Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: What if a man wanted to test all of his children at birth for paternity as a general policy?
Yes 16 36.36%
No 23 52.27%
Other (explain) 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
There are a lot of women out there that aren't getting Jack for child support because their husband decided to cheat or leave.
Sounds like a personal problem. You will NEVER convince me that in a country where a non biological parent can be forced to pay a dime in the case of false paternity that a mother with legitimate paternity cannot get atleast some assistance in getting funds due. The system is set up to favor women. Custody, child support, public assistance et al. If they want to be lazy, so be it. If they leave (or get left by) their man and are too lazy to go after them pockets, that's their own fault.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Ok, so you would be willing to undergo a monthly/bi-monthly blood test to prove you don't have an STD from any potential down low activities on your part?
A blood test is physically intrusive; a DNA paternity test is not. But assuming a nonintrusive device were developed that could remotely determine something like HIV status, it would be entirely fine for partners to screen one another in that manner.

However, even that is not a parallel situation, since the information from that test pertains to the person being tested. A paternity test does not directly pertain to the mother, but rather, to the father and infant.

Quote:
My husband and I don't get to independently make medical decisions, financial decisions, academic decisions, professional decisions, or even paint color decisions without consulting the other.
Those types of things will typically affect the other partner in some way. A paternity test does not; it can be done without the woman even knowing it was conducted. It imposes no "burden" on anyone aside from the father who has to pay for it.

Quote:
If the father questions his paternity (and therefore needs a paternity test for proof) then he shouldn't act on behalf of the minor child as his/her adovcate in looking out for the best interest of that child.
A paternity test poses no medical or physical risk for the infant, so, those types of "best interest" concerns don't seem to apply.

The father's right to determine paternity is established by the legal/financial consequences of being the child's father - if paternity is presumed, the financial consequences can last for decades.

Quote:
So basically, be a sneak and a weasel...which makes him no better than a woman who may *possibly* be cheating.
I don't see the correlation here. The father is investigating his bilateral paternal relationship with the infant; not making any claims about the mother.

Like I noted before, some women are not going to be capable of understanding why a father might want to know for certain about the parentage of his children. These women will invariably interpret this desire as a malign, evil, mistrustful, misplaced thing, and will not be able to see it from any other point of view.

I would hope that some of the men who are silently reading through this thread will understand why I'd advise them not to bring up paternity testing at all - just have it done and don't mention it.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Sounds like a personal problem. You will NEVER convince me that in a country where a non biological parent can be forced to pay a dime in the case of false paternity that a mother with legitimate paternity cannot get atleast some assistance in getting funds due. The system is set up to favor women. Custody, child support, public assistance et al. If they want to be lazy, so be it. If they leave (or get left by) their man and are too lazy to go after them pockets, that's their own fault.
It's not my personal problem, my husband and I raise our 4 children together.

And the system has been changing. I know more moms that pay child support than I do those that receive child support. They do not have full custody either.

And for those women that do not recieve support, it's typically because she can't afford the lawyer fees, not because she is lazy. Or, because he gets paid under the table and she can't prove he has any kind of income.

Funny how you can see it one way, but can't consider the other side of the coin.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM

73 posts, read 156,520 times
what i don't understand is how women generally complain about the promiscuity double standard, yet are also against a man finding out if children are biologically his?

cake in your mouth and on your plate.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I would hope that some of the men who are silently reading through this thread will understand why I'd advise them not to bring up paternity testing at all - just have it done and don't mention it.
Or maybe, if he is sooooo concerned he's going to be duped by his own wife, he shouldn't be married and having children in the first place.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
BTW I don't do that DL and never will. Bad enough I've had girls accuse me of being gay.
Huh, I'm surprised. Any how, of course I don't think any of you are DL. The point is the charge based on the behavior of others; stranger, faceless others. It's nonsense.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Best advice ever. It's a dang cheek swab. All this fuss over a cheek swab!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It's not my personal problem, my husband and I raise our 4 children together.
Just wanted to mention that I am NOT trying to attack you personally. I disagree with damn near everything you say, but you sound like a decent person. All the persons used in my examples are in the hypothetical sense.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
A blood test is physically intrusive; a DNA paternity test is not. But assuming a nonintrusive device were developed that could remotely determine something like HIV status, it would be entirely fine for partners to screen one another in that manner.
Again, the point is to note a cockamamie charge. I don't hold my husband responsible for the incessant stupidity I come across on city data and he doesn't hold me responsible for whatever soap opera crap he runs across. That is at the core of the OP. Some women do this or that, therefore, given a certain level of emotional defect and paranoia, all are held responsible.

Quote:
Those types of things will typically affect the other partner in some way. A paternity test does not; it can be done without the woman even knowing it was conducted. It imposes no "burden" on anyone aside from the father who has to pay for it.
No one, be it my husband, mother, or Jesus is taking any child I grow in my body for any kind of test without my consent. It aint happening. I couldn't fathom it.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
A blood test is physically intrusive; a DNA paternity test is not.

In other words if STD and HIV tests could be done with a peice of hair covert testing would be done regularly on your partner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships