Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I already graduated in a practical major but can't find a job yay me! but I didn't like that major anyway, I just did it so my family would be happy..
I think I'm more afraid of running out time, I guess if I were having a good time in youth I wouldn't have this fear but I'm not.. I'm trying.. but it's not happening .. I guess if I lived a good youth then I wouldn't mind getting older
Time for you to grow up and get on with your adult life.

What are your career/employment plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
I guess this is the right forum..

I'm 23 and I have this obsessive fear of getting older, and moving into to later adulthood.. I don't want to be my parents.. and it scares me? Like the part when you have a job you hate, and kids and marriage, and then you have to be this person.. does anyone ever feel like this?
Your choices are aging and death. You can choose either.
You make your life.
I'm old and have a great life.

I live in Europe, travel weekly, enjoy friends, music and life.
I'm single, childfree and envy the life I live.

You choose to be happy or not.
No one forces you to be any one thing.

But, as far as anyone can tell, you only get one go at it.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
I think it's such a waste of emotion to fear something that's inevitable. And something that doesn't have to be bad to boot. I like myself a lot better middle-aged than I ever did in my 20s. I don't see how anyone could stand me then. We ride on our looks at that time I think.

I did, however, cry on my 20th birthday. Every birthday after that was no big deal.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
I'm 48. When I was your age I was having the best time of my life and I never gave a thought towards aging.

As other people have said, life is what you make it. No-one can turn back time and no-one can stop time marching onwards.

Each period of our life can bring so much joy and happiness. Our roaring 20s of being carefree and having the world at our feet. Our fantastic 30s where we might settle down and have kids. Our 40s where we have that satisfying sense of wisdom coupled with financial security. Then onto our 50s and beyond.

Each period can also have terrible lows. We get through them.

Try to stop mulling over aging and concentrate on cultivating your friendships, getting a job and thinking about how you want the rest of your life to look.

We have but one life, enjoy it

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I'm also 48, and letting fear of anything rule you is sad. I've done this in many ways, and it has impacted the quality of my life. Don't be like me!!! Who says people have to end up married with kids and feel trapped? That life can be very rewarding if you pick the right person to share it with. And although you can't see it now, those years spent raising children pass very quickly.

Don't rush into anything, but the good news is, at this point time is on your side.

Last edited by SandyCo; 02-21-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM

461 posts, read 922,712 times
I've reached a point where I've accepted this is who I am today. That way I can take each day as a chance for improving my life in some way without getting caught up on mistakes I made in the past, or mistakes I may make in the future.

Of course, I have thoughts here and there of past relationships or decisions, but they are fleeting and I don't let them linger. When I die, I'll die and there's nothing I can do about it, but I can do a lot in the time prior to that to make me happy.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
No need to be scared. I cant wait to get older. I have no plans of marriage or children (no one says I have to) but I cant wait to finish grad school and progress my career. I can wait to travel and meet new people. I work hard and play harder and I am newly single and loving life so much right now. I cant wait to see what happens in my future since I feel like I've made so much of my present (especially after being in some less than stellar relationships over the past few years).

Don't live with fear of the future and never look at the past with regrets.

Last edited by findly185; 02-21-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,632 times
Life is like a book....and each decade a new chapter opens....and it should be exciting and dramatic and challenging.....a life well lives will be like a thick exciting pageturner!!!

Why fear each new chapter? Why not relish each new day? God knows how long each of our stories will be, the characters we will meet....our roles, our tragedies and joys. Enjoy your life and pray for a LONG, LONG story.

But you've only just begun.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Don't fear it, embrace it!

One of the best things about life is that you get to make your own choices. If you don't want to become your parents, don't. You don't have to follow their path....it's all up to you.

But you do have to MAKE those choices or life will make the decisions for you. Growing up/older is inevitable. If you don't like the way it's going, give yourself an intervention and re-invent yourself.

Self determination is a great thing. But you do have to exercise your option to make your life your own.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
I guess this is the right forum..

I'm 23 and I have this obsessive fear of getting older, and moving into to later adulthood.. I don't want to be my parents.. and it scares me? Like the part when you have a job you hate, and kids and marriage, and then you have to be this person.. does anyone ever feel like this?
Grow up.

You live long enough you're gonna get old, then you die.

That's life, get used to it.

Occupy your time with things that make you happy.

But believe me, you will get old if you're lucky enough, and if you're really lucky you'll share that time with someone special.

Get over yourself the sun does not rise and set on your command you share the planet with billions of other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships