Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

If you have to ask what the point is, you should never attempt to marry - you aren't cut out for what it involves and the commitment it takes.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
Well...

- supposed to represent a commitment on both parties to spend
their lives together and work out their issues as partners

- neither party should have had sex prior to marriage so there is
none of the "measuring up to prior partners" issues

Ok, you can all start laughing now.
hmmm.....what makes you think just because people have had prior sexual experiences that their spouse will have issues "measuring up"?

Only someone very immature and insecure would think that way.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM

391 posts, read 687,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hmmm.....what makes you think just because people have had prior sexual experiences that their spouse will have issues "measuring up"?

Only someone very immature and insecure would think that way.
That we agree on.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 42,026 times
for the kids
as much as our relativistic and hedonistic society likes to tell you that marriage is just about love
it isnt
the above fact largely accounts for divorce rate in america as well

Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
That can be achieved without being married. Much less complicated too if the relationship doesn't work out. No nasty court battles, no alimony, no dividing up the assets, nada. Sin mierda.

Cohabitation is the way to go.
You're kidding right? When cohabiting non-married couples separate, they still have to divide up assets and it can be just as bitter. Except now there's no legal documents to protect either partner.

Quote:
Sorry, but that's simply anecdotal, especially in a society with a 50% rate of divorce. Perhaps YOUR marriage is a happy one and if so then congrats all the way. But let's not paint with too broad a brush here, alright?
The divorce rate is closer to 1/3, so no need to cast such a gloomy outlook on marriage.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Having read several threads, I think I've pretty much gaged the prevailing attitude towards marriage in this forum and I'm going to therefore assume with at least half???....a third???....of the human population

Ok, forget that. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but my bat is in hand.....

What say you as to the point/purpose of marriage? (If it's not due to any "religious conviction.") Based upon the opinions I'm reading it's best a lot of people keep their misery..........to themselves??
First off, I don't use this or any forum as a yardstick to guage anything as important as the decision to marry or not. Two, if you have to ask (the bolded), none. There is no point to it if you have to ask. Save it for people who don't have to ask, who are sure it's what they want. To them, there's a point and that's all they need to know.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
You're kidding right? When cohabiting non-married couples separate, they still have to divide up assets and it can be just as bitter. Except now there's no legal documents to protect either partner.

The divorce rate is closer to 1/3, so no need to cast such a gloomy outlook on marriage.
No I am not kidding. In a cohabitation scenario, she takes her stuff and I take my stuff. No her taking anything of mine and vice-versa. See, marriage is a LEGAL contract as well which means in a divorce things are not so cut and dry. The courts get to decide and it usually ain't too purty for those of the male persuasion. Don't believe it? Ask those men who've been taken to the cleaners by their wives.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
I know this crazy lady who I think lives on the street. Her where-a-bouts are unknown. We only pick her up in an undisclosed location when she needs a ride.

Anyways~my point is this lady wanted to get married so bad. She had the notion that "marriage" would fix all her problems.

One day while giving her a ride she made the comment, "If I just had a husband with a paycheck everything would be great."

My thoughts were, "If you were medicated and were happy from the get~go you would be great!"

Her idea...which is common with many, is that marriage is the antidote to unhappiness. So when they do get married they find that all their hopes and dreams were dashed to peices and now they are recentful to their spouse for not having fulfilled their expectations.

Once you spend years knowing yourself then you will be able to offer it to others in a positive light. You cannot make up a character and then present it to someone like, "You like this type of person right?? Here I am...I am just like that!!" That too is deceitful and false. Once you mate finds out you are not like that person you presented they are going to feel tricked and lied to.

It's best you know yourself and present it as such. Don't make up a personality or character that will appeal to someone. That is not you and you know it. If you don't like something then make it known. Be honest and upfront with who you are. That will be your best shot at a successful relationship!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Her idea...which is common with many, is that marriage is the antidote to unhappiness.
And those people have no business getting married. Absolutely clueless.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,344 times
Quote:
No I am not kidding. In a cohabitation scenario, she takes her stuff and I take my stuff. No her taking anything of mine and vice-versa. See, marriage is a LEGAL contract as well which means in a divorce things are not so cut and dry. The courts get to decide and it usually ain't too purty for those of the male persuasion. Don't believe it? Ask those men who've been taken to the cleaners by their wives.
To quote you: Sorry, but that's simply anecdotal.

Just because in your scenario, you may take your individual things only...doesn't mean that applies for the many non-married couples who fight over assets and still end up going to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships