U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Webster Groves, MO
1,104 posts, read 1,809,784 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

This question only applies to those that are struggling somewhat financially. If you are doing well financially then I hope it would be an easy choice. It also only applies to people that have no real thoughts on getting divorced. The basis is would you give up your marriage in order to stabilize life for both you and your kids financially?

Would you divorce your spouse for money? I guess everyone's price would be a little different, but let's say you would each get $1 million, but would have to get divorced and have no more romantic contact with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
 
5,387 posts, read 6,167,060 times
Reputation: 4546
If I were married, then no, I would absolutely not divorce a beloved wife, just for the sake of having more money. The only legitimate reasons for divorce, IMO, are if one of the spouses is cheating on or abusing the other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Webster Groves, MO
1,104 posts, read 1,809,784 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
If I were married, then no, I would absolutely not divorce a beloved wife, just for the sake of having more money. The only legitimate reasons for divorce, IMO, are if one of the spouses is cheating on or abusing the other...
Well that sounds like most likely for religious reasons. If that's the case then it would be a hard decision to make. What if the Bible did not frown upon divorce? Would that change your stance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
 
5,387 posts, read 6,167,060 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Well that sounds like most likely for religious reasons. If that's the case then it would be a hard decision to make. What if the Bible did not frown upon divorce? Would that change your stance?
In response to bolded section of questions above: no, even if I were not religious or my religious beliefs did not frown upon divorce, I would still strongly prefer to never divorce, unless there was was adultery or abuse factors in the equation. Must be the die-hard romantic in me, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 13,455,191 times
Reputation: 14741
I'm not married, but I think it would take more than a million dollars (assuming we were happily married). I'm not sure how much it would take, but they say every man has his price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,051,064 times
Reputation: 9171
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
This question only applies to those that are struggling somewhat financially. If you are doing well financially then I hope it would be an easy choice. It also only applies to people that have no real thoughts on getting divorced. The basis is would you give up your marriage in order to stabilize life for both you and your kids financially?

Would you divorce your spouse for money? I guess everyone's price would be a little different, but let's say you would each get $1 million, but would have to get divorced and have no more romantic contact with each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
If I were married, then no, I would absolutely not divorce a beloved wife, just for the sake of having more money. The only legitimate reasons for divorce, IMO, are if one of the spouses is cheating on or abusing the other...


Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Well that sounds like most likely for religious reasons. If that's the case then it would be a hard decision to make. What if the Bible did not frown upon divorce? Would that change your stance?
Knight made no reference at all about religion so why are you bringing that up? They are stating that money is not the sole reason to divorce their spouse. I don't think your initial question is detailed enough. It seems that you are asking if people are happily married would they divorce ONLY so they could each get $1 million? And you can no longer have any romantic connection to them? Money does not solve anything. I've been in financial straights and fortunately hubby and I were able to stick it out and NOT let it ruin the marriage. Wow, that's pretty selfish to give up your life with your spouse for money. I have to say, living in NYC, a million bucks doesn't get you very far these days. I'd pay off my mortgage and have a few extra bucks invested but I'd still have to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,051,064 times
Reputation: 9171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
In response to bolded section of questions above: no, even if I were not religious or my religious beliefs did not frown upon divorce, I would still strongly prefer to never divorce, unless there was was adultery or abuse factors in the equation. Must be the die-hard romantic in me, I guess...
Knight, I'm with you on this. This question almost exemplifies how serious some people view marriage. Even if I was offered $10 million, I wouldn't divorce my husband and have no connection with him. And what message does that send to our kids? "Mommy and Daddy still love you but we LOVE money more."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
 
2,495 posts, read 3,382,037 times
Reputation: 4835
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
This question only applies to those that are struggling somewhat financially. If you are doing well financially then I hope it would be an easy choice. It also only applies to people that have no real thoughts on getting divorced. The basis is would you give up your marriage in order to stabilize life for both you and your kids financially?

Would you divorce your spouse for money? I guess everyone's price would be a little different, but let's say you would each get $1 million, but would have to get divorced and have no more romantic contact with each other.
i'd like to know exactly how this part of the scenario will be enforced Just kidding...hell no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Webster Groves, MO
1,104 posts, read 1,809,784 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post



Knight made no reference at all about religion so why are you bringing that up? They are stating that money is not the sole reason to divorce their spouse. I don't think your initial question is detailed enough. It seems that you are asking if people are happily married would they divorce ONLY so they could each get $1 million? And you can no longer have any romantic connection to them? Money does not solve anything. I've been in financial straights and fortunately hubby and I were able to stick it out and NOT let it ruin the marriage. Wow, that's pretty selfish to give up your life with your spouse for money. I have to say, living in NYC, a million bucks doesn't get you very far these days. I'd pay off my mortgage and have a few extra bucks invested but I'd still have to work.
First off the reason I stated religion is because what other basis is there for divorce being wrong? When you take a vow, you do it in a religious ceremony in a church. Human morality is entrenched in the Bible and religion. An amicable, agreed upon divorce would not be morally wrong if the Bible did not say it was. Now if one person is forcing the divorce then there is the aspect of causing pain to the other person. So that could be considered immoral outside of the realm of religion. But if both parties agree to the divorce, then there is no morality outside of religion to state it's wrong.

My point is that if you struggle for money, would you divorce to be financially independent. As a 44 year old teacher I will make only slightly more than a million dollars working until I'm 70 years old. So that is a substantial monetary upgrade. For my wife to get the same monetary boost, our kids would benefit greatly. College would be paid for, and we would never have to worry if the bills were going to be paid on time. Many of the things that the kids enjoy doing they would get to do. Obviously many of the issues that come with a typical divorce (like hating the other party), that tend to be awful for children, would not be a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,051,064 times
Reputation: 9171
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
First off the reason I stated religion is because what other basis is there for divorce being wrong? When you take a vow, you do it in a religious ceremony in a church. Says who? How do Athiests get married? You do realize that you can get married in a civil courthouse? Human morality is entrenched in the Bible and religion. An amicable, agreed upon divorce would not be morally wrong if the Bible did not say it was. Now if one person is forcing the divorce then there is the aspect of causing pain to the other person. So that could be considered immoral outside of the realm of religion. But if both parties agree to the divorce, then there is no morality outside of religion to state it's wrong. That's your story and you're sticking to it, huh? Forget religion. You never mentioned it in your OP, nor did the other poster. You want to throw religion in the mix? Money is the root of all evil. Need I say more?

My point is that if you struggle for money, would you divorce to be financially independent. As a 44 year old teacher I will make only slightly more than a million dollars working until I'm 70 years old. So that is a substantial monetary upgrade. For my wife to get the same monetary boost, our kids would benefit greatly. College would be paid for, and we would never have to worry if the bills were going to be paid on time. Many of the things that the kids enjoy doing they would get to do. Obviously many of the issues that come with a typical divorce (like hating the other party), that tend to be awful for children, would not be a factor.
You will NEVER be financially independent once you have children, have a mortgage, car and insurance payments, healthcare insurance, and not to mention that once you divorce there are 2 households, not one. What message are you sending to your children? It's ok to get divorced even though you love your spouse but money is FAR more important? I think you need to get your priorities straight. Money doesn't solve anything. Hubby and I have had our ups and downs and we got through them. Never had the thought come across our minds that money was going to ruin our marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top