Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
This is patently absurd. The level of service is exponentially better at a fine dining establishment vs. some place like IHOP. Either you've never actually been to a nice restaurant or you're lying.
No. Per Se in NYC. 300 bucks per fixed price course. Great food. But there's better service in local restaurants. Let's stop spreading this fine dining myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I'm comparing a $100 to a $200 meal at the exact same fine dining restaurant.
Well as a matter of fact there is a great deal more effort required in a meal that is soup to nuts vs just an entree or serving many people vs a few.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM

664 posts, read 773,642 times
How the hell did this turn into the tip thread? People, how hard is it to use Google? As far as I'm concerned, tips are for exceptional service only. Read the law. Straight from the federal government.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Tips (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm - broken link)

NO server will ever go home without AT LEAST minimum wage per hour, even if absolutely ZERO people leave tips. The employer is REQUIRED BY LAW to make up the difference if tips do not meet minimum wages. REQUIRED BY LAW. Not leaving 2 dollars at Dennys isn't going to make a difference to that server, s/he will still receive AT LEAST minimum wage.

Quote:
A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Doesn't matter...at the end my choice not to tip what you think you've earned will leave you starving. BTW if I suspect any foul play, not only will I call the Department of Health with your full name and the establishment's name...You'll be lucky to get a dime. So in the end, you still LOSE.
Well I guess there is gonna be a decent portion of the population that thinks you are a tightwad scumbag. I hope you aren't looking to date.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well I guess there is gonna be a decent portion of the population that thinks you are a tightwad scumbag. I hope you aren't looking to date.
wow..I really must have picked a nerve with you lol. Honestly, I find it satisfying that you'll find it hard to sleep at night based on what I've said

Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I would respectfully request that those of arguing whether to tip or not take that to your own thread.
You don't think it speaks directly to the OP's date's datability? I sure do.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
No. Per Se in NYC. 300 bucks per fixed price course. Great food. But there's better service in local restaurants. Let's stop spreading this fine dining myth.
I guess it depends on the local restaurants. Ime with fine dining there is a team assigned to the table. The person that waters you, the waiter, the food runners, the wine steward (if needed), sometimes drink runners, and the bussers. At a regular restaurant you have one person doing it all. At dives that person is also making the salad and getting the coke/coffe. The service isn't comparable.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I guess it depends on the local restaurants. Ime with fine dining there is a team assigned to the table. The person that waters you, the waiter, the food runners, the wine steward (if needed), sometimes drink runners, and the bussers. At a regular restaurant you have one person doing it all. At dives that person is also making the salad and getting the coke/coffe. The service isn't comparable.
I have found dates more successful in low-key restaurants. I didn't have country clubbers taking note of every other table in the vicinity. Fine dining is for matured families, ones to go to with kids, in-laws etc., little romantic value in these places. Comes across as trying too much.

I went to Per Se with my brother. We had a blast, coz he was my brother and we joked and partied like little kids. No way I was gonna waste such a huge occasion and experience with a woman I barely know.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I have found dates more successful in low-key restaurants. I didn't have country clubbers taking note of every other table in the vicinity. Fine dining is for matured families, ones to go to with kids, in-laws etc., little romantic value in these places. Comes across as trying too much.

I went to Per Se with my brother. We had a blast, coz he was my brother and we joked and partied like little kids. No way I was gonna waste such a huge occasion and experience with a woman I barely know.
I will agree on that. Frankly, I think the whole dinner and a movie dating scene is pretty lame, but that's what people like.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
I went on a date with a man I met on match. He talked the whole time, which I was going to chalk up to nerves, he's a federal officer, divorced with kids. I have three rules when I date, no kids, no cops and no ex wives. Well, needless to say, he broke all the rules. However, when emailing back and forth we seemed to click, and I was really open to the idea. Also, he said several times what good money he makes.

Dinner was nice, conversation flowed just fine... when the waitress came to ask whether or not everything was on one bill, he looks at me? I then told her politely, it would be two checks. The waitress could tell we were on a first date, and she kept it on one piece of paper, but two different totals. She also set it right in front of him. He never once offered. I put out my 20.00 for the meal, and left a very nice tip too. He left 1.00 for a tip.
This has never happened to me before, although once in relationships I turn into the sugar Mama.

Is this a deal breaker? Is this just a sign of what's to come? I wouldn't have made him pay, but it's the OFFER that would have been nice...
I don't understand why you are so pissed off that he didn't pay for your meal? What is the reason for you being mad about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships