Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Love 27 49.09%
Money 28 50.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know what's wrong with so many people's reading comprehension. Nobody's talking about money, money. The scenario specifies pretty much abject poverty and I'm not really aware of too many fans of it in reality. Of course, they all seem to reside on forums.
You can be a broke miserable person or you can be a miserable person with lots of money, either way you are still miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It's not just a certain amount of money, though, it's never having to worry about finances ever again, along with not having to work if one so chooses. That's pretty much my number one dream!
Don't worry, I don't judge you. You have the right to your preferences. Money is not a bad thing, it's just that I don't value it over love. And BTW you don't have to worry about finances if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
True, in real life. But in this make believe scenario the issue is that no matter what you do, you'll never earn enough to get any further than barely scraping by.
I'd still choose love then.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Thats how I took the second option. With that being said, I would most certainly choose love. The OP said "But remember, no matter how many women you manage to date, none of them will ever want an actual relationship with you. You might get sex or you might not, but no matter what, none of them will ever love you." I assumed this meant you would NEVER have kids. Thus never have a family of your own.
Well the OP does specify that you can adopt children or have friends in the "loveless but rich scenario. I think he or she mentioned surrogates too, so in case you care about genealogical/genetic legacy, a sperm donor (if you are a woman) or a surrogate mother (if you are a man) could help you get a kid.

So, while you might not be able to have a marriage, you could technically be a single father or single mother -- now if your child loves you, and you find that fulfilling in life (maybe some people feel more strongly about having kids rather than a partner/spouse). I personally am not quite sure if I want kids myself but that's a side note. If you have love from kids but no spouse, I don't know if that's a loophole in the no love scenario. Also, if friends are included, I guess you could make a "surrogate family", with a platonic friend helping you raise a child (again, maybe this was against the OP's intent to work around the scenario, or I'm overthinking it).

It seems like this kind of question is meant as a reflection on the value of two things, as a trade-off, if push came to shove, which would you give up -- love or money as the title. Now, the question is if love given up or accepted was defined only as romantic love or familial/parental and platonic love has to be also relinquished.

If you take the argument to its extreme, where even familial/friendship ties are cut, then I'm guessing very, very few people would take money. A lot of money really is not just to make life for ourselves easier but for social functions (eg. to be spend on partners, family, friends) or related to social things (eg. you could buy a big house/car both for your family and/or then partly to show off your social circle), but if you had no social circle, then a lot of money's potential is taken away (used for only things a lone person can enjoy).

Last edited by Stumbler.; 02-22-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I assumed this meant you would NEVER have kids. Thus never have a family of your own.
If you'll notice I said you could adopt or use a surrogate or donor to have children if you wanted them. Also, you may still very well have friends, assuming you're the kind of person who has friends in the first place (not meaning YOU particularly, but depending on each person answering the poll). So you could have kids, and (casual) dates, and friends, but never a romantic partner of any serious nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
And BTW you don't have to worry about finances if you don't want to.
I'd say if you may not be able to afford to buy food next week, or you're not sure you can pay the rent next month, that would be plenty cause for worry for most people. Never in my life has money, or the lack of it, NOT been at least a moderate concern, so being financially comfortable AND not having to work unless I chose to would be a dream come true for me. Whereas, for me at least, love would simply be a nice thing to happen, but no big deal if it didn't (since I can't reasonably expect it to anyway). Of course, that's just me.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Option 2.

I can always BUY "love".

Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
You can be a broke miserable person or you can be a miserable person with lots of money, either way you are still miserable.
Actually, money can buy a lot of comfort and joy, which can't be said about many a relationship.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I'd say if you may not be able to afford to buy food next week, or you're not sure you can pay the rent next month, that would be plenty cause for worry for most people. Never in my life has money, or the lack of it, NOT been at least a moderate concern, so being financially comfortable AND not having to work unless I chose to would be a dream come true for me. Whereas, for me at least, love would simply be a nice thing to happen, but no big deal if it didn't (since I can't reasonably expect it to anyway). Of course, that's just me.
Quote:
Actually, money can buy a lot of comfort and joy, which can't be said about many a relationship.
This is an interesting read.

http://carlsonschool.umn.edu/assets/166145.pdf

Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I stopped reading when I got to this:

People who are wealthy have jobs to uphold

These people are not wealthy. They're wage slaves like you and me.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I stopped reading when I got to this:

People who are wealthy have jobs to uphold

These people are not wealthy. They're wage slaves like you and me.
Whether you agree with some of the points made or claimed in the article or not, the topic itself is thought-provoking about what the role of money in relation to happiness and influence in the social realm and how it affects our behaviour.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I would rather be broke and hungry than to be in a some of the relationships that we read about on here. As a matter of fact, many relationships I see are a pathetic attempt at love.

But Love... real love, for me is priceless and to be treasured above all, even the almighty dollar.

Last edited by moonsavvy; 02-22-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships