Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Why is this even a question? The influence of the media and history's sexism is showing.

lol@ sexism...it's only "sexism" when it doesn't work in your favor.

No one's yelling "sexism" when the check comes...lol

Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
lol@ sexism...it's only "sexism" when it doesn't work in your favor.

No one's yelling "sexism" when the check comes...lol
I don't see the point in denying sexism. It exists in one form or another and it always will regardless of how much we try to attach a sense of shame or guilt onto the concept.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It's an delusion and people are starting to see that....waking up to it. The operative word was 'average' man and woman. There are just as many women who age well as men but the average man and woman are equal in that arena. I'm talking about looks here, nothing more.
It's delusional to insinuate that "looks" are equally valued between men and women when it comes to attraction and potential long term partnership. Men are generally valued for their finances; physical appeal is just a bonus. Women are generally valued for their appearance, while their financial value is more of a minor incentive. No amount of arguing is going to change that reality.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
with the quarterlife crisis comes another for twenty five year old girls everywhere; fear of fading youth. though technically we have 5 more years of perky youthfulness on our side, it is hard to look sideways when the men we want to date seem to bypass us for the freshly blossomed 21 year olds joining the dating pool.
so what do you, smart nerdy men at city-data think of 25 year old girls? Are they past their prime?How at this point in their life should they be navigating the dating pool to capitalize most of whats left of their beauty and youth?
I'm no smart, nerdy, CD male, but the bolded here is key. Are they past their prime as girls? Hopefully. As women? They're just getting started.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
It's delusional to insinuate that "looks" are equally valued between men and women when it comes to attraction and potential long term partnership. Men are generally valued for their finances; physical appeal is just a bonus. Women are generally valued for their appearance, while their financial value is more of a minor incentive. No amount of arguing is going to change that reality.
There are plenty of men out there who still value a woman as a whole person, not just her looks. I'm 54 and have no problem whatsoever getting asked out, looks and attention from men. And I know I don't look 20 or 30 anymore. Not all men are shallow, trust me. Not all women are shallow.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
I don't see the point in denying sexism. It exists in one form or another and it always will regardless of how much we try to attach a sense of shame or guilt onto the concept.
How is this an issue involving sexism, or the endorsing the idea that one sex is better than the other?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
There are plenty of men out there who still value a woman as a whole person, not just her looks. I'm 54 and have no problem whatsoever getting asked out, looks and attention from men. And I know I don't look 20 or 30 anymore. Not all men are shallow, trust me. Not all women are shallow.
Yes but surely you can agree that men of younger ages have a different concept of what they appreciate in a woman than a man your age?

Not trying to make fun of your age I just want to know if my assumption that what a man looks for in a lady changes overtime as men mature.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
How is this an issue involving sexism, or the endorsing the idea that one sex is better than the other?
The question is implying that a woman is only "good" or "worthwhile" at a certain age. It's the same as asking if a man is still worthwhile once he's out of money or doesn't have a job or something.

Unless we're talking about physical fitness or health (which no one is) then there's no reason to apply this question to only women, so it was implying that women are only good if they can have babies or something. There's more to life than having babies and looking pretty for people, or having a job to support babies and be bread winner for your housewife.

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Yes but surely you can agree that men of younger ages have a different concept of what they appreciate in a woman than a man your age?

Not trying to make fun of your age I just want to know if my assumption that what a man looks for in a lady changes overtime as men mature.
I would guess that what all of us look for changes and tempers with age.

Quote:
The issue involves sexism as men and women look at their partners and what they value in them differently due to their sex. It is equal opportunity sexism if their ever was such a thing.

Men like the hot young chicks and women like the rich older provider. It is what it is. Why not call the kettle black ya know? Sure there are some who disagree with me but to deny that this line of thinking doesn't exist or that it isn't what the majority secretly thinks despite whatever may come out of their mouths or via their keyboards is nothing short of wishful thinking.

I just don't see the point in denying the sexism in this area exists or why we feel the need to sugar coat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships