U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
651 posts, read 495,079 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think it's a way of showing a major and complete commitment to building a wonderful life with a wonderful person. It enters you into a partnership, an alliance.
On point. Couldn't have said it better myself^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I'm not religious, but I really don't think God put us on earth to spend our lives alone, humans are intended to have a life partner. The reasons why people have such a bad attitude towards marriage and why half of them end in divorce are because people don't want to put the work in that's required to have a relationship, we're a society of conditional loyalty and selfishness.

 
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 AM
 
559 posts, read 494,507 times
Reputation: 310
The point of marriage is to fulfill HER desires and dreams.

....To bring to life the stories she read in the book as a child

....To wear that white dress as most women find the most beautiful thing in the world.

..oh and don't forget to make sure she gets something is things go sour.

Most women believe that their time is more valuable than men, so if she gets out of the marriage with the same bag of clothes and that beat up toothbrush she came in with, she wasted all her time.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
15,490 posts, read 7,398,201 times
Reputation: 15284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
The point of marriage is to fulfill HER desires and dreams.

....To bring to life the stories she read in the book as a child

....To wear that white dress as most women find the most beautiful thing in the world.

..oh and don't forget to make sure she gets something is things go sour.

Most women believe that their time is more valuable than men, so if she gets out of the marriage with the same bag of clothes and that beat up toothbrush she came in with, she wasted all her time.
Actually, it was just as important to my husband. Being married, having a family - these things were important to both of us. That's why we got married. If you don't want these things - you don't have to do them. That's the beauty of free will! For us - being married, having a house, having a dog, having a baby - have been so completely rewarding and fulfilling. We couldn't ask for a better or happier life. And this goes for both of us - not just me. In fact, my husband is the one that had to push us into buying a house outside of the city and had to put his foot down about it being the right time to have a baby. If it were up to me, we'd still be living in our tiny studio apartment on the city and we wouldn't have a baby yet. I'm glad he put his foot down - I couldn't be happier now!

The thing is - marriage is just as important to many men as it is to women. 2 out of the 3 men that I had LTR with felt the same way. That is why I married one of them and the other is now happily married and has a little girl. If marriage is important to you - and you are willing to give it your all until death do you part - and you have found the right person - it can be the most wonderful thing in the world. If you don't see the point - don't do it. Nobody is forcing everyone to get married.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,335 posts, read 21,023,339 times
Reputation: 31950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
The point of marriage is to fulfill HER desires and dreams.

....To bring to life the stories she read in the book as a child

....To wear that white dress as most women find the most beautiful thing in the world.

..oh and don't forget to make sure she gets something is things go sour.

Most women believe that their time is more valuable than men, so if she gets out of the marriage with the same bag of clothes and that beat up toothbrush she came in with, she wasted all her time.
You read too many magazines or watch too much tv or something.
This is poppycock.

You know why women fantasize about being married (the ones that do, I mean)? Because that means they will have met the guy they want to spend their lives with. I'm guessing that won't be you.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: The Valley of the Sun
4,266 posts, read 2,522,390 times
Reputation: 2669
It's been said, but I gotta repeat some stuff I agree with.

IMO marriage is an out-of-date notion. That legal contract/piece of paper does not define a relationship, the individuals who make up the couple do that. Honestly, if a person NEEDS that piece of paper to prove someone is committed to them, I would question that relationship. Again, MO.

If someone wants to get married, please do. I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy. However, I will never get married again, and had I to do it over again, I would not have gotten married in the first place. Marriage is meaningless and useless to me.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,584 posts, read 4,218,686 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Thanks for saying it. It just isn't taught as something to aspire to anymore. sad.
Was shocked when my 21 year old kid married..It was in part a marriage of convenience...steady sex...and more money...and so she could stay in the country.. BACK in my day we married only for love.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
43,278 posts, read 51,772,813 times
Reputation: 35447
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you have to ask what the point is, you should never attempt to marry - you aren't cut out for what it involves and the commitment it takes.
At this point, I think this needs to be repeated.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Somewhere on the east coast
1,219 posts, read 1,163,913 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
That can be achieved without being married. Much less complicated too if the relationship doesn't work out. No nasty court battles, no alimony, no dividing up the assets, nada. Sin mierda.

Cohabitation is the way to go.
lol sin mierda is right! I do want to get married though, but I understand people who would rather cohabitate(sp?) ha ha I cant spell.
 
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM
 
418 posts, read 184,745 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It's been said, but I gotta repeat some stuff I agree with.

IMO marriage is an out-of-date notion. That legal contract/piece of paper does not define a relationship, the individuals who make up the couple do that. Honestly, if a person NEEDS that piece of paper to prove someone is committed to them, I would question that relationship. Again, MO.

If someone wants to get married, please do. I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy. However, I will never get married again, and had I to do it over again, I would not have gotten married in the first place. Marriage is meaningless and useless to me.

I would say this post is loaded with cynicism but from the posts I'm reading from married people, so many people seem to relate!

Married people. did you not expect that there would be times of conflict and disagreement, things to actually work thru?

Single people (who desire to be married) are you listening?
 
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
15,490 posts, read 7,398,201 times
Reputation: 15284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
I would say this post is loaded with cynicism but from the posts I'm reading from married people, so many people seem to relate!

Married people. did you not expect that there would be times of conflict and disagreement, things to actually work thru?

Single people (who desire to be married) are you listening?
I'm not sure what you are trying to say... Of course I knew there would be conflicts and disagreements. We had conflicts and disagreements while we were dating. But we are committed to each other and we are committed to working through anything life throws at us. I don't know - I think my life is so much better, happier, and easier with my husband at my side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top