciated their efforts.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM

526 posts, read 955,326 times
Quote:
The things she spends on to make herself look good are for his benefit. If she's just staying home to do laundry, she's not going to buy a new outfit & shoes, and get her hair & nails done.

Likewise, if a man spends money on new clothes for a date (or anything, specifically for that date), that can be included in his dating expenses.

However, women are more likely than men to spend lots of money on fixing themselves up for a date. Most men expect a woman to look good when he takes her out. And looking good costs money.
Amen to that!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then WHY do women get all dolled up for a 'girls night out'!?!

I JUST read a post here about a woman who was wearing her 4 inch heels at home, with no one else around.

Women do it for themselves honey.... (We DO appreciate it)

-This from a guy who doesn't let women pay and LIKES to spoil them, but don't blow smoke up my ***. (Self edited)

It costs us ladies, and the well known fact is "The guy ALWAYS pays"
It is what it is. I took the $40K as the 'tried this one, tried that one, by the time your married you've spent $40 K.

I can see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships