Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM

672 posts, read 2,124,827 times

Advertisements

My question is about how others handle situations where you are in a vehicle together with your wife/husband ect., and get into a huge arguement with each other. Im the type who will get mad, sull-up, and want to get out of the vehicle, and get away from her for awhile. She could get mad at me and drive five hundred miles in total silence. I hate that. I once got mad, had her stop the van and let me out. Then, there I was, more or less stranded. I did get myself a way back home, but I realize this is not a good way to handle an on-the-road type spat. I just wonder if others have been in this situation, and how do you deal with it? There has to be a better way than what Ive described. But, when youre mad, and have no-where to go, what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
This is a bad sign-- someone trying to push your buttons- once when the stbx did this- I dared him to push me out- I had my cell- (he has a prior misdemeanor) IMO if a spouse is doing this- it is bad news....

sunny

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,600,553 times
Dennis this post is interesting, my husband and I drove in silence for just over 600 miles, we started off in southern Tennessee, had an argument at the Starbucks in Franklin, TN and didn't speak until about 630 miles later up in Michigan. This happens every once in a while, then a few days later we crack up about it

I don't know what the solution is -- but for me it is cooling off for a bit before I say something really stupid!!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,844,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
I don't know what the solution is -- but for me it is cooling off for a bit before I say something really stupid!!
That is how I am...

Old 09-07-2007, 03:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,627 times
When it comes to someone you love, its better discussing to understand than fighting to win - otherwise you both lose.

Our rule: If it still won't matter six months from now, its not worth getting worked up over.

600 miles of silence is just plain nuts - what if those were your last hours on this earth?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
This only happened to me in one relationship and only happened twice. The second time, I got out at the next light and said, "see ya". Never saw the guy again. It's one thing to have disagreements, quite another to have such heated exchanges that there is no truce called.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,224,652 times
Let's face it, arguments happen in life. For someone to think they want to get OUT OF A VEHICLE anywhere other than their own driveway is just asinine. Not only is it unsafe it accomplishes nothing.

When my husband & I have a disagreement and it degrades to the point where someone starts to yell the other one of us will typically make an announcement that this discussion is over for right now. If it is important enough for either one of us to bring it up again we have a standing 48 hour rule. Mostly, after we take the time to think it over we realize that it was a pointless argument and it does not get mentioned again.

Your wife has the right idea. After all, Silence Is Golden.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I think insisting on getting out of the vehicle is compromising your safety. If you get so angry that anyone's safe is compromised (your own or your partner's), I think that is a sign of a serious problem. Always be safe - whatever you are arguing about isn't worth your health or your life.

Driving in silence is annoying, but at least it is safe. Use the time to sort out your thoughts. And you can always go your separate ways once you have arrived safely at your destination.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
I have never been in an abusive relationship and left the vehicle after a gut instinct. Never did it before, have never done since. About a year later I heard that he had been arrested for domestic violence. I don't regret stepping out at that stoplight!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
My question is about how others handle situations where you are in a vehicle together with your wife/husband ect., and get into a huge arguement with each other. Im the type who will get mad, sull-up, and want to get out of the vehicle, and get away from her for awhile. She could get mad at me and drive five hundred miles in total silence. I hate that. I once got mad, had her stop the van and let me out. Then, there I was, more or less stranded. I did get myself a way back home, but I realize this is not a good way to handle an on-the-road type spat. I just wonder if others have been in this situation, and how do you deal with it? There has to be a better way than what Ive described. But, when youre mad, and have no-where to go, what do you do?
I would avoid driving with her ever again, or as much as I could...you could have an accident...and you should really try not to let it get to that point...Tell you a secret...what I try and do, is talk to myself, when I feel I just am about to split...and keep saying over and over again...winning this is NOT THAT IMPORTANT, and really, when you have to win at all costs....you really loose...yanno?

Hugs
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships