Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 AM

355 posts, read 615,709 times

Advertisements

A recent study showed that people who believe such studies are not really bright.

BTW, this seems like a big forum. Is there a single person here who conducts such studies? I mean, i would just reaaaaly like to meet a person who gets paid to do such a useless job. Maybe someone got a friend of a friend who does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
The link was broken.

Single people may die younger, new study finds - Health - Behavior - msnbc.com

I thought this was old news?

Well, I knew it already from previous studies. I didn't, however, know that single people die a whole decade earlier than married people.
May?
Dumping half of data because they purged divorced and widower/ed people?
There would be a large set of criteria for early/late death, other than being married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
It's because they have nobody to vent to/relieve stress with. Duh. If you think about it, you lose about a year and a half of life for every decade you're single. That sucks.
So, we're single.
Does that mean we don't have any friends or ways to relieve stress?
You're kidding, right?

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-21-2012 at 02:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
Well a house cat lives longer too, but how it must suck being a house cat

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
how could this be true.

the married people that i know are almost always more stressed because they have familied to support and they have less opportunities because they're tied down.

not to mention all the fighting, resentments etc.

also by single do you mean not married.. or a hermit who lives in isolation?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I have less stress since being single and I doubt I'll die of loneliness

Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
My guess is home cooked meals play a big role. When we were single my wife and I both ate a much unhealthier diet than we do today. Some things just don't seem worth preparing for one person.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
yea, this is something that actuaries have been saying and using forever

Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
If the studies are accurate, it makes sense on some levels. Having a spouse means, at least theoretically, you have someone looking after you that has your best interests at heart, and will try to help you get medical care when you need it, eat better. Depression supposedly is common with many older single people who live alone. However, there are so many factors that have to do with longevity, I wouldn't put much stock in it. It could also be that people that had long term chronic illnesses, mental illness, addictions, or were handicapped were less likely to get married or stay married, and probably likely to have a shorter life span. Bottom line is that I doubt being married has much to do with longevity. I know several recent widows, and some of them are happier after their spouse died.

Lets face it, lots of people are unhappily married. In fact, I think that most people who are in long term marriages are unhappy. Spouse dies, leaves a nice big payment from their life insurance, stops running up medical bills, spouse is free to take trips, go out, buy some new furniture, less stress taking care of sick and dying spouse. That sounds like less stress, not more. I know quite a few widows, and I don't know but one or two who really miss the spouse.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 AM

307 posts, read 630,961 times
I found this an interesting enough article to pull up the original study. Marital Trajectories and Mortality Among US Adults

It looks like the benefit to men is mostly the safer lifestyle, better diet and going to the doctor more often. The benefit to women looks mostly economic.

They also looked at the studies on how divorce lowers your life expectancy and found that was mostly due to economics and could be counteracted by improving your economic situation.

Quote:
This finding supports the argument that marriage length protects men's health by providing a lasting supportive environment that encourages reduced tobacco use and alcohol consumption, improved diet and exercise, and utilization of preventive care to detect and treat illnesses (4, 26, 32, 45, 46).

Women's hazard ratios were attenuated most by socioeconomic factors and less by behavioral and health factors. These findings support the argument that long marriages protect women's health by increasing financial stability, wealth, and the health-purchasing resources needed to access quality health care, pay for costly treatments, and afford prophylactic lifestyles (29, 31, 47).

Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
A recent study showed that people who believe such studies are not really bright.

BTW, this seems like a big forum. Is there a single person here who conducts such studies? I mean, i would just reaaaaly like to meet a person who gets paid to do such a useless job. Maybe someone got a friend of a friend who does that?
you're kidding, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships