Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

143 posts, read 192,219 times

Advertisements

The fact that he only tipped $1 would have been a dealbreaker for me. Seriously. Everyone who doesn't live under a rock knows that waitstaff make their living off of tips. I couldn't respect someone who did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

460 posts, read 669,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Maybe after divorce he learned what is yours is yours and what is mine is mine. I pay for my stuff you pay for your stuff don't expect me to take care of you and having to do it every time we go out. Your paying your FAIR SHARE you eat the dinner and in doing so you said the waitress 2 different totals...showed you are not interested in his WALLET. Women are so crazy when it comes to money that they think their owed something when you both AGREED to have dinner. You could have just stayed home if you were looking for "free meal"
This thread is crazy!

Maybe I'm wrong on this since I've been out of the dating scene for a LONG time and was barely in it to begin with since I was still in HS. Anyway, I would never go out with a guy to get a "free meal." It wouldn't be worth all the awkwardness that goes along with a potentially bad date. I'm not the best at "small talk." I love to talk to people I know well but am a bit reserved with new people. Dealing with that whole scene is not worth a $20-50 meal. Like others have said, I'd rather meet for coffee and dessert, a game of pool with drinks or something. Do women really go out with guys to get a "free meal?"

Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,769,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
I went on a date with a man I met on match. He talked the whole time, which I was going to chalk up to nerves, he's a federal officer, divorced with kids. I have three rules when I date, no kids, no cops and no ex wives. Well, needless to say, he broke all the rules. However, when emailing back and forth we seemed to click, and I was really open to the idea. Also, he said several times what good money he makes.

Dinner was nice, conversation flowed just fine... when the waitress came to ask whether or not everything was on one bill, he looks at me? I then told her politely, it would be two checks. The waitress could tell we were on a first date, and she kept it on one piece of paper, but two different totals. She also set it right in front of him. He never once offered. I put out my 20.00 for the meal, and left a very nice tip too. He left 1.00 for a tip.
This has never happened to me before, although once in relationships I turn into the sugar Mama.

Is this a deal breaker? Is this just a sign of what's to come? I wouldn't have made him pay, but it's the OFFER that would have been nice...
He might be a total finacial cripple - but he might be the catch of a life time...if so - you might have to pay the price and retrain this guy to make money....or he might be rich and cheap - and money will always be more important to him than YOU..which is also a loser...If you are a woman of means - don't worry about it - if you are poor and he is about to ride on your back as if you were a beast of burden - shake him off.. Give it time and you will find out...."sugar mamma" hugh? SO how much yah got? LOL>

Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM

733 posts, read 1,659,937 times
Personally, I would not continue to date someone who doesn't offer to pay on a first date. You deserve to be pampered.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM

733 posts, read 1,659,937 times
With that said, I've never had a bad date that involves sharing a meal, I've also never been on a date when the date does not offer to pay. So I might be completely biased.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,279,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
You deserve to be pampered.
Gag me! Entitled much?? (Your meeting for someone for the first time and its his job to pamper you) I'm assuming he doesn't deserve to be pampered? Or wait..I'm sure just being graced with your (her) presence is enough pampering in itself

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM

42 posts, read 90,607 times
Let me just clarify, since I've been getting lovely private messages. I do not need a free meal. Car is paid for, house is paid for, 1/2 my money is donated to charity. I've been fortunate, and I'm definitely far from high maintenance. Heck, I'm going back to college for a second degree in either teaching or nursing, money is not my motivation. This is about dating practices and getting other peoples opinions. I'm not looking for a sugar daddy. I don't need one. Oh, and if I wanted a free meal, I would have suggested Ruth's Chris

Last edited by oalquimista; 02-16-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,279,285 times
Just like the outdated ideal that women should first and foremost be mothers and wives and should have dinner on the table by the time her husband got home from work...men HAVING to pay for the first date is also outdated.

If I want to be treated as an equal (newer gender role) and am no longer expected to adhere to the above I am sure as hell not going to hold a man accountable for something equally as outdated.

And I am sure the same women who expect this first date scenario, would also be up in arms if the man said to her "the women's place is in the home".

Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,988,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Just like the outdated ideal that women should first and foremost be mothers and wives and should have dinner on the table by the time her husband got home from work...men HAVING to pay for the first date is also outdated.

If I want to be treated as an equal (newer gender role) and am no longer expected to adhere to the above I am sure as hell not going to hold a man accountable for something equally as outdated.

And I am sure the same women who expect this first date scenario, would also be up in arms if the man said to her "the women's place is in the home".
Are you a woman?

No, seriously, are you??

Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,455,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
Personally, I would not continue to date someone who doesn't offer to pay on a first date.

You deserve to be pampered.

Deserving pampering on the first date sounds like you want to be impressed and rather high maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships