Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 AM

395 posts, read 707,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Yes he was and is alive and well.
He finally called while on his way to work saying Hey what's up, why didn't you call me? I explained that I was sick with a cold and my doc gave me another week off from work.he was silent, then he said I thought you went to work today, I responded that had he checked up on me he would've known that I didn't. He got defensive and started rambling about how he has to make the move to call, blah blah blah then he hung up saying that he didn't want to argue. I never even mentioned Vday and how I felt.

I dumped him via text after he hung up on me (my stitches were still fresh and I did not want them to rip from yelling anger) in the text I simply said "Do yourself a favor and just lose my number. It's clear that you aren't the man for me and I'm not the woman for you." I haven't heard from him since. Not for my bday the next day, nothing.

I'm still angry about the situation..this is a man claimed to be in love with me.
Has this type of thing happened before in previous relationships or is this a one off with this guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You know all this stuff about Valentine's Day being a marketing ploy is just plain dribble. It's only a 'ploy' if you succumb to that drivel, otherwise it is a day of devotion to the one's you love.
Thank you! I'm willing to wager that if the Bitter Bobs and Betties here who complain about Valentine's Day being a marketing ploy were to receive a thoughtful, romantic token of affection that day, they'd be singing a different tune.

Me, personally, in addition to the usual fun with my other half, I think back on the Valentine's Days of my childhood--giving out Valentine's cards in class, making Valentines for my parents with red construction paper, Elmer's glue, and glitter, and then my father coming home from his long commute and giving each of his four daughters a small box of chocolates, and my mother the big, fancy box. There weren't any over-the-top gestures. Just a sweet tradition that he took a lot of joy in celebrating.

And anyone who wants to disparage that can kiss my heart-shaped little fanny.

Thank you and good night.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Thank you! I'm willing to wager that if the Bitter Bobs and Betties here who complain about Valentine's Day being a marketing ploy were to receive a thoughtful, romantic token of affection that day, they'd be singing a different tune.

Me, personally, in addition to the usual fun with my other half, I think back on the Valentine's Days of my childhood--giving out Valentine's cards in class, making Valentines for my parents with red construction paper, Elmer's glue, and glitter, and then my father coming home from his long commute and giving each of his four daughters a small box of chocolates, and my mother the big, fancy box. There weren't any over-the-top gestures. Just a sweet tradition that he took a lot of joy in celebrating.

Thank you for your wonderful post, Yzette. I sometimes think those who disparage Valentines are the ones who seldom got one.

We always enjoyed Valentines Day at our house when my girls were growing up - decorating a box with stickers and hearts for the Valentine's Day party at school, and baking Valentine's cookies. I have a large heart shaped cookie cutter, and we'd bake pink, sugar coated heart cutouts to give out instead of Valentine cards - I'd cover them in shrink wrap, then glue on a little poem - "Roses are red, sugar is sweet, here is a Valentine you can eat." I sometimes baked a Valentine cake with heart shaped cake pans, then we'd decorate it with pink and red icing. They still have fond memories of these little traditions. DH and I would go out for a special evening usually the following Saturday night, where we'd exchange our own Valentines. We still do, after all these years. I've saved every single Valentine he's given me (there are 32 now).

Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 AM

943 posts, read 3,333,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbrian View Post
Has this type of thing happened before in previous relationships or is this a one off with this guy?
No, and that's the part that kills me.. the last guy treated me to roses and dinner after working a double shift and we weren't even an item yet. He was great. And to be honest I would've been happy with the guy writing me a heart felt poem, just do something thoughtful and sweet. I've had some men treat me really well, including strangers and men that I've met while traveling (again strangers). There are no words to explain how unappreciated, unworthy and unloved I felt that day. Hell I still feel like that today.

But why would it even matter if this has happened before with prev men?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Yes he was and is alive and well.
He finally called while on his way to work saying Hey what's up, why didn't you call me? I explained that I was sick with a cold and my doc gave me another week off from work.he was silent, then he said I thought you went to work today, I responded that had he checked up on me he would've known that I didn't. He got defensive and started rambling about how he has to make the move to call, blah blah blah then he hung up saying that he didn't want to argue. I never even mentioned Vday and how I felt.

I dumped him via text after he hung up on me (my stitches were still fresh and I did not want them to rip from yelling anger) in the text I simply said "Do yourself a favor and just lose my number. It's clear that you aren't the man for me and I'm not the woman for you." I haven't heard from him since. Not for my bday the next day, nothing.

I'm still angry about the situation..this is a man claimed to be in love with me.
Happy belated birthday! You deserved better. I'd be more upset with missing your birthday but I know Valentines Day is important to many and a phone call would have been nice.

You all have been seeing each other for four months so I would think the communication would be better than that especially since you were sick.

The initial shock over what just happened will wear off and you will be better off in the long run. Best wishes to you!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Quote:
Thank you for your wonderful post, Yzette. I sometimes think those who disparage Valentines are the ones who seldom got one.
I've actually gotten Valentine's from other people besides my mother and I still think it's BS. , if I have an SO I'll give gifts on 2/13 just to spite the spirit of Valentine's Day and she has a problem with it not being on exactly on 2/14 she can take her resentment and stick it.

Quote:
You know all this stuff about Valentine's Day being a marketing ploy is just plain dribble. It's only a 'ploy' if you succumb to that drivel, otherwise it is a day of devotion to the one's you love.
Can't that "day of devotion" be any other day? Why should a SO care if it aint exactly 2/14?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
No, and that's the part that kills me.. the last guy treated me to roses and dinner after working a double shift and we weren't even an item yet. He was great.
So!!! Let's hear the rest of the story!!! Why no continuation!!! What happened to Mr. Romanticist!!!

I've never bought a Valentine's Day or Birthday card for anyone I've been involved with, no chocolates either, as I avoid commercial obligations!

It may hit me one day, how special this person has become to me, and pop for a trip somewhere to show my love and appreciation. But ain't gonna be around some commercial Valentine's Day!

You may have been too trigger-happy with this guy, he may have had a nice surprise for you somewhere down the line, and now it's: Your loss, someone else's gain!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
after 4 months, he should have known if Valentine's day was important to the OP or not....plus he knew her a while before then. If he thought it was all BS, he could've told her that prior to the day.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times
With what you have told us, I don't blame you one bit for dumping him. Good for you. Hope you're feeling better, and happy belated v-day and b-day.

On a side note, has he tried contacting you since the text?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 AM

943 posts, read 3,333,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
With what you have told us, I don't blame you one bit for dumping him. Good for you. Hope you're feeling better, and happy belated v-day and b-day.

On a side note, has he tried contacting you since the text?
Thank you, and no he hasn't.

And I have been back to work, he did not surprise me at work, my manager and colleagues would have notified me immediately, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships