Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
You realize that about 30 is the average age of first marriage for many countries, right?

Especially for men, who tend to marry later than women.

That's about the average age for Canada (The US, though it obviously varies by state, as a whole average, has only maybe a couple years younger at that).

It is also around that age of first marriage for many European or even Asian countries.
We're not them though... so that's irrelevant.

But still, that's ridiculous. Why do they marry so late? What's their wait?

I found this. The average age at first marriage by state. People in Utah marry the youngest. Men at 23.9 years of age, women at 21.9. People in Massachusetts marry the latest. Men, at 29.1 and woman at 27.4.
http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data...versions/1.txt

Last edited by 90sman; 02-16-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,408,394 times
Oh yeah... forgot to mention that I agree with all those who said getting married in your 20's is too young. We change SO MUCH in our 20's...

All of my close friends who got married in their 20's are divorced except one. And let me say, I was a bridesmaid in a lot of weddings....

It is really sad.

Time to pull up your big boy pants and get out there. You can do it!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,788,023 times
I know a guy who married at 37. Found a divorced woman online. They have 3 kids and are pretty happy 10+ yrs later.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,972,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
.........Is that part of life over for someone in this situation? I mean no more dating..and just living life solo until death?...........
how about saving this self pitying nonsense for when you are 70? In the meantime get out there and start playing.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,729,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
What were you doing during your 20s that you couldn't find a wife anyway?
Not everyone has such an easy time attracting a mate. I didn't go on a single date throughout all of my twenties, and it wasn't that I didn't try. (Actually, during the second half of my twenties I didn't try, because I had given up.)

Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,725,947 times
yes basically hopeless at this point.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 AM

541 posts, read 940,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I was just wondering what anyone's opinon would be of a male that is almost 30 years old who is not married and single. Is it still possible to find someone and get married at this age. I almost feel like I missed my chances in my 20's. Where did the time go? Thing is I'm not very aggressive in trying to find a partner. I would like to find someone, but feel like a lot of time has passed and most people in my age range from say 25-30 are married or very close to it. It's almost like there are no young girls that are single anymore. It's tough to find someone that fits my criteria and is still single.

Should I feel bad about this at this point in my life?

If gets me down a great deal of the time. I always find people asking me if I am married and/or have kids. And they seemed shocked that I am not/give me a hard time about it. Makes me feel like sh@it.

I def did not follow the cookie cutter lifestyle as most do. I'm pretty independent I guess you could say.

Just wondering if there is hope. I'm a normal guy and find that people seem to think of me as attractive, but I just don't know.

Is that part of life over for someone in this situation? I mean no more dating..and just living life solo until death?

Very, very discouraged with the situation.

Thanks for your opinions.

Seriously??? A person would find someone when they are not looking for it .. People who are looking for it actively have too many high expectations.... Just enjoy your life..

Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,051,825 times
Relationships are becoming harder for people born 1980 thanks to a certain demographic being influenced by liberation movements.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,447,540 times
People above 30 on this thread know 30 is very young. I would side with them, since I started my family at almost 40 -

but I also remember being 30, with the same questions, wondering why my dream of having a family doesn't come true, worrying about age, watching years slipping by like water through my fingers...

Looking back, I can see all the puzzle pieces had to come together, but I didn't know about it then. For example, now I know I was inexperienced and immature regarding what to expect in relationships, at 30, I needed some "field training". But the hurt of this training was real nevertheless. I understand.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,447,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
But still, that's ridiculous. Why do they marry so late? What's their wait?
By your calculations (you aim at having 3 kids before 29) - you should already be married and have a baby - you said so yourself. So this part of the plan has not come true yet. Do you have a steady girl at least? Someone you are planning to propose to? If not, you do realize you need time to meet someone? To make sure it's the right person who you won't divorce from 5 years later? It may take a year or 2 or 5, right? Do you have all the support in place, in case she needs to be a stay at home mom? In case one of your kids has a disability? If you need some time to build a nest egg, it will take a few years, right? May I suggest before hurling judgement at people, show us an example, show up here proudly with 3 kids, with a stable marriage. Then you will be believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships