Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
sigh - once again...

For those lacking faith and understanding of the value of marriage, no explanation or "point" to it will suffice.

For those who value marriage and understand all its power and desirability, no explanation is necessary.
Yeah, like I said, this contradicts your saying "to each his own". Implying that those who don't value legal marriage simply "don't understand" while those who do value it do understand shows an incredible bias. For all you know, there is no difference in understanding at all. Just a difference in preference of what one wants to believe.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yeah, like I said, this contradicts your saying "to each his own". Implying that those who don't value legal marriage simply "don't understand" while those who do value it do understand shows an incredible bias. For all you know, there is no difference in understanding at all. Just a difference in preference of what one wants to believe.
I have already said, and we all know, marriage is not for everyone

Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Don't worry because some people feel insulted that they are deluded into the idea marriage and try to make themselves feel better by indirectly insulting those who will opt against it. I know a couple of people who make claims to me saying that if I love this person then I should marry her. I guess Misery loves company.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Don't worry because some people feel insulted that they are deluded into the idea marriage and try to make themselves feel better by indirectly insulting those who will opt against it. I know a couple of people who make claims to me saying that if I love this person then I should marry her. I guess Misery loves company.

I don't care that you aren't married and don't want to be. It's no skin off my nose

Why does it bother you so much that some of us ARE happily married and see the value in it?

Of the two of us, I'm betting you are far more miserable in life than I am. Just sayin'...

Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM

382 posts, read 825,065 times
Children in single parent households are much more likely to live in poverty and be victims of abuse. That costs society a lot as a whole when we have to deal with the outcomes of this financially and otherwise. There is a reason why the institution of marriage exists and it is mainly for the protection and rearing of children. I don't care what people do if they don't have kids, however. I am not a religious person but the effect of children being born out of wedlock on society is not a good thing at all and it has little to do with morality, but rather on the effects I mentioned above.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I don't care that aren't married and don't want to be. It's no skin off my nose

Why does it bother you so much that some of us ARE happily married and see the value in it?

Of the two of us, I'm betting you are far more miserable in life than I am. Just sayin'...
Doesn't bother me at all. I'm not having a crack at one's understanding simply because they don't want to do something as an attempt to justify someone's belief.

Really you think I'm more miserable? Let's compare shall we? I make a considerable amount of money for someone my age and current status. I work in an office building (and most times at my home) and I don't have to be a hard labor slave working 60+ a week. I can afford anything I want and if there is something I want then I can get it without a problem. I do what I want and when I want and I'm not held back by any burdens or baggage. I own a beach house and I can go to it on a moment's notice and I could leave out of the country to go on a business trip or a vacation at any time.

The only problem I have is that my partner is wanting me to have more sex with her then I want to. Hmm.....I think I'm willing to hazard a guess that you are the more miserable. You are the one who tries to shall we say judge people who don't want to follow the common path and wish to blaze their own trail.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
I don't care that you aren't married and don't want to be. It's no skin off my nose

I guess its because those who lead a single happy life, dont talk to others with air of superiority, as if they have reached the ultimate peak of dating and happiness for all human kind. Some of the advice given from those who are married carries these types of attitudes , unfortunately. Just because someone is married it doesnt mean they got there, becasue they are succesful at dating. It just means that they equate success at dating with some outdated ritual, which very few take seriously anymore.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I guess its because those who lead a single happy life, dont talk to others with air of superiority, as if they have reached the ultimate peak of dating and happiness for all human kind. Some of the advice given from those who are married carries these types of attitudes , unfortunately. Just because someone is married it doesnt mean they got there, becasue they are succesful at dating. It just means that they equate success at dating with some outdated ritual, which very few take seriously anymore.
It would be entirely irrelevant if it wasn't for the backing that the state gives to marriages. While the legal benefits of marriage can be replicated it requires more paperwork and requires you to be proactive to make it so and other stuff while marriage just automatically gives them to you.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. I'm not having a crack at one's understanding simply because they don't want to do something as an attempt to justify someone's belief.

Really you think I'm more miserable? Let's compare shall we? I make a considerable amount of money for someone my age and current status. I work in an office building (and most times at my home) and I don't have to be a hard labor slave working 60+ a week. I can afford anything I want and if there is something I want then I can get it without a problem. I do what I want and when I want and I'm not held back by any burdens or baggage. I own a beach house and I can go to it on a moment's notice and I could leave out of the country to go on a business trip or a vacation at any time.

The only problem I have is that my partner is wanting me to have more sex with her then I want to. Hmm.....I think I'm willing to hazard a guess that you are the more miserable. You are the one who tries to shall we say judge people who don't want to follow the common path and wish to blaze their own trail.

My advice on this forum has consistently been - To thine ownself be true!

Our society does not need folks who are not marriage minded to continue to marry - that just creates more divorces, more angst, more societal issues.

But when marriages are successful they contribute TO our society - a win/win for everyone.

So instead of knocking it and saying there is "no point" to marriage, people should try harder not to be so absolutist and recognize that there are many valid points to good and successful marriages

THAT's all I've been trying to say

Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I guess its because those who lead a single happy life, dont talk to others with air of superiority, as if they have reached the ultimate peak of dating and happiness for all human kind.
Are you serious? That is a statement made on a daily basis here, coupled with condescension about how married people are miserable sheep who are trapped in a life of suffering while single people are having the time of their lives. Smug attitudes go both ways on this one. I'm not blind, and I don't think you are either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships