Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times

Advertisements

I guess this is the right forum..

I'm 23 and I have this obsessive fear of getting older, and moving into to later adulthood.. I don't want to be my parents.. and it scares me? Like the part when you have a job you hate, and kids and marriage, and then you have to be this person.. does anyone ever feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 PM

17 posts, read 19,914 times
I'm angry that 21 is pass me and I'm only 23. lol

Yes I understand but don't dwell on it. Enjoy being young for now. It won't last. If it helps your 7 more years away from 30(actually that doesn't help but it give you an idea to not dwell on the future. Take it slow)

Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Sounds like you're more afraid of growing up than aging itself. If you make decent life choices, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Pick a PRACTICAL major in college that you like, get a good job making decent money, network within the workplace and in your field, meet someone who is in a similar line of work, voila.

I should start charging for my services here.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times
I think everyone fears growing up. You can't control your age, but you can control all the other stuff. You can control how fast you move on certain things. Simply don't get married or have kids until you are ready for that. Jobs are tough, so it's usually pretty hard to find one which means it's usually best to keep a job once you get it. But if you do come across a job you hate, quietly look for a new job, then once you find one...you can quit the current job. Owning a house is a big part too, which is why some people prefer to live in apartments. Sometimes it's easier that way. I'm 22 so I know what you're going through. The main thing is to not let it get to you. The best thing to do is go through life at your own pace & not rush anything, if that makes sense?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Sounds like you're more afraid of growing up than aging itself. If you make decent life choices, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Pick a PRACTICAL major in college that you like, get a good job making decent money, network within the workplace and in your field, meet someone who is in a similar line of work, voila.

I should start charging for my services here.
i already graduated in a practical major but can't find a job yay me! but i didnt like that major anyway, i just did it so my family would be happy..
i think im more afraid of running out time, i guess if i were having a good time in youth i wouldn't have this fear but i'm not.. im trying.. but its not happening .. i guess if i lived a good youth then i wouldn't mind getting older

Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post

I'm 23 and I have this obsessive fear of getting older, and moving into to later adulthood.. I don't want to be my parents.. and it scares me? Like the part when you have a job you hate, and kids and marriage, and then you have to be this person.. does anyone ever feel like this?
You don't have to have kids and marriage. You also don't have to have a job you hate, although that one's a little harder to control.

A few years ago I worried about things like this. Now that I'm 26 I know that life isn't planned out and I can just enjoy myself. I used to think I was supposed to do the whole "get married, have 2 and a half kids and then get a house in suburbia" but luckily I realized it doesn't have to be like that. I have a girlfriend and could see myself married to her, but we don't need to do that. Even if we do we'll probably just elope.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 AM

461 posts, read 782,509 times
It is up to you how you live your life, no matter what your circumstances were when young. It's also ok to feel fear while making your way in life. Just don't let it paralyze you.

My biggest fear is not having courage. I love this quote from Shakespeare:

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:

Who said you have to take that route? If you don't wish to be like how your parents are, don't be how your parents are. It's your life and you only get one so ignore social pressures, forget about whatever expectations others have of you, and do what you want to do. It's really that simple.

Don't be afraid to be selfish sometimes.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:

No, I'm too busy living my own life and doing what I want to do.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No, I'm too busy living my own life and doing what I want to do.
lucky you /sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships