Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: What if a man wanted to test all of his children at birth for paternity as a general policy?
Yes 16 36.36%
No 23 52.27%
Other (explain) 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,056,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Just wanted to mention that I am NOT trying to attack you personally. I disagree with damn near everything you say, but you sound like a decent person. All the persons used in my examples are in the hypothetical sense.

No, I realized that and I assumed you meant in the general sense. I just wanted to point out that child support is not always neat and tidy and paid up as it's supposed to be, but women don't have any recourse if they can't afford a good lawyer.

My cousin gets squat for her 2 children and hasn't since he left her because he gets paid under the table. She has taken him to court 3 times. He won't sign off on paternity but won't support them either. One day decided that he was done being a husband and father and didn't come home to even pack his things.

The laws aren't always "anti-male" which is all I was trying to say in my last post. Women get screwed just as much as men do but it's not the big, dramatic story that it is for men because it's been "accepted" in society.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,174,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Best advice ever. It's a dang cheek swab. All this fuss over a cheek swab!!!
Why not pause about the whole idea to begin with. Why have children in the first place? Why start a family in a reality that's basically crappy?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Those types of things will typically affect the other partner in some way. A paternity test does not; it can be done without the woman even knowing it was conducted. It imposes no "burden" on anyone aside from the father who has to pay for it.

Except that he is not the father, or at least he is claiming that he is potentially not the father. Unless you go to court, how do you plan to get a DNA sample from a child that is not legally yours until it's proven with a DNA sample? Surely you wouldn't put your name on the birth certificate until you prove the child is yours, correct?

FAQ - How to Collect a DNA Test Sample
  1. What do I need to bring to the appointment?

2. All adult test participants must bring a valid government-issued ID—such as a driver’s license, state ID, military ID, or passport—to the sample collection appointment. For minors, a birth certificate, Social Security card, or hospital birth record is sufficient. In addition, the child’s legal custodian will have to sign a consent form allowing the minor to be tested.
Or is it okay to lie and say you are certain you are the father and sign the birth certificate even though you know you are going to contest the results?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Except that he is not the father, or at least he is claiming that he is potentially not the father. Unless you go to court, how do you plan to get a DNA sample from a child that is not legally yours until it's proven with a DNA sample? Surely you wouldn't put your name on the birth certificate until you prove the child is yours, correct?

2. All adult test participants must bring a valid government-issued ID—such as a driver’s license, state ID, military ID, or passport—to the sample collection appointment. For minors, a birth certificate, Social Security card, or hospital birth record is sufficient. In addition, the child’s legal custodian will have to sign a consent form allowing the minor to be tested.
Or is it okay to lie and say you are certain you are the father and sign the birth certificate even though you know you are going to contest the results?
Well done. He has no business taking the child anywhere.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,627,417 times
Quote:
Unless you go to court, how do you plan to get a DNA sample from a child that is not legally yours until it's proven with a DNA sample?
We're talking about presumptive fathers, most of whom will probably be living with the mother and child at the time of the test.

Quote:
That's the procedure for a test done at a testing center. I am talking about mail-in tests that can be purchased from drugstores or pharmacies.

Mail-in test kids generally either require a cheek swab or a hair strand, both of which take a couple seconds to gather.

I think one of the key problems here is that some women are looking at this entirely through a very particularly-designed idea of "trust," and what trust means, and what is involved with "trust."

The assumption is that a man who sends away a mail-in test must lack "trust" in the child's mother.

That's not necessarily the case. A lot of men simply see the test results as a reassuring confirmation of something they already "know," and now, with the test, they know it in the scientific sense, too.

That's something to celebrate.

But men should be aware that some women are really not capable of looking at things in this manner. They have a different idea of what "trust" means, and they won't be able to come to any other understanding any time soon.

That's why a mail-in kit is the best approach.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,532,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

Its actually possible for the father if married to do the testing without his wifes consent according to the information listed in the link for a minor.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Its actually possible for the father if married to do the testing without his wifes consent according to the information listed in the link for a minor.
To quote "Surely you wouldn't put your name on the birth certificate until you prove the child is yours, correct?"

Is there something missing there ^^^?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,101 times
it should be mandatory that a paternity test be done before signing of any birth certificate. And I always wonder, with all these stories of men having to support kids that don't belong to them, why any politician haven't brought up this issue.

That's why I for one don't care about marriage because id be damn if a woman going to use that guilt trip to trick me. I personally know more than one case of men supporting a child who is not biologically theirs. You dont want to do a paternity test? go.....yourself. If you dont wanna sign a prenup.....go .....yourself also.

men getting the crappy end of the stick with these issues happen all too often.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,532,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
To quote "Surely you wouldn't put your name on the birth certificate until you prove the child is yours, correct?"

Is there something missing there ^^^?
I posed a question earlier in the thread, the same poster stated with married couples its assumed hes the father and not necessary for him to sign.

My ex-husband never signed the birth certificate either.

Did you look at the link?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
We're talking about presumptive fathers, most of whom will probably be living with the mother and child at the time of the test.

That's the procedure for a test done at a testing center. I am talking about mail-in tests that can be purchased from drugstores or pharmacies.

Mail-in test kids generally either require a cheek swab or a hair strand, both of which take a couple seconds to gather.

I think one of the key problems here is that some women are looking at this entirely through a very particularly-designed idea of "trust," and what trust means, and what is involved with "trust."

The assumption is that a man who sends away a mail-in test must lack "trust" in the child's mother.

That's not necessarily the case. A lot of men simply see the test results as a reassuring confirmation of something they already "know," and now, with the test, they know it in the scientific sense, too.

That's something to celebrate.

But men should be aware that some women are really not capable of looking at things in this manner. They have a different idea of what "trust" means, and they won't be able to come to any other understanding any time soon.

That's why a mail-in kit is the best approach.
Well that my friend, is illegal. You either ARE the father and your name is on the birth certificate, or you aren't. If you aren't, you have no business doing a paternity test. You cannot speak for this child or represent this child.

Not to mention, if you do a home test, you can't use the results in court as they aren't considered a legal DNA test:

The DNA Testing Guide | Information about every DNA Test, Paternity Test, and DNA Fingerprinting

And when your wife finds out you did one and she leaves you, you best believe it has everything to do with trust.

Why would you need confirmation of something you already know?? I guess it's the male ego at work here. If I KNOW something, I don't need someone to confirm it for me, heck I wouldn't even consider checking on something that I already know is true.

THAT is where lack of trust comes in. If she tells you "the child is yours" and you can't trust that answer, it's LACK of trust. Call it what you want...confirmation, reassurance, peace of mind...in the end it's because you don't trust your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships