Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 AM

461 posts, read 782,564 times

Advertisements

You only went out on one date. The way to really get to know him is through time and experience. Texting is only chit chat bs and will not give you much unless you're really shallow because what he says is not always true (not that he's lying but we all believe things about ourselves that need to be vetted). Again, time and your experience with him is the best way to forge a relationship.

Take a deep breath and chill until you see him again. Maybe send him a text or call if that's what you want to do until the next date but DO NOT bring up demands on your expectations of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesdowntownchick View Post
Texting is NOT for conversation, unless that's the only way you can have a conversation with someone. Grow up and communicate.

I am all grown up and I do not text unless my one friend is at martial arts practice with her grand daughter and cannot use the phone. I make real phone calls and write real letters and I am NOT the one asking such a question.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, you shouldn't.

He knows how to contact you, if he's interested in texting you he'll text you.

Sigh, how old are you??

Let it be.

Have some dignity for yourself as a woman.

You already told him he's not gonna get any until God knows when, so he's respecting your wishes and getting it on with someone who WILL give him some.

I know if a man told me what you said to him I would have told him "Yeah, well, good luck with that with SOMEONE ELSE, but I have NEEDS."

I think this is hysterical telling this girl to have some dignity for herself as a woman and following up with:

" know if a man told me what you said to him I would have told him "Yeah, well, good luck with that with SOMEONE ELSE, but I have NEEDS."[/quote]
"

Yup, that is pretty dignified.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:11 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
The best way to turn a guy off is to say anything along the lines of "can we talk about the status of our relationship?" Just let it happen. Don't analyze it. Read the book "He's Just Not That Into You." Then read it again to make sure it sinks in.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You're in your 30s and believe that texting is communicative writing. You've been on one date with this man and don't know how to approach him with your desire to exchange more texts with him in an effort to get to know him better. That's easy. Since you believe that texting is such a formidable method of communication and a means to furthering the relationship then just text him saying (and, I'm sorry, I don't know how to translate this into TextSpeak):

"I would really enjoy it if you would text with me much more than you're doing now. I realize that because of our respectively busy schedules and circumstances we aren't able to spend more "real" time together but I very much want to get to know you much better through texting, so how do you feel about that? After our one date we texted so many times a day but even just ten times would be good. Let me know."

There you go, easy!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I believe she's in her early 30s.
I'm in my 30's and have yet to run across a situation being handled in this manor. So it just screamed 15-18 yrs old.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM

391 posts, read 688,087 times
Texting is not conversation in my books.

Conversation is at least at the phone call level or
better yet face-to-face where you can read the
person much better.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineFlower View Post
I started kinda seeing this guy. We went out on one date and have another scheduled two Saturdays from now. BEFORE our first date, we texted often at night (we're both night owls) every 15 minutes or so until I went to bed.

Ever since our first date (this past Wednesday) he hasn't texted me at all (we text a little back and forth during a game we're both playing online, but no texts via the texting client). I'd like to have more conversation between us before we go out again, so I can get to know him a little more over the week. My question is, should I tell him that? I don't want him to feel pressured to text if he's too busy or just not interested in doing that.

To give a little background to my story, I'm still living with my ex-bf until I find a new place, but there's absolutely nothing going on with my ex and myself. In the interest of full disclosure, I told the guy I'm kinda seeing my situation and I'm wondering if that's the reason for less communication. I also told the new guy that I don't believe in doing anything sexual other than kissing before monogamy and he said he was ok with that, so I don't think he's just "hanging around" waiting for me to have sex, although who knows. He's in school studying to be a writer and he used to post on a messageboard (NOT C-D) that we both used to frequent, so I know he has ideas and is good at and enjoys writing.

What do you all think? Should I tell him I'd like to text more, or should I let it be?
Let it be. Here's why:

[URL="http://www.tipsonlifeandlove.com/love-and-relationships/texting-tweeting-and-tmi-5-tips-for-successfully-communicating-while-dating"]Texting, Tweeting, and TMI: 5 Tips for Successfully Communicating While Dating[/URL]

Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
How do you get to know someone more intimately via texting? That is really quite ridiculous in my opinion.

If you want to get to know this person, why not CALL him? Even e-mail would be better than texting.

You sound needy and if you ask that he text you more, that's exactly how you are going to come across. All he's going to hear is "please text me more because I need constant attention and reassurance that you are interested". That's a major turn-off.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM

458 posts, read 611,328 times
I also don't understand--why the need to ask? Simply communicate! I've not been single in a long time but just months away from waving good-bye to my 30's I can't imagine using texting as a means of "getting to know someone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships