U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: 'Man-gagement' Rings: Yay or Nay?
I am a woman and I would buy him a 'man-gagement' ring. 2 3.51%
I am a man and I would wear a 'man-gagement' ring. 8 14.04%
I am a woman and I would NOT get him a 'man-gagement' ring. 22 38.60%
I am a man and I would NOT wear a 'man-gagement' ring. 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
 
4,783 posts, read 2,320,162 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Yes! A new big flat screen TV and an old-school action movie and a six pack.
When I was studying in the USA I did hear about a case where a guy in my group proposed with ring an all. She came back later with a big screen TV as an engagement gift, or whatever you want to call it, for him. It's not common for women to spend as much as that for a man (before getting married) but hey, there are exceptions .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,826 posts, read 8,592,908 times
Reputation: 17287
Where do you get your information that women are not generous with the men they date? Many of the women on this forum are constantly proving you wrong. You're very cryptic about your actual dating experience, and it sounds like you get a lot of your information from askmen.com and not actual people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
 
4,783 posts, read 2,320,162 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Where do you get your information that women are not generous with the men they date? Many of the women on this forum are constantly proving you wrong
And those women are married or at least living in the guy's place. How would you feel if a guy gave you a gift with your money? The woman I mentioned was not married to the guy nor living together. She decided to buy him that big TV as an engagement gift or engagement appreciation, whatever it is called. As it has been talked about before, women are not known to be the spenders in a relationship. Not saying it's right or wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,826 posts, read 8,592,908 times
Reputation: 17287
Quote:
As it has been talked about before, women are not known to be the spenders in a relationship. Not saying it's right or wrong.
But you're the only one saying this. Most women spend money and time and effort in relationship. That really is how it is. For someone who's not an American and doesn't have much experience dating in this country, it's insulting for you to claim to be an expert. And I'm done with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:06 AM
 
4,783 posts, read 2,320,162 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But you're the only one saying this. Most women spend money and time and effort in relationship. That really is how it is. For someone who's not an American and doesn't have much experience dating in this country, it's insulting for you to claim to be an expert. And I'm done with this.
I have lived in the USA enough time and visit frequently to have some experience with american women. I am not saying they are bad, just different. Come on, culture does play a role in these things and other things in life.

The women who have mentioned to spend more than a few bucks on a man are either married or living in the guy's place. I repeat, the one I mentioned was NOT married and was NOT living in his place. She dared herself to spend all that money on him as an engagement gift/appreciation which is what we are talking about in this thread and men receiving or not an engagement ring/gift, which most don't get anything at all but a "yes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
10,303 posts, read 9,670,248 times
Reputation: 10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I have lived in the USA enough time and visit frequently to have some experience with american women. I am not saying they are bad, just different. Come on, culture does play a role in these things and other things in life.

The women who have mentioned to spend more than a few bucks on a man are either married or living in the guy's place. I repeat, the one I mentioned was NOT married and was NOT living in his place. She dared herself to spend all that money on him as an engagement gift/appreciation which is what we are talking about in this thread and men receiving or not an engagement ring/gift, which most don't get anything at all but a "yes".
Write this one down for your "exceptions". When I was dating my ex, I bought him groceries almost every week. I also bought him expensive (at the time for me) gifts. We were not living together. I know plenty women who spend money on their bfs. I wish you would get over this fantasy you have that American women dont work or have their own money. Why would you assume that if a woman buys somthing for her man it is bought with his money.

As for the question. No I would not buy a man an egagement ring nor would I want him to buy me one. I think engagement rings are a pointless expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
 
4,783 posts, read 2,320,162 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Write this one down for your "exceptions". When I was dating my ex, I bought him groceries almost every week. I also bought him expensive (at the time for me) gifts. We were not living together. I know plenty women who spend money on their bfs. I wish you would get over this fantasy you have that American women dont work or have their own money
Of course they do exist. There is another American woman I know who surprised her boyfriend with a round trip ticket to Hawaii just so he could go and enjoy. It was not valentineís or his birthday, just a random gift. She was not her wife or long time live-in girlfriend either. Exceptions do exist, heck, there are some Asian girls out there who expect the man to take care of everything. The women who have said they spend a few bucks on their man, I have asked them and they have told me it is their husband or the guy they moved in with. Itís nice you did that for your man and for those who donít do that, who cares, thatís how they like it, right?

Quote:
Why would you assume that if a woman buys somthing for her man it is bought with his money
Because the women that have said around here who have spent a few bucks on their guy happen to be married for years already, moved in with their boyfriend, etc.

Quote:
As for the question. No I would not buy a man an egagement ring nor would I want him to buy me one. I think engagement rings are a pointless expense.
Hey, I guess we can agree on this one. The girl I have been seeing for more than a year now does not want one, she asked if I wanted one and same thing, no thanks. If some couples want to do it, why not, but as for us, we find it a pointless expense as well to have all that money wrapped on our fingers when we could use it for so many things. To each, their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
10,303 posts, read 9,670,248 times
Reputation: 10063
Quote:
Because the women that have said around here who have spent a few bucks on their guy happen to be married for years already, moved in with their boyfriend, etc.
And. Just because a woman is married does not in anyway mean she does not work and earn an equal paycheck. Again you are assuming attached women or all women depend on a man's income. There is no logic to this.
As far as exceptions that you keep spewing I can turn that logic around and say that men expect women to pay their way and do everything for them, of course there are a few exceptions. I know this because I know a man that does work and pay for dates and pay all his family bills. Again he is an exception because I know men that dont work and expect thier girlfriends and wifes to pay their way so all men demand that women pay for them, there are some exceptions of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
 
4,783 posts, read 2,320,162 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And. Just because a woman is married does not in anyway mean she does not work and earn an equal paycheck. Again you are assuming attached women or all women depend on a man's income. There is no logic to this.
Nope, I am assuming that when they are single they, for some reason or the other, do not spend money on men until they are sharing a roof or a bank account and so on. Why single women don’t spend money on men until they are married, who knows.

Quote:
I know this because I know a man that does work and pay for dates and pay all his family bills
Which seems to be normal. Doesn’t surprise me.

Quote:
Again he is an exception because I know men that dont work and expect thier girlfriends and wifes to pay their way so all men demand that women pay for them, there are some exceptions of course.
I bet you didn’t even believe what you just posted. Tell me how many women out there would be willing to open their wallet for a man they are dating, come on. You see many women seeing men as losers, not real men, scrubs, misfits, and so on if they don’t pay or dare themselves to accept a woman’s offer to split the tip. Remember, a woman who has a man paying for her expenses is normal. Have a woman doing that for a man and it is not quite as acceptable. There is a thread or two around now about this. Look at all the women who find it unnaceptable for a man not to pay for them. The only woman who is against this seems to be Ulyses. Of course, no female poster argues with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
 
1,335 posts, read 675,728 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Tell me how many women out there would be willing to open their wallet for a man they are dating, come on.
people have given you many, MANY examples. You ignore every single one, in this never ending straw man argument, you've created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top