Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,148,526 times

Advertisements

There are no legal boundaries. If you've ever read up on celebrities, they all seem to follow the same basic formula: get married, live together happily for 1-8 years, and then face a bitter divorce. It seems that the relationships always drift apart, either because the other person changes, other people are involved, or there are issues with compatibility.

More recently, it seems common that many couples never get married and keep living together. Some even have kids.

The same thing happens to normal people but many are forced to live together even though they don't want to because of financial or legal issues. As a college classmate proposed, why should you have to go through that if you can just save money and live together forever or live alone?

However, I know very well that such a condition doesn't suit everybody. For one thing, marriage does present extra problems but it can be rewarding. You get a sense of unity. You also would be eligible for many things single and non-married couples don't.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:12 PM

837 posts, read 1,286,509 times
For men who earn good money there's no point, unless you're religious. Living together is just fine and you don't lose half your money when it ends.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,148,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
For men who earn good money there's no point, unless you're religious. Living together is just fine and you don't lose half your money when it ends.
That's another thing. Religious people were traditionally discouraged against divorcing, yet many religious people today have still divorced more and more in the past 150 years. Religious people were also asked many things and well, I guess it didn't really work. I saw a lot of Christians and Catholics still have children out of wedlock, shotguns, abortions, etc.

That's another issue but just because they're religious doesn't mean they follow the rules.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,167,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's been proven that married men live longer, healthier, happier lives.

So apparently single guys do have more to lose.

Why marriage is good for your health

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/ma...pagewanted=all

You know, it's one thing for you guys to not want to get married - just don't.

But quit spouting off things about marriage that are not true and have no basis in fact.

It just makes you look bad.
As Stan sort of mentioned in the other thread about kids, it really depends on how people are raised most of the time. People who come from challenging homes, homes that did not value and prioritize family and marriage, likely will follow suit. People coming from that space will end up valuing family. It's like that with most things.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,576,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
As Stan sort of mentioned in the other thread about kids, it really depends on how people are raised most of the time. People who come from challenging homes, homes that did not value and prioritize family and marriage, likely will follow suit. People coming from that space will end up valuing family. It's like that with most things.
Yep

Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,915,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's been proven that married men live longer, healthier, happier lives.

So apparently single guys do have more to lose.

Why marriage is good for your health

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/ma...pagewanted=all

You know, it's one thing for you guys to not want to get married - just don't.

But quit spouting off things about marriage that are not true and have no basis in fact.

It just makes you look bad.
That's because their wives probably make sure they get regular checkups, but a single guy who cares enough about himself can do that anyway. As far as spouting off things about marriage that are not true making me look bad, I disagree; it actually makes me seem quite wise.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
That's because their wives probably make sure they get regular checkups, but a single guy who cares enough about himself can do that anyway. As far as spouting off things about marriage that are not true making me look bad, I disagree; it actually makes me seem quite wise.
Besides, even if they live longer, who can prove they are happier? How do you prove every married man is happier? Considering all the troubles and the nagging they have to go through, it's not worth to live longer.

But I'm sure those stats fit well into the rose-tinted world.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,598,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
My opinion is based on observation. Nearly all of the guys I know are marrying because of family/social pressure, to make their parents proud and provide them with grandchildren, and because it just seems like the "right time to settle down", not because they just can't live without a mate at the age of 27-30.

And who cares about building wealth as a couple? Because everything legally gets split 50/50, a guy still only controls 50% of that $200k which puts him in the same place he was at as a single guy making $100k. Also, even if a guy making $100k+ marries a woman making $100k+ (which is rare since women often marry up, not down or equal), once she has children, she'll likely work less and be put on the "mommy track" which means her financial contribution won't be nearly as great as it was before; rarely does a woman continue to put in long hours in an attempt to make more money once she becomes a mother. Moreover, what good is it for a guy to have more money if he can't even use it to attract other women? The primary reason guys want money is so that they can buy certain things that will attract many women, but if a guy is already married, none of that matters anyway.

As I said before, I'm still waiting for some legitimately good reasons for a non-loserish guy to get married.
There's an easy answer to that, and it's because in general men make more money than their wives.

Marry a woman at your level or wealthier. If women made more money (ya know, those things all those irritating feminist are working towards, like equal pay) they would have more of a financial stake in marriage.

I currently know 2 women paying alimony to their ex husbands because they made more money. I also know a woman paying child support because she had to move out of state for a job and wanted the children to stay in their school.

So, again, find a woman that makes more, or is at your level then you can build wealth together equally.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,167,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Besides, even if they live longer, who can prove they are happier? How do you prove every married man is happier? Considering all the troubles and the nagging they have to go through, it's not worth to live longer.

But I'm sure those stats fit well into the rose-tinted world.
Actually, there are studies on this, not that you are interesting in being informed. I can say this at least for this board, the married people and folk with SO's on CD appear to be happier than the lot of you guys. You're really a miserable bunch.

" Nevertheless, psychologists have pointed to marriage as the single most reliable happiness indicator. Across nations and ethnic groups, people report greater happiness from marriage than career, community or money [source: Seligman]."
HowStuffWorks "Are married people happier than singles?"

What's interesting, tho, is that happy married people were happy single people. So, marriage doesn't help miserable people, but happy people tend to get married at greater rates and tend to stay married. I think that comes down to physiology.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 AM

The divorce rate agres with you. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.