Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times

Advertisements

Everyone in life gets rejected at one point or another. Even incredibly privileged people like Prince William or Brad Pitt have been rejected on various levels many times in their lives. It's unavoidable in life. Once you accept that, deal with it as every other reasonably mature adult learns to do. What is so agonizing about asking someone out and they decline? Even if they are rude as hell about it, it's that earth-shattering to you?

Put it into perspective. What is worse from the following two scenarios?

1. You approach someone you have a crush on. You ask them to dinner. They look at you with contempt and snarl, "I wouldn't date you if you were the last person on earth. You disgust me!"

2. You find a black mole on your back and go to the Dr. He says, "You have malignant melanoma and it's advanced. You have 4 weeks to live. Get your affairs in order."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Are we in high school?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Everyone in life gets rejected at one point or another. Even incredibly privileged people like Prince William or Brad Pitt have been rejected on various levels many times in their lives. It's unavoidable in life. Once you accept that, deal with it as every other reasonably mature adult learns to do. What is so agonizing about asking someone out and they decline? Even if they are rude as hell about it, it's that earth-shattering to you?

Put it into perspective. What is worse from the following two scenarios?

1. You approach someone you have a crush on. You ask them to dinner. They look at you with contempt and snarl, "I wouldn't date you if you were the last person on earth. You disgust me!"

2. You find a black mole on your back and go to the Dr. He says, "You have malignant melanoma and it's advanced. You have 4 weeks to live. Get your affairs in order."
Rejection is a blow to your ego. You might recover after a few days, a few months. If you're mentally sane, you should have recovered within a year.

Letting fear of rejection stop you from even TRYING means you will be lonely for the rest of your life and die lonely.

Which is the more rational choice?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2boutside View Post
How does one get over a crush?
Get laid somewhere else

Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
The good news: You can get over a crush
the bad news: It takes a little time. I've had three crushes in two years. First they were enjoyable, then I became annoyed that my affection was not reciprocated, and finally my ego said, "Who needs this, or him? Any man would be blessed to to have an awesome woman like me...so... Next!"

Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
The older you get, the more you get used to it. You learn to just shrug and go on with life.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
The older you get, the more you get used to it. You learn to just shrug and go on with life.
And the less ice cream you eat?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2boutside View Post
I developed an incredible crush on a co-worker and for reasons I can not go into, I know there is no chance of me ever being able to act upon it and approach her. I feel for starters she is way above me in her league. It is difficult enough at work to keep at my job and its responsibilities already. I get very few chances to see her during the day. Usually it is at the employee lounge or if we cross paths in the back office. There is too much close-knittedness to our company and it would be the death spiral for me if others got wind of my interest in her and embarked upon the gossip route. My heart aches but I know intellectually I have to let this go. I have gotten as crazy as to look at her facebook page and I feel like I am snooping into her life and that is not how I want to be. I would just want her to know I think she is most beautiful women I have ever seen but there is no way of doing that without coming across as a creep. How does one get over a crush?

Funny thing is, you haven't even given her a chance to reject you!

Guess she doesn't need to, you've already done it for yourself

Why are some of you guys your own worst enemies??

Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
Never get involved with co-workers, too much can and will go wrong.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Let's not delude ourselves or this guy.

If he says that he's probably reading her signals wrong, and is sure she's not interested, chances are she's really not interested.

I don't really know how people develop such strong interest in people who they don't really know and/or haven't demonstrated any reciprocal interest. That sounds very grade schoolish to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships