U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 AM

28,205 posts, read 47,602,006 times

Advertisements

Virginia leads the nation in the percentage of marriages between blacks and whites, a new study by the Pew Research Center shows, barely four decades after state laws criminalizing interracial marriage were struck down by the Supreme Court. And one in five new married couples in the District crossed racial and ethnic lines.

Intermarriage rates soar as stereotypes fall - The Washington Post

Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,678,524 times
What a surprise: people acting civil and becoming smarter as time progresses. And people miss the 50s why again?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM

650 posts, read 1,003,677 times
Scientifically, "race" doesn't even exist

Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM

23,629 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Virginia leads the nation in the percentage of marriages between blacks and whites, a new study by the Pew Research Center shows, barely four decades after state laws criminalizing interracial marriage were struck down by the Supreme Court. And one in five new married couples in the District crossed racial and ethnic lines.

Intermarriage rates soar as stereotypes fall - The Washington Post
I'm surprised and Virginia is supposed to be a "racist" state, which I'm consistenly reminded of when I tell folks I'm from Virginia, in Kentucky no less.

Actually my mother had been married to a white guy for a bit while living in VA and no one had any issue with it, except my father. Northern and Southeastern VA are especially friendly for interracial couples, from personal experience.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM

650 posts, read 1,003,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm surprised and Virginia is supposed to be a "racist" state, which I'm consistenly reminded of when I tell folks I'm from Virginia, in Kentucky no less.

Actually my mother had been married to a white guy for a bit while living in VA and no one had any issue with it, except my father. Northern and Southeastern VA are especially friendly for interracial couples, from personal experience.
the military became inegrated far ahead of rest of USA, so I would imaginge Virginia Beach area would be mixed?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,910,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

Many of the most racist and segregated cities and states are ones with the highest amount of minorities. Where there are more minorities, there will be more interracial marriages.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
the military became inegrated far ahead of rest of USA, so I would imaginge Virginia Beach area would be mixed?
That's a very diverse area. When I visited there I was surprised at how many Latino and Asian families (and interracial families) were residents of the Va. Beach area.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 AM

474 posts, read 400,649 times
As I mentioned again, this study only talks about White and Black relationships, and the fall in stereotypes I believe is attributing to the fall in negative stereotypes of African Americans. However, the stereotypes against Asian Indians are actually increasing by the day and Asian American men are more and more shown as the undateable ugly pariahs that no one wants. So yeah the negative stereotypes heaped against one minority group has decreased(in this case African Americans) while the negative stereotypes against another minority group(Asian men) are not only encouraged but also appreciated by White bread America.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,401,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
As I mentioned again, this study only talks about White and Black relationships, and the fall in stereotypes I believe is attributing to the fall in negative stereotypes of African Americans. However, the stereotypes against Asian Indians are actually increasing by the day and Asian American men are more and more shown as the undateable ugly pariahs that no one wants. So yeah the negative stereotypes heaped against one minority group has decreased(in this case African Americans) while the negative stereotypes against another minority group(Asian men) are not only encouraged but also appreciated by White bread America.
I don't believe it's because no one wants these men.

In the case of Asian Indian/Pakistani, I believe it's a cultural thing, especially if they are first generation. These people are still tied to the cultural beliefs of their parents and countries. Most American women will NOT change themselves (and many will have to) to be accepted into the "family". I know I wouldn't.

Asian men of far east descent suffer the same problem if they're first generation as well, but it's not as bad or strict. The good thing about them is that their parents aren't trying to set them up with someone from "back home" or who share the same cultural/religious beliefs as Asian Indian/Pakistani men.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,558,796 times
I guess in some places that's news.

[so common around where I am that it's not worth mentioning]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships