Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times

Advertisements

What's the difference between "loving someone" and being "in love" with someone? And I'm talking about two people in a relationship, not family love. I'm interested in seeing how different people view this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
What's the difference between "loving someone" and being "in love" with someone? And I'm talking about two people in a relationship, not family love. I'm interested in seeing how different people view this.
"In love" is a feeling, Loving someone is more verb than feeling.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
If your being serious about "loving someone" then its simply without defining mutual love. For example, if I say I am "In love" with someone. I am saying they "love" me back. If I say I "love someone", it means I love them and whatever they think of me is irrelevant.

However, if you are talking in a "I love you man" kind of way, it could mean a whole set of different things.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
I think being "in" love is more euphoric or being overcome with emotion and/or a desire to be with that person. Kind of like when the relationship is new and blossoming and you're just smitten with the other person. Loving someone is more of a feeling of affection, fondness, protecting them.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times
To me, being "in love" with someone means I'm actively loving someone, right now, and that feeling is being reciprocated. Just loving someone to me means that it's someone who I had been in love with, but is no longer. I find myself describing certain girls in my past in this fashion. I will always "love" them and hold them in high regard, but I'm not "in love" with them. They are not in my life; I'm not thinking about them all of the time, and probably only comes up in my thoughts once in awhile, and I definitely don't expect anything from them. Just my personal definition, I'm sure others have different ones

Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Just a different chemical that is released in our brain. Same chemicals that are released during an orgasm are the ones that are released when you are "In Love". If you are just "Loving Someone" it is the same chemical that is released when you are hungry for a Cheesburger or perhaps an Ice Cream Sundae!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Sexual attraction. Period.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I've said this once before but I believe being IN LOVE with someone runs deeper then loving someone. There is something that they have touched deep within you that you can't shake. You find yourself wanting to be with them all the time, you tend to count the hours your apart. There is a feeling you get when that person reaches for your hand. Or they curl up next to you on the couch or bed. I guess one school of thought is that you still like like a teenager having your first crush.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've said this once before but I believe being IN LOVE with someone runs deeper then loving someone. There is something that they have touched deep within you that you can't shake. You find yourself wanting to be with them all the time, you tend to count the hours your apart. There is a feeling you get when that person reaches for your hand. Or they curl up next to you on the couch or bed. I guess one school of thought is that you still like like a teenager having your first crush.
Well clearly, no matter what any married couple says, that feeling dissipates after years of marriage. Even if it doesn't completely go away it still is not a constant like it probably was in the early stages of the relationship. So does that mean that married couples aren't "in love" any more they just simply love each other?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 AM

499 posts, read 891,860 times
i think

loving someone= love = sevmek in Turkish
being in love= love+ passion + excitement etc. =aşık olmak in Turkish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships