Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,244 times

Advertisements

Same here ,and we are supposed to speak the same language ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:36 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
I have preferences...Some Nationalities have cultural mannerisms that do not appeal to me....Other nationalities have beliefs that do not appeal to me. Some nationalities have physical features that are unappealing to me. This is how I feel....Obviously I am not concerned with political correctness...I loathe that....Saying nationality does not matter is like saying race does not matter. BS !!!! It just kills me when I hear people say they don't see color or don't see nationality.....Give me a break are you blind? When will you pretenders stop !!!!!!
Spiritwalker
I hope you have thick skin because you are going to catch a lot of flack.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I think the further back we go, as far as our parents and grparents and so forth, the more they want us to say with the same 'type' of person as we are.

When I think of that, I think, what am I? (LOL) From my father, German, Indian, and something else...I can't even remember!

From my mother, Norweigen and Dutch. My blood flows with so much. My childrens, with even more.

In the area that my fathers family came from in the states, I know, I know, dont hate ME, I had nothing to do with it. There was slavery. Do I have African American? Possibility.

I raised my children NOT to see color, and they dont. When they were just a little younger, I would ask what a friend looked like, and they used words such as brown, tan, caramel, etc. Not black. They dont know balck. Black is a very dark color, the darkest color....not a persons color. For a white person, they use pinkish, peach, tan, etc.

Did I teach my kids to be naive? I dont know. I taught them that people are people. No matter what. We are all the same. They know that.

Am I attracted to other ethnicities? LOL. I am getting done with what I had. Swedish/Indian, blonde hair and greenish hazel eyes.

I'll get to the rest when I get to it. I love all people.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Do people grow up or wish to have a mate of a certain nationality?

Are there people of certain nationalities that some people feel that they must avoid?

Are there some nationality combinations that just "don't mix" well?

Are there unique nationalities & cultures that some people find exotic and therefore more desirable?

How important of a pre-requisite is it to be English speaking and is having a strong accent acceptable to most or not?

When I was younger, I thought that if a girl had an English accent it was very desirable. It was probably because of TV and the influence of the Beatles and the waves of British music.
Did all of those Elvis Presley movies with his southern type of accent affect females of the era the same way?
Living in Connecticut and so close to the other New England states, I remember how enamouring it was to meet someone from another nearby state with a totally different sounding American accent, (Mass. vs. N.Y.C. vs. Northern New England accents are sometimes true to stereotype, but sometimes they aren't).

My mother was from Italy via England, and my dad was from North Dakota. She spent enough years there to have what she described as being a bloody English-Italian accent, but her accent sounded classically Italian-American to me.

So do any of these factors really affect anyone's choice of dates or mates? I'd say probably not, at least it didn't for me, but then I'm also rather liberal. With the rise of conservatism these days, I'll bet that these factors affect other people in many different ways, so let us hear about it...
i love being an american. like no other country in the world. this country got cracking in 1492. its over 500 years old. everybody i have met in my 7 years living outside the country is clear on that, except unfortuately ,some that i met living here. they keep yearning to go somwheres else and get some identity, nationality, culture or something. rejecting your own rich culture, causes this phenomenon.
i don't need to go somewheres else to get culture and identity, i already had it.
been there done that.
stephen s
san diego

Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I always knew I was going to marry someone English, though how in NY was beyond me. Thursday my husband (English) and I will be married 15 years.

I'm an Anglophile so I am able to relate to a lot of his culture. He actually prefers to be an American now (citizen since 2002 I think).

I still find the most attractive accent something British/Scottish/Irish. I just love the way they sound.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I'm a caucasion Christian woman. I have dated men from India, Mexico, Chile, Cuba, Guyana, a man from France. I've dated Jewish men, African American men. And I have dated Anglo American men. I've never lived in areas with many Asians, so no Asian dates, but a long-time friend is Korean and my son's fiancee is Filipino. I enjoy being around other nationalities and ethnicities, makes things more interesting to have friends and neighbors that aren't like me.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:06 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
There are men of certain nationalities or heritage that I wouldn't choose to date. Saudi Arabian is one. If I were still interested in having children, a Saudi man would be off my list. Has anyone here read the book or seen the movie titled "Not without My Daughter"? Under Saudi Islamic law, the husband has the final say in everything. The wife can't even leave the country without his permission! For more information, look here:

International Parental Child Abduction Saudi Arabia (http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/country/country_517.html - broken link)

No matter how forward thinking and modern someone may be, they often go back to their roots later in life, especially when children are involved. Please don't throw stones at me; I think in this case I'm only being practical!

Other than this kind of situation, I'm open to any and all races, nationalities, etc. There are certain ones who attract me more than others, but that's just personal preference.

Last edited by SandyCo; 09-23-2007 at 01:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
We're talking about people and people where ever you go...are people...we're not talkign terrorists here....we're talking different cultures....and can you please define the couples your talking about who don't speak the same language?

I didn't speak the same language as my husband, but I mean that metaphorically....

there is nothing wrong with loving someone from a different world...geeze, what makes American's so better then anyone else?
PERSONALLY I think Americans ARE the best!
BUT - I meant that for ANYONE. If you're Asian, South American, etc...
You ASSUMED American...
Where are you from? I'm in Miami. I work with and have seen MANY people who's spouses barely speak English. To me that's not a "real" relationship!!! I mean, communication is KEY! How can you communicate if you don't speak the same language?!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:26 PM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
Nationality is not a big issue.But culture and language can make big difference.How can you effectively communicate with someone who doesn't speak your language?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:29 PM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
PERSONALLY I think Americans ARE the best!
You won't think Americans are the best if you are not American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships